Horning Busy This Weekend

Hylander

It's the Yare and Bure two day event on Black Horse broad, which would normally include a evening dinner on Saturday night, hence more people staying over night. The rest of the club had sunday normal river racing.

I also note the stern on mooring on swan green which as far as I know is not permitted by BA. If they were not away by the first race, It would make interesting Turning at the number 5 mark which is between the start line and southern comfort normally.

We're out for a few days this week ourselves. I have been checking some of the websites and it looks to me as if most of the hire boats are out. Probably lots of people doing exactly what we are doing - making the most of what should be the children's first full week back at school in most places. So I am expecting the rivers to be busy.

• Like 1

I doubt that the general reduction in BA 24 hour moorings has had a significant effect anywhere except perhaps in Horning where moorings are scarce anyway.

John, Whilst I agree that September is a great fishing time, I'm sure it has more to do with the fall in the price of hiring when the kiddywinks go back to school, and perhaps that there is more peace and quiet to be had when the area isn't infested with screaming kids.

• Like 1

Last week I passed Thurne mouth and noticed that long stretches of bank had no mooring signs. I am given to understand that the moorings in question used to come under the BA but have no gone back to the land owner.

Despite the signs, four boats from the Hunter yard had moored together with three hire boats.

What would happen if the land owner challenged these people and they said "sorry mate I'm not moving, and that's the end of the matter". He could hardly clamp them, sue them for trespass perhaps,, call the police, well they have limited resources these days, I cannot see a rapid response from an Acle interceptor on blues and two's.

Would he have the power to interfere with the moored boat on the grounds that it was illegally moored. However seven boats. The consequences of boats being cast adrift hardly bares thinking about.

So, to my mind prosecution would be the only way to go. But would that be financially practical or indeed result in a solution for the land owner.

Not that I'm advocating such a course of action as a hirer for a minute!

Andrew

Edited by Wussername

14 hours ago, TeamElla said:

It was as busy up to Wroxham as I have ever seen it in mid season.

Plenty of room at Coltishall though.

What do you think of the new night time view at Coltishall (complete with blunderbuss white floodlights)?

:shocked

IMG_1669.JPG

Re that lighting, report it to the BA, 'tis illegal as it impedes safe navigation. I reported similar at Oulton Broad, and also spoke to the pub manager, problem quickly solved.

58 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Now I always believed that there was a common law right to moor for the duration of a tide in the event of a foul tide or wind. No right to land though.

My understanding is that on tidal waters only that you are allowed to anchor for one full turn of the tide wherever you wish without charge or hindrance. Anchor in this instance refers to a single warp or line attached to the bank. it does not however give you the right to enter the land any further than two feet.

it makes sence I suppose when one considers that historically our waterways were used primarily for commercial use not for pleasure. To the best of my knowledge this practice, right or whatever you like to call it has never been altered or rescinded.

Andrew

PS Give it a go. Let me know how you get on!

15 hours ago, TeamElla said:

It was as busy up to Wroxham as I have ever seen it in mid season.

Plenty of room at Coltishall though.

What do you think of the new night time view at Coltishall (complete with blunderbuss white floodlights)?

:shocked

IMG_1669.JPG

four weeks tomorrow we'll be here for the best fish and chips ever .

2 hours ago, Jonzo said:

I think Woodbastwick Staithe recently becoming no mooring hasn't helped!

We've always noticed an increase in river traffic at this time of year, on other rivers as well, not just the Broads. I've always assumed it's because boats sit on their moorings week in week out with nobody going near them and then at the end of the summer the owners suddenly realise they're running out of time and start using their boats before it's too late. This doesn't account for  an increase in Hire boat traffic obviously. That must be down to lower charges on the back of the "return to School" I'd have thought,

Regards,

Carole

• Like 1

I agree about the lower charges, also noticed on some of the hire yard websites that most two berth boats are fully booked up, I would imagine the kids going back to school and the craziness of August is over, it's a chance for couples without or grown up children to have time to themselves with not too much hassle

Before our children came along we always hired in Sept/Oct time, a beautiful time of year to be out on the rivers

Grace

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wussername said:

My understanding is that on tidal waters only that you are allowed to anchor for one full turn of the tide wherever you wish without charge or hindrance. Anchor in this instance refers to a single warp or line attached to the bank. it does not however give you the right to enter the land any further than two feet.

it makes sence I suppose when one considers that historically our waterways were used primarily for commercial use not for pleasure. To the best of my knowledge this practice, right or whatever you like to call it has never been altered or rescinded.

Andrew

PS Give it a go. Let me know how you get on!

Whilst waiting for the tide at YH YS I have never been charged, provided that I have stayed with the boat. Did once make a stand when those chancers along the Acle Straight came along demanding a mooring fee when I moored outside the defunct Pontiac Roadhouse. I was still there in the morning!