New - First Family Holiday

christie

hi,

we are a family of 5 (mam, dad, 9 year old girl, 6 year old boy and 3 year old girl)

we have a week booked at the end of august leaving from stalham (booked with richardsons on elite gem)

hope we can get some tips travelling with kids (and just any general advise) as this is new to us.

We have a 5 hour drive to get to the broads so I think we may stay in Norfolk the night before.

thanks in advance

christie (mum to 3!)

• Like 2

:welcome: Christine from me and the wench (some cal her Inge) .... Its a great holiday for the kids ours always loved it. Mind still do love getting onn the boat there now 41 and 39.... the grandkids are more often than not hitching a ride with us these days lol

Relax and Enjoy

Charlie

Hi, Christie! Welcome from me, though I haven't been on here all that long myself, I am finding the helpful advice most useful.

We have never hired a boat, as we bought an old cruiser so that we can float off whenever we please! Always wear a life jacket and of course, your children too! We have four small dogs and insist they always wear one, when on the boat. I've lost count of the number of times my husband has almost slipped into the river, while getting onto and off our boat! It looks really funny at the time and has been the cause of many chuckles, but wouldn't be so funny if he actually did fall in, as swimming fully clothed in very cold water would not be easy! I'm fairly sure a hire company would supply life jackets? 

Have fun and enjoy your holiday!

Oi Hi Christine, welcome aboard! I was about the same age as your middle one when I decided that I was going to have a boat of my own one day. Having taken kids of my own boating I found 'bits of grass' where they could run around and tire themselves out to be of high value. On the northern side you will find these at Womack Water, Potter Heigham (upstream of the bridge), Salhouse and Ranworth. 

I'm envious of you! All that time to play 'pirates' between now and your holiday. My mum started a game with us months before my brother and I ever reached the boat. We were really ready for adventure by the time we arrived. 

Don't forget fellow forum members will be out and about too and easily identifiable by the forum flag and printable logo for the boat. I know more than a few of them are as daft as I am... Willing to play 'pirates'. 

Hello Christie,

Welcome to the NBN forum to you and your family.

If you have not looked at the Richardson's video's on line I suggest you do so, we have links to them on the forum. 

If there is something you do not understand or worried about please ask the forum for advice.

Regards

Alan

Hi Christie,

welcome to the forum, I am sure you will have a great time afloat, it is a very addictive past-time.

If you are considering staying overnight in norfolk, the Travel lodge in Acle is as  good a place as any to start and close to yarmouth and of course the river with plenty of good places to eat.

Whatever you do, have a great holiday.

cheers

Trev

Hi Christie, welcome from me too. The only bit of advice i can give is not to plan anything, and just take it slow. If you`ve never been boating before, take it very easy, and stay on the northern rivers. Trying to get across Breydon water can take some planning re the tides,(and possible bridge clearance), so for a first time, relax, and get used to the boat on the easier northern rivers. As for things to do, with young children, you`ll have to ask others, as Karen and i don`t have any, so have never had to think about keeping them happy.

Hi Christie, welcome   we have 2 children boy and girl 11 and 10yrs old.

we have a 6hr drive down to Norfolk so we travel down day before get boat and stop in Gt Yarmouth and spend the  late afternoon/ evening wandering around the town doing the arcades etc with the kids just so they unwind after a long car trip. Next morning before going for boat we have a leisurely breakfast and a asda shop for all provisions needed for the week .

Once on boat kids love to drive (supervised)  and love going to salhouse broad to play on the shore , Womack island is a favourite of theirs as they can just explore the island and mess around.  Coltishall is good as large grass area right by the moorings for kids to run around as well. 

Generally we find a couple hours cruise max followed by a bit of shore time and kids love it as all one big adventure. we also hire either a rowing or  sailing dinghy and I teach kids to row or sail of an evening .

As has been previously said  if it your first time stick to the northern rivers and don't bother going to Yarmouth and across Breydon water  save that for next time once have more experience as the tides on the southern need a bit of planning.

enjoy your hols :Stinky:party:

We've used the new Premier Inn at Great Yarmouth at the river side in the center also near the front, Asda & Tesco next to it.

And the kids eat breakfast for free fill em up for the day.

cameras in the covered parking if you can get in.

Welcome along Christie! :wave 

I'm sure you will all have a great time. If you have a read of some of the holiday tales then I'm sure you will get lots of ideas. My first Broads holiday was back in the 90s with our children and they particularly enjoyed the simple pleasure of feeding the ducks.

As for an overnight stay I've used Premier Inns in many different places and always found them to be good value for one or two nights. There's one in Norwich by the river which is very nice if you fancy stopping off in the city before you start your holiday.

I never really understand why a number of people tell newbies not to travel down south on their first week (no wonder the south is losing yards!).

there really is nothing to fear if you do your homework or read the handbook onboard. In August there could be 100 boats making that journey on any one day!

• Like 3

Matt, I suppose really that a newbie on a boat has an awful lot to learn what with controlling the craft mooring up and the general basics of boating.

It cannot be denied that the northern waters are easier than the southern for the complete novice, and that's the crux of it. Surely it must be better for the tourist trade to encourage the boating equivalent of skiing 'nursery slopes' for these novices and tempt them to make a return booking to enjoy the delights of the southern waters.

Water wherever it is needs to be treated with respect, but be honest, the southern rivers do need an even healthier level of that respect.

The above is of course just my opinion, but I should explain to Christie that my opinion is always the right one. :) 

• Like 2

Just to add a bit of flesh to previous suggestions, Ranworth has a visitor centre (free) but not open Mondays I think, and a chance to climb up the  church spire and see for miles, If you can get through Potter Heigham bridge (check with pilot nearer the time) there is a walk from Horsey  to the beach with the chance of seeing the seals. Coming down the Ant from Stalham you will see How Hill a large area of grass where the children can run etc.If you plan to self cater meals you are more free, if you want to eat out at pubs etc.you may need to moor earlier in the day as it can get a bit busy. If you can be flexible you will be able to relax more. Take a few things for the children to play with on the boat and wellington boots in the very unlikely event that the weather doesn't stay dry, Don't rush because you will be back., Enjoy!

• Like 1