Royalls

NorfolkNog

And there was me thinking that the hire boat yards were skint and struggling, at least that's what they fed the BA when it came to the tolls review. Obviously Barnes like throwing money away, or is there a longer game plan here? Wait until there is only three big hire yards left and then they can tell the BA what they are going to pay each year, rather than the other way round.

• Like 3

As far as the tolls are concerned, and the multiplier in particular, I though that the industry had come pretty close to telling the BA what they wished to pay as it was, with the rest of us picking up the tab! 

Are Barnes throwing money away? Matthew is a pretty sharp businessman, doesn't miss many tricks. He's just bought nine good boats, bought room to expand his hire fleet or to provide private moorings, blocked any competitors from opening up next door, I doubt that he sees this move in any way as a waste.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Amen to that, Keith. 

When I see the wheels parked outside some of the yard's offices then I know that their bosses are far from struggling! 

And have you seen some of the yachts they race in ?  Then there are their GPs  :naughty:

• Like 3

This is a little sad,  if understandable.  I recall when Royalls originally announced they were closing,  they set the date as end 2017 rather than end 2016 to allow their fiercely loyal following of repeat bookers the opportunity to book for 2017. I assume Barnes will honour Royalls 2017 bookings of which there'll be a large number.  This is great for Barnes because they've bought bookings as well as boats but how Royalls loyal customers will see it I'm not so sure. 

I called in to Royalls office last October.  I've always liked Nigel Royall's art work and I went in to buy a bag with one of his paintings printed on it.  I told him I was sad they were finishing (I hired from them once and they were brilliant). 

• Like 1

Here's the thing, I really don't begrudge anyone who runs their own business, who provides local employment for LOCAL people, the trappings of their success. It's when they start pleading poverty and expecting special help in whatever form it takes, whilst their business expansion and company accounts tell a different story that I totally loose respect. Companies House shows that none of the big hire yards are in trouble. Far from it.

• Like 3

"Director Daniel Thwaites said “buying Royalls means that we will have more room to increase our fleet and servicing facilities" 

Really?  Royalls yard is tiny,  there's barely enough room to squeeze in the 9 boats Barnes are acquiring.  Servicing facilities is just the small shed opposite I think. 

4 minutes ago, kfurbank said:

Here's the thing, I really don't begrudge anyone who runs their own business, who provides local employment for LOCAL people, the trappings of their success. It's when they start pleading poverty and expecting special help in whatever form it takes, whilst their business expansion and company accounts tell a different story that I totally loose respect. Companies House shows that none of the big hire yards are in trouble. Far from it.

Exactly !

• Like 2

Rather disappointed in this since we have/had two holidays booked with Royalls for this year and we were assured by Sara and Nigel that they weren't closing down until the end of the 2017 season, however, if they had a good offer for the yard and boats I am not surprised, that's business and they obviously wanted out and couldn't refuse the offer.  I just hope that Royalls staff (Paul & David?) have not been left 'in the lurch'.

However I think it has done us a favour because having spoken to Barnes we have changed our bookings to their new Encore with no admin fee payable for the change.  It is costing us more but we have never had a brand new boat before and to be honest Royalls boats were starting to look as if they needed attention when you got up close.  We would have considered Encore for this year anyway but it was not announced until well after we booked with Royalls.

I have heard a rumour that the Encores are being built by Silverline, conversely if you look at Broom's Bolero the pictures and layout on Barnes web site seem identical, so are Silverline building for Broom's or are Brooms building for Barnes?

• Like 1

The boats at Royalls have always been conservative in what they provided,  even when they built new ones - but that fitted very well with what their loyal customers expected just as such happened with Swan Craft. The difference is that when Richardson's bought some of the Swan Craft boats that's all they got - Barnes Brinkcraft get some older hire boats but above all and what is worth so much is an option - the land.

So you increase your fleet size, perhaps bring over some customers who for years have used Royalls, increase your service facilities a little and gain three holiday homes - but in the future they may wish to extend private moorings, build further properties, or simple sell on the land - that will surly only increase in value and is rare such areas can come up on the market so if you have the money in the bank, acquiring this makes very good long term financial sense.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:
1 hour ago, Poppy said:

Exactly !

Exceedingly Exactly!

I well remember being told that boats would no longer be antifouled, the claim being that it was for environmental reasons, the Authority was suitably impressed, as I'm sure were the accountants.

Now just a goldarned minute there, pardners! Let's keep this contest above the belt - or at least above the waterline.

There is no reason whatever to antifoul a GRP hire boat, and it is better off without it. When I was technical manager of Crown Blue Line I banned it, and that means on 500 hire boats. The waterline is painted in gloss paint, for ease of cleaning, and the bottom is left alone. Nothing to do with money and all to do with practicality.

In a few minutes we are all going to raise our glasses in memory of Iain, but tomorrow I shall have a few words to say in support of Barnes BC and any other Broads yards, who have managed to succeed over the years, against all odds, and upon whom we still largely depend for our cruising enjoyment.

Meantime I look north at the sky, and I say cheers, good friend!

• Like 7

500 boats, couple of hundred pounds of anti-fouling each & that is nothing to do with money? I reckon an interesting discussion is on the way!

So why do we bother anti-fouling private boats? 

I don't think that any of us were knocking yards that succeed. It was the pleading of poverty when blatantly there was none to plead. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Broads01 said:

"Director Daniel Thwaites said “buying Royalls means that we will have more room to increase our fleet and servicing facilities" 

Really?  Royalls yard is tiny,  there's barely enough room to squeeze in the 9 boats Barnes are acquiring.  Servicing facilities is just the small shed opposite I think. 

Royalls actually have (or had, and Barnes now have), one of the few covered slipways large enough to slip and work on a 60' Wherry (it's where Solace went for her annual fettling). The yard might be small, but it's about the only way Barnes were going to get any more room for expansion in Hoveton, therefore it's no surprise to me that they went for it when the opportunity arose.

• Like 6

Sad indeed to see the boatyard go. It seems my Royal Tudor has outlasted the boatyard at Hoveton, and I'm pleased she will be back on the water this year.

As Mike (Chameleon) and Doug will tell you Royal Tudor is a bit of genius design when it comes to space. She packs a hell of a lot into her 31ft...almost TARDIS like. Mike keeps telling me she seems to be a lot bigger than she really is, with plenty of room to accommodate my huge plates of meat in the cabins. A nifty arrangement with the doors means the two forward cabins can be so arranged that both cabins become 'on-suite' for the shower/toilet facilities.

So built in their Norwich yard, fitted out at Hoveton RT was the first boat out of their sheds. RT is to the right in this image of the Hoveton yard in the 60's

1053.jpg

I wish them all the best in their future eneavours.

• Like 3

Same old story the big firm buying the small one... promising to keep what they buy... it be out with the old in with the new.. and it's the poor customer who has been going to that yard for years who likes that style and fittings of boat they like to hire.. None of that come in consideration when companies decide to buy and sell.. what would of been nice would of been Barnes Brinkscraft to run it as a separate concern and keep 9 boats as like an elite fleet in the royalls name and colours.. But we all know that won't happen.. nice thought tho..

• Like 6