It Was The Best Of Times, It Was The Worst Of Times Pt2

Cheesey

Day Three

Got to love Beccles, but most especially the Cod Palace, (I think it's called) two thumbs, way up.

Up and about early and enjoy a foggy sun rise to join a slow shuffle with other boaters toward the toilet block.

Also join in moans of dismay as the block is still locked at eight in the morning.

Back on boat, breakfast cooking (Egg and bacon sandwich. The galley department flat out) and gently cruising the upper reaches of the Waveney. Nothing to see but somehow cosy and friendly.

Under swing bridges safe in the knowledge that I can fit under them – unlike my fellow hirer behind me who forgot about his screens.

And on to the best magical trick the broads has to offer.

The New Cut. A length of river that the end seems never to get any closer and then suddenly- bam – it's there.

Love watching the strength of current around the swing bridge and not really caring because this small vessel has one hell of an engine.

Used to like mooring at Reedham but what local shops and pubs they have has long since lost their charm. It's just not worth the aggro trying to squeeze in.

But now I'm onto waters last explored a decade ago.

The Chet can wait until April and I marvel at the chain ferry while all the time convinced that the chains are going to be caught in my propeller.

I know I'm sad but the temple that is Chantley Sugar factory fascinates me and it calls like a lighthouse and I decide to stop there for the day.

Small Rant Number One.

Every one needs help sometimes, yes, even me.

I don't rush to help people moor up or shout mooring instructions because sometimes this causes embarrassment or I don’t know what the helmsman intends to do.

This was the latter.

The tide was behind me as well as the wind. The boat was equipped with a centre cleat at the bow which was manned by my female crew.

The plan was to kiss the bank with the bow, she steps off and wraps a turn or two around mooring post and the stern will gently come around with no fuss. I do it a lot with my rag and stick.

Not a good idea for Mr hire helpful.

He runs up shouting and waving his arms. Grabbing the mooring rope from the wife and shouting at me I've got to moor into the current and really messing every thing up by pushing the boat away from the bank.

Now everyone is looking at me while Mr Hire Helpful goes on to lecture about mooring styles after I spend another five minutes re-mooring to his standards.

Broads Observations.

Chantley has a really nice staithe and even the factory seems to add to the peace. A good circular walk.

Day Four.

Up early to watch the fog burn off from the river while eating a breakfast that will make my arteries climb from my body.

I have to admit that this boat is really something in the power department. Two meals and a night of TV and the batteries are only down to 90 percent. No gas all 240v.

We noticed more boats coming from Norwich direction than going too so a little part of me is worried about the mooring situation as I know moorings on the southern waters are more spaced out than on the northern rivers.

Passing Brundle, I eye up Brooms boatyard and spend my future lottery winnings on a few boats.

I must admit that this bit of the upper Yare has got to be the most beautiful of the broads.

Brammerton is fairly full, mostly with anglers but I've made my mind up it's Norwich yacht station or bust.

Well, the pubs changed a bit and it feels very classy but less welcoming to me in my dress down boating cloths.

I tip a nod to the sewer outflow as a mental note that I'm on the outskirts of life. Watch a rower glide through the black water of the outfall makes me wonder.

Now rowers are using me as a pace maker and it's rather fun and I’m a bit envious of their fitness.

Passing Freedom Boatyard, I hope to see them next year still open.

Now big changes. Old decaying boats have lessened and new waterside homes arise and I make a note to explore Commissioners Cut next year.

Finally we make Norwich Yacht Station for a flying visit.

We wont stay overnight after a very noisy night last time and other horror stories.

Re-stoked, re-watered and re-shopped, I decide to head back for some mad reason, to Chantley.

This turned into a race with sunset which I won with an hour to spare.

More to follow.

• Like 7

It sounds like bad service to me  wether it be an "elite" boat or a standard one shouldnt make any difference. 

Each and every boat hired out to a paying customer should be in full working order, no one should settle for anything less.

It could be said that the odd little fault here or there can be overlooked if its addressed quickly but a boat with the number of faults Cheesey has reported is just not on in my book.

All I can say is I hope you have reported it all to the operator and made them do something about it!

sloppy sloppy sloppy 

• Like 2

I dont wish to be critical as I don't know the boats capabilities but A why did you not report all these faults at the time rather than putting them into print and B why was you pushing it to 2000 revs, most experienced people would know that 1200 to 1600 covers all the normal cruising speeds, I have never exceeded 1800 even across Brayden, maybe what you are criticising is designed to protect the engine.

