Advice Please: Mooring At Norwich Yacht Station

YnysMon

I'm having endless fun planning out places to visit when we next visit the Broads on Royale Emblem for a week from Saturday 29th April, taking into account tides, distance charts and so on.

We haven't been 'down south' before, and given its a bank holiday weekend I'm thinking that it would probably be best to get down to the Southern Boards asap, at least for the early part of the week.  Some members of our party are keen on church choirs, so we were thinking of going to an Evensong in Norwich Cathedral.  That doesn't finish until about 6.15 or 6.30pm, so the two following questions are going round my head:

a. What have the moorings at Norwich Yacht Station been like recently? I've heard some scare stories about people being cast adrift and so on, but don't know whether the situation has improved or has it got worse since there seems to be an entertainment area nearby.  Has anyone stayed there overnight within the last year or so? Also, how noisy is it?  I can see that it looks like it's right next to a busy road.

b. I was wondering if a better plan would be to leave Norwich after evensong and make our way to somewhere like Brammerton Common moorings (sunset being approx. 8.15pm that week), or might that be a bit dodgy if Brammerton moorings and other moorings nearby were full (and are they likely to be on bank holiday Monday or later that week)?  Also if we're not leaving Norwich until early evening, would we have to pay for an overnight mooring?  I'm not sure up to what time a daytime mooring fee covers.

thanks

Helen:Stinky

Hi Helen,

The pictures of the Norwich Yacht Station look idyllic, but after mooring there we found it to be very noisy during the early afternoon, the other issue is that the yacht station is not far from the club area of Norwich so again the noise factor at night.

We left and moored at Brammerton, you could moor at Commissioners Cut, it is only a short walk over the railway bridge and up the lane to the main road, if you turn left at the top of the lane the bus stop into Norwich is about 20 to 30 meters on the left.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Hi Helen,

That's a good question about what time is considered daytime mooring - I checked the BA's website but could only see the time by which you have to depart the next morning for an overnight stay. I haven't moored at Norwich myself but you're right in that it is next to a busy road. You're also right about needing to moor up before sunset and not knowing whether Bramerton might be full - it is such a popular location. You could consider reserving a mooring at the Ferry House pub at Surlingham, or mud-weighting in Surlingham Broad overnight, but that might be pushing it for cruising time from Norwich if you didn't depart until 6.30pm.

• Like 1

Helen,

It looks like Royale Emblem should be able to pass the bridges at Thorpe at all but high tide. I would consider mooring at Thorpe and either walking or taking the bus into Norwich. You then don't have to rush to move the boat and could spend longer in Norwich in the evening. Thorpe mooring is still near a busy road, but doesn't suffer with the clubbers and drunks late at night, like the yacht station.

• Like 3

I moor at NYS about 5/6 times a year, I have to have my fix of the city quite regularly as it is a super place to visit. We always make sure we are not there between Thursday and Sunday as the weekends are best avoided being the noisiest time. You are right about the road, it is noticeably noisy during the day and evening but I can honestly say it has never bothered me overnight. (Having said that, I am always pleased to get back to more 'rural' moorings.) There have been many scare stories over the years but you can moor up securely using loops for your ropes and a dropped mudweight and the gates are locked between 8pm and 8am, access being with the padlock code the BA ranger provides you with when you pay him. Currently the overnight fee is £12.

I think I am right in saying that daytime moooring ends at 5pm but during bank holiday week available moorings might be hard to find elsewhere later into the evening - but you never know!

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback so far...reinforces my doubts about the wisdom of mooring overnight at Norwich - there are some really good suggestions too.  I like the thought of Thorpe but will check the tides and clearance.  I emailed Ferry Marina to check the air-draft of Royale Emblem and was advised that its 6'10", so I'd sort of ruled out Thorpe on that basis.  The Commissioners Cut and a bus sounds a good option, I've been studying maps and am not sure where that is exactly though.

Another option that occurred to me was a train from Reedham to Norwich on the Sunday.  Slack water at Yarmouth is about 8.30am (an early start from Stokesby perhaps) so I was thinking that it might be possible to make it to Reedham in time for the train just after 10.30...perhaps not?  Evensong on a Sunday is much earlier, which would be a plus.  On the other hand my original plan had been to make for Rockland St Mary and then go on to Norwich.  I really fancy visiting Rockland.  I guess we could play it by ear, get the Reedham train if we get there in time or go on to Rockland if we don't. 

Another option would be a train from Acle.  Not sure whether that would mean mooring at Acle more than 24hrs though, which probably isn't allowed.

Just so many options...

