Has The Nbn Got A Future? A resounding "Yes"!

SEAMASTER

I've never used Facebook nor been tempted to do so. This is the only forum I use. I did for a short time, before I discovered this one, use another Norfolk forum but found it  too aggressive and just plain nasty at times, so not for me. I think  if users of this one seem to take for granted that things work smoothly that's because mostly they do. The fact that lots of us don't stop to consider how it all happens is  probably because there's rarely a glitch  and that is in itself an accolade.  Without doubt Jonzo  and his team have done and are continuing to do a superb job and I hope that they truly know how very appreciated they are. . Reading back over old threads, it's plain to see that people have  found friendship, support and assistance just to mention a few great things on this forum,, all things that cannot be understated in their value.

.I get very fed up during the winter, but being on the forum reading all the interesting matters that pop up on a daily basis and sometimes being  able to contribute in a small way have helped me enormously so thanks everybody.

Carole

• Like 13

I for one enjoy this forum immensely. Great topics and discussion and you can get your point across even if it does ruffles some feathers at times. I only wanted to ask the question if the key king pins of this forum who work very hard to keep this going decided to leave to where we us members would be. But as I can see and read that this forum is here to stay is what is great. Yes Iam a member of 2 Facebook groups one is Nbb Norfolk broad boaters and Love the Norfolk broads. And I expect others on here are members to. But i use the nbn as my main broads site. It's the best. It is as simple as that.

• Like 4

I'm a member of a few fora - even Speakers Corner and a couple of the Facebook groups. The way I see it is Facebook is similar to meeting someone on the High Street " Hi mate all right?" "Yeah busy busy- you?" "Oh yeah - see you around". This forum is more a half dozen friends sitting around a pub table with pints of mild on top and dogs underneath putting the world to rights and gently taking the Mickey out of each other until long after closing. Vive la difference, I say!

• Like 9

I agree that this thread can perhaps be safely put to bed now, after a satisfactory result.

Well shut up then Vaughan!  :naughty:

I just wanted to talk about someone else, who needs our recognition. It is not just the tech team, or the mods, who make this forum as interesting as it is. There are those (and I don't include myself) who take the trouble to look at the news of local events and post threads on the forum, for us to talk about and by far the most prolific of these is Jenny Morgan. Almost every day there is something posted by him. Sometimes funny, sometimes frivolous, sometimes very serious, sometimes even biased (!) but always taking a great effort to initiate and animate our discussions.

I suggest the forum would not be the same without him, either. Thank you, Peter!

• Like 12

As someone who has very little else to do but read the forum, I would say that there are quite a few members who post on a very regular basis. THAT IS WHY WE HAVE SO MUCH TO TALK ABOUT AND MOAN ABOUT AND GIVE SH1T ABOUT and not to forget the most important - TO HAVE A BLOODY GOOD LAUGH. This is what I believe makes this forum a SPECIAL place.

• Like 9

I tend to have a tab open for the forum from 6am ish when I power the machine up until I kill it for the night at about 9 or 10pm. A little box comes up in the corner of screen saying a new reply or posting etc. So I don't miss much.

This forum is more like a club mind that's been mentioned before, its a club that I feel proud to be a member of. As no one looks down on any one for any reason, and we can be serious, silly or any thing in between no one judges.

Long may it remain so.

Charlie cheers

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

I tend to have a tab open for the forum from 6am ish when I power the machine up until I kill it for the night at about 9 or 10pm. A little box comes up in the corner of screen saying a new reply or posting etc. So I don't miss much.

you power down your computer?, mine are usually logged on - sometimes several at the same time, the only time I get logged off the forum is generally during a power cut.

Just now, grendel said:

you power down your computer?, mine are usually logged on - sometimes several at the same time, the only time I get logged off the forum is generally during a power cut.

When I say kill it, that's a tad of an over statement, the monitor, printers etc all get powered down. But the pc stays on but all windows in browser are closed down mind.

Charlie

27 minutes ago, addicted said:

Wish I spoke Chinese like you and Charlie then I may have a clue what you are talking about:852_question:

Carole

I think they are trying to tell us that they can't bear to be separated from their computers and the forum! Very simply I'm almost always logged in too so I don't have to faff about when I want to check in. How sad is that?!!

• Like 1

I am just catching up with things here - and pleased to see this topic has generated so much conversation among people here. 

Recently when working on Broad Ambition I had very very limited connectivity in Horning having not taken any of my usual kit with me, so I had a choice to have updates here each day or update one of the Facebook Groups.

I choose to update the NBB Group with videos, knowing that this would get many peoples eyes on the project and with the final update slip in a mention of the Forum and the web address in the video so people on the Facebook Group who may not otherwise know of this Forum can join up and discover more.  You see you have to tread carefully or else the post may be subject to moderation if they feel too much limelight is being shed on another site/service.

Facebook is used by millions of people in this country, being free and easy to use so it makes working 'against' it an uphill struggle.  So many of the people who are members of the Groups dedicated to the Norfolk Broads on Facebook will be adding content to them so on their mobile phone, just as I was.   No sign in is needed, it is instant too - take picture, add comment, post and then await 20+ comments in a few minutes thus feeling happy with the contribution and immediate praise you've received - I can't think of a finer way to socially engineer people than how Facebook has evolved.

What this Forum provides however is depth and unlike Facebook, is non-linear so we can have 10 discussions going on at once, easy to find and add to and the ability to say more about those subjects.  With Facebook such could also be discussed but it would be lost down the groups timeline which is why I use the term 'Topic Bombs' when referring to Facebook Groups.

You post to the Facebook Group an update about a pub you have just visited and the food you had there at 1:00pm. In moments your post is being seen by hundreds of people, the 'likes' start building up then the comments stream in as people familiar with the Pub will add their own posts about the food, how they like it, then others will ask where the pub is and some might also say how they had a bad experience.  By 3:00pm the topic has been long since superseded by new posts and is now no longer getting many views/likes or comments for it is now far down the Groups page.  Furthermore these Groups cost nothing at all to run, and just need a few helpful people to moderate the comments.

This Forum can and does offer so much more, there is far more sense of community and our meets are so far as I am concerned better attended and run.  We are the place you come to for the inside knowledge, local opinion and news.  Often it is here one will learn of things afoot on the Broads before such has been picked up by the 'Facebook Crowd' not to mention the fact this Forum to many is a real asset to their boating knowing they can ask a question and have trusted replies from other experienced boaters be it about tidal information or 'how to' advice on projects.  May this long continue!

• Like 12