Old Broads Boats

webntweb

12 minutes ago, webntweb said:

Some pics on Admiral 7 in 1982. We were on a boating holiday but I think mum was on a knitting marathon.

771a Mum.jpg

787a Mum Darrell Chris.jpg

856a Mum Chris Julie Ranworth Staithe.jpg

869a Mum Bramerton.jpg

882a Mum Rockland.jpg

Looks like you all had new jumpers by the end of the holiday!

• Haha 1

Thanks for sharing Roy. I couldn't initially work out the location of the 3rd photo but is it Ranworth? I think I was thrown by the Blakes sign in the background that made me think there was a boat yard near by but didn't Blakes have an association with Ranworth at that time?

The boat next to you I believe is from the Consul class at Norfolk Broads Yachting Company. My first ever Broads holiday was on Consul 3 the year before.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

didn't Blakes have an association with Ranworth at that time?

Blakes owned the lease on the Maltsters' Quay and the whole of Malthouse Broad, ever since the end of the 40s. That is why it was never closed off to navigation, as the landowner had done to Ranworth Inner Broad. So we have them to thank for that. They also leased and ran Yarmouth Yacht Station, for many years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And the BBC SOS messages, given out in almost Military style. SOS and the name repeated twice, the area the person is in, make and model of car with reg if applicable.

I an unable to remember if it was just before or after the news.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Thanks for sharing Roy. I couldn't initially work out the location of the 3rd photo but is it Ranworth? I think I was thrown by the Blakes sign in the background that made me think there was a boat yard near by but didn't Blakes have an association with Ranworth at that time?

The boat next to you I believe is from the Consul class at Norfolk Broads Yachting Company. My first ever Broads holiday was on Consul 3 the year before.

Yes Ranworth. I thought it was a NBYC boat by the colour.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jbx5 said:

Is Admiral 7 still still on the rivers ?

John

She was on the Thames last I heard.

If you Google her you should find a website where the present owner asks if anybody has info about her history,

I believe she appeared briefly in a Bond film where Bond whizzed past her in a speedboat.

Being a Buckinghamshire Chilterns and Thames Valley man! I have to profess that as far as wooden motor cruisers are concerned my heart belongs to Bates Starcraft. 

In the 60s you would see them plying the Thames with the good, the famous and indeed the not so good. They were very popular with pop stars and stars of the silver screen. Beautiful boats.

20200330_140435.thumb.jpg.c2acbfcb0ce2f82ccb41813992996ece.jpg

20200330_135726.jpg.9132fef3a415b2a19b6b5b0f1d96c3da.jpg

20200330_135649.thumb.jpg.1821812dc45aaea7bfa40520fdb7512b.jpg

• Like 6