I've been writing up various cruising plans - up to 10 so far.  It's all part of the fun!  Yes, I did say I was obsessed!cheersbar

Helen

• Like 3

Hi Helen

I agree totally with what Vanessan says. We moor in the yacht station at least once a year and last year we stayed two nights but not Fri,Sat or Sunday. Pity you can't stay in the week because the walk into Norwich over Bishop's Bridge then through the cathederal grounds is really pleasant.You could however moor at Commissioners Cut,walk up the track and catch the bus for the short ride  into the city,not having to worry about the Thorpe bridges.Either way the cathederal is well worth a visit

Boycee:party2:

• Like 5

I like chugging in to Norwich for a daytime stop but I've always avoided it overnight for the noise reasons already covered.  You should be OK at Thorpe when the water's low enough but any stop there has to have planning otherwise you'll find the water's too high when you want to leave.  I like the Commissioners cut and you're unlikely to have problems getting a space (unlike Bramerton)  so in your position I'd cruise in to Norwich and then head for Commissioners for the night.  Alternatively the mooring at Whitlingham is nice,  albeit without facilities. I've never been one to use a bus or train whilst I'm boating -  I love travelling by boat far too much for that! 

I do fancy travelling all the way up to Norwich myself (I thought that Robin waxed really poetic on one of his videos about the industrial remains vs new development), but I'm not sure whether my fellow passengers (newbies to the Broads) will like long cruising days...will just have to see how they feel.  Like Simon I feel that time off the water is rather wasted, though I'm looking forward to visiting Norwich.  The Commissioners Cut or Brooms sounds like a good option.  Where is the Commissioners Cut exactly?

Helen

• Like 1

Don't do club nights as others have said. I have a problem with NYS that has not been mentioned. The moorings are lower than a very busy road,  your head is just about at exhaust pipe height, Living right on the coast with wonderful air born out by the lichen on my trees I really suffer if I go there. My throat and chest really get to me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the details of the Commissioners Cut location Howard. 

I'm starting to think that a good option might be to look for a mooring in the Commissioners Cut and then get a bus into Norwich from there, and if it's full just continue into Norwich. 

Ay well...all options remain open.  One of the delights of a Broads boating holiday is the freedom involved to change your mind about where to go...and change it again.  At least by thinking it through beforehand we should be able to make sensible decisions regarding tides and so on.

Helen

• Like 2

Hi Helen

Just a point to mention -:there is a rough track from the cut which goes over the railway and on to the main road. It's not lit and I would take great care at night, good torch needed. Also buses stop running through Thorpe at around 7pm. I think if you avoid Friday and Saturday nights you shouldn't have a problem at Norwich. As others have said mooring at Brundall is a good option - good train service and they run quite late too. 

Enjoy! 

• Like 1

Aslong as you bring your ropes through the eyes on the posts and back to the boat (preferably to a river sided cleat) and put your mudweight down just incase you are paid a nocturnal visit by a Norwich numpty then you should be ok.  I would also not leave any valuables on display just so as not to invite any unwanted attention! Just good common sense precautions we all take in our every day lives. 

Boats being untied in Norwich is thankfully a rare occurance, the last time we stayed overnight (last summer) it was a Thursday and we had no issues at all.  Yes its noisier with passers by and vehicles etc but its a city, its part of its charm.  The park on the opposite bank to the yacht station is lovely to walk through but beware they get locked at 8pm! Visit Cow Tower,  As has been said the walk up to Tombland via the Cathedral grounds is pleasant also. 

Avoid mooring near to the Foundry Bridge or the bus stop, further up toward Bishopsbridge is better. 

I didnt think I would sleep well at all in Norwich but the ambient light from the street lighting gives you a good impression of anyone moving nearby because of the shadows! Infact i slept like a baby and woke up in exactly the same place the next morning! 

• Like 3

The authorities in Norwich, the Police, the BA, Norwich City Council, whoever, must surely have a duty to insure that visitors to the city, irrespective of how they have arrived , or where they are staying, are afforded care and protection. 

And have confidence in that protection.

Norwich Yacht Station is no exception, and yet I feel that it has been neglected and that some feel insecure.

• Like 1

Mooring is fine at Norwich.We Have done so many times.I would advise not to go over the weekend.We tend to visit on a Thursday.It can be a bit noisy .Best to use at least three ropes and mud weight.Norwich is well worth a visit, because we are based at Brundall we often go.

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice.  Lots for me to consider.  I won't rule out staying overnight in Norwich, but will observe the advice to avoid the weekend (probably best to avoid Bank Holiday Monday too methinks).  Will bank all the advice and consult with my fellow sailors that week.

Helen

Love the small of the mint sauce. First time we went up to Norwich was in 1985 and they were making it then. Lovely smell. We like to moor at the NYS but try to avoid Friday and Saturday nights. Only one had the rope untied and that was back in 85. We had tied up with three rope and put the mud weight down so we're ok. We woke up to shouts as one boat was floating away midstream and took some waking up. Since the the security is a lot better and have never seen a repeat.

We have also stayed at Commisioners cut and Thorpe. And caught the bus. One year when we stayed on the northern rivers we caught the train from Wroxham.