Fred

• Like 2

Running a diesel engine at low revs is actually quite bad for the engine.  

The manual for my Nanni Engine recommends 2200 - 2500 rpm cruising range.  I usually cruise at 2000 - 2200 unless im passing moored vessels or in a low speed limit area etc.  At those revs my boat creates slight wash and holds about 5mph. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Running a diesel engine at low revs is actually quite bad for the engine.  

The manual for my Nanni Engine recommends 2200 - 2500 rpm cruising range.  I usually cruise at 2000 - 2200 unless im passing moored vessels or in a low speed limit area etc.  At those revs my boat creates slight wash and holds about 5mph. 

Totally correct, diesel is good on boats because:

A. Few electrics Vs Petrol

B. Safety, no explosive fumes to collect in bilges

C. Good torque to turn a big thrust prop

D. Cheap to bunker.

But they need work, actually be hammered a bit if bores are not to glaze and they become smokey oil burners and poor starters.

• Like 1

Never mentioned boat yard as this is not a review. As these problems where minor irritants I felt it would hold up the holiday too much. Years ago we lost an inverter and replacing that cost us a day. Sorry about the spelling of place names as I am trying to pull them out of the air as I have no internet access when I write.

Well I did write them down on the comments page at the end of holiday. Also I'm not an engineer, I'm the customer. I call it quality control. It takes minutes to flip switches and check operation. We use a check sheet at our work for each vehicle that goes out. But once again, not my problem. I watched a team work over a craft I returned at the end of a holiday earlier this year and asked me if there was any problems. Seemed to work for them.

I chuckled at the part about the helpful people on the bank when you came into moor. We had something similar at Acle this year. Wind in one direction, tide in another. Space between two private boats. Said to hubby "If I get the bow in can you get onto the bank and pull us in?" to which he agreed this was a good plan especially as we had bow thrusters. The gents on the boats either side came out to help but advised me to go back out into the river, spin the boat round and come in again. Hmmm ... well I did it but only just - there was lots of traffic about and if I had gone too far out to come back round I was going to lose the space. It worked out in the end.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your tale. I do a lot of the helming when we're away ... except for the New Cut. However I do love taking a boat down the Chet. Did you really resist its charms? :)

• Like 2

I can see why some feel Cheesy should have got in touch with the yard to put things right - some of the issues could have been sorted easily.

However, maybe it is the fact I, like many  regular hirers have perhaps become conditioned of doing just that and not thinking too much about it when maybe we should expect these things to have been seen and checked prior to hand over?

I think it comes back to expectation. 

It is human nature if you go somewhere and pay little or get a good deal compared to what you could have paid elsewhere, and when something is not right many would say "Ahh we can't complain too much for what we paid".  But when you pay more, and choose what is advertised as a more premium product you do expect things to be better.

It really does then come down to the small things, the attention to detail that otherwise may be brushed aside if 'cheaper' stand out like a sore thumb for one may say "We paid all this money and look at it" type of reaction.

So my overall feeling is if a customer is left wanting and has decided to return to the Broads but with another operator to take such not harshly but constructively.  React, think, learn and improve.  Loose one but not two or three customers and through change, build new lasting relationships with loyal customers who return time and again.

If Richardson's had just built some new boats and carried on as they had been for years,  they would still be the same business so far as perception went but just have some new boats.

But they have turned around their entire business through focus on new boats, their design, their website and brochure to the the way they interact with their customers on Facebook and review websites, right down to the friendly welcome when you walk into reception.  Sure things will still go wrong, but you have the confidence that it won't be an issue to put right.  I just think a few places on the Broads from boatyards to pubs could do well to remember their future depends on happy customers more than ever in the world where so easily people can talk and share and reputations can be made or lost through social media.

• Like 5

Cheesy I'm with you all the way... it's your holiday at the end of the day and it should be right.. that's what you pay for.. it to be right..

There's no excuse oh we have had a busy season what do you expect attitude from the boat yard who ever they are..

If you know that boat is going to be out 85% of the season you make sure it's at 110% all the time... 

At the end of day your the customer and Your paying for it... and they should respect every customer who hires that boat and they should expect that customer to come back year after year... if not they go else where.. like we did ... 

Oh one last thing the boat we hired last year had dual controls ... one rev counter was 500rpm different to the other rev counter.. and at 2200 rpm it was doing 4mph.. so cheesy could of had dodgy rev counter...

Great blog so far Cheesy...:gracie:

• Like 4

I like the cut of your jib cheesey. Flows along just nice.

i wouldn't waste a day on waiting for something to get fixed that wasn't really bothering me also.

The look on some privateers when they see a hirer making a beeline for them can be amusing.  Sit doon and relax , you've got fenders!!!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

The look on some privateers when they see a hirer making a beeline for them can be amusing.  Sit doon and relax , you've got fenders!!!

Very easy to say,  unless you have to pick up the cost of repairs or find the time to repair the damage,  time that could be spent relaxing onboard.  

As a privateer,  I don't have the luxury of handing a boat back at the end of a holiday and walking away from damage. 

Fenders will reduce some slight scuffing but are no defence against a maniac helm,  hire or private. 

If you have worked bloody hard to be able to invest many thousands of pounds in your own pride and joy I think you might have the right to be concerned if a helm is heading your way,  I assume they may have limited experience afloat until they prove otherwise. 

Sadly you only have to sit and watch some boats continually ramming the quay head to realise some are idiots,  too late when you are sitting doon relaxing to realise you have one heading your way. 

Rant over. 

• Like 14

On Diamond we were told for our two weeks not to go anywhere near the engine.    Strange that because when we had our own boat hubby was in the engine bay every day.     The only time we were told the engine might need attention was if it started to overheat and then to check the weed filter.    As we are getting a bit doddery now the fact that hubby doesn't have to climb down into an engine bay is a plus.

We have been asked to do engine checks every day by some yards and not to go anywhere near it by others. One yard advised that hirers doing checks but not putting things back together properly causes more problems than leaving the weed filter alone.

If we had a problem that caused safety concerns or affected us too much we would call the yard, as we did in June when the bilge pump wasn't turning off. But if it's something else like the wi-fi not working or one of two electric toilets not filling back up properly between flushes, then we report that when we hand the boat back over.

9 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

Sit doon and relax , you've got fenders!!!

Not as easy as it sounds!

Some hire craft have that alloy 'mass' around the rubbing strakes on the bow and stern corners.

Most are badly scratched and in an awful state. One of those rubbing along your gel coat will make a real mess that can't easily be polished out and sometimes needs re-gelling. Not a cheap job by any means. It might protect the hire boat but not a private one.

• Like 3

And to add to this comment.

last winter it cost a hire company £4K to repair my boat. Luckily it was coming out for the winter anyway or they could have had another £700 to add to that for a lift and stack. If the guy hadn't reported it I think it may have been hard to prove with no witnesses. So would have been out of my pocket  

So yes I do get twitchy (hire or private) if they look like they are on s collision course. 

I do wonder if these people would be upset to find £4K worth of damage to their car when they drop the boat back to be told it's only a bump you have insurance don't you?

i got the look of hell from a private boat this summer when I had to quickly get a fender in place and 3 of us had to fend them off. He wouldnt have been so cocky if we had sat drinking our beer and I then gave him a £4K plus bill!

Yes I do have feeders (lots of them) I also like my boat.

rant over. 

• Like 5

I seem to have hit a nerve. It wasn't my intention.

But now we are on the subject, it seems somewhat counter productive to invest in a pastime which chills you out, then that particular pastime is actually causing you extra stress.

Its a bit like going to an air show and complaining about the noise.

Of course , this is no defence of sheer stupidly or wreck less behaviour.

neil 

• Like 4

Neil. The benefits far outweight the worries and stresses.  I'm not overly concerned as you say it's part of the course. But we still do hold our breath as it can be untold hassle if things go wrong. We tend to stay away from others and don't use the boat during the season.. certainly not the busy spots. We haven't spent lots of money and time painting the boat as I know it's going to get marks (Moreso by me!! - Which yes it has!).  We have all seen certain crews doing certain stupid things these people could easily sink a boat.. that's the worry really.

Saying this though part of the reason we have another boat away from the broads as it's so nice to cruise without that worry. But then there's other worries.. Hireboating is certainly the best way to enjoy boating!

Dad, I think someone else pointed out, people can do more damage to engines than it's worth and as there;s not that could really go wrong (on newer engines)  they tell people not to touch it.. Certainly on Orca's engine she never really daily attention... good little thumper.  Modern engines will probably have a remote reed filter too (not like the ones on yours) which will take more reed before clogging up.

• Like 8