One Less Pub.

JennyMorgan

The Waveney at Oulton Broad closed tonight, apparently no longer able to continuing trading. It was suggested to me by a customer that folk that went in there to eat were annoyed by drinkers enjoying themselves, an interesting theory. £2.00 a pint this evening! My wife and I only found this out when we went in for a meal, which they weren't doing so we went over to the Smoke House only to find that they stopped doing meals at 6.00 0'clock, amazing, the village was teeming with people it being Oulton Week! So back to the Wherry which was absolutely heaving despite which the food was, as always, excellent! Anyway, very sad to see that the Waveney is closing, I really thought that they had turned the place around.

• Confused 1

I'm gutted to read this, remember many a time when I was knee high to a grass hopper going in there with my parents

i was in Oulton last week for two days, and it was the old 'I really must go in there again' wish I did now 

Sad but maybe not a surprise - last October myself and 17 or so others turned up to drink, there was maybe 3 others in the bar area and the issue was the fact we had a dog with us.  One of the locals asked with the person behind the bar if since it was a quiet night we could come in as the dog was well behaved, no absolutely no chance. We took our trade elsewhere. If this sort of thing was repeated or others left unsatisfied they don't come back or might spread the word to to others and so it goes on until it cannot be sustained as a business.

• Like 3

is this the same Macie dog that this weekend (when griff wasnt visible), was sitting behind each boat in turn, begging for food? admittedly she was cute, the way everyone had spotted the left paw, right paw, speak before a treat, - a feat she was happy to show everyone if it resulted in the treat.

3 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Sad but maybe not a surprise - last October myself and 17 or so others turned up to drink, there was maybe 3 others in the bar area and the issue was the fact we had a dog with us.  One of the locals asked with the person behind the bar if since it was a quiet night we could come in as the dog was well behaved, no absolutely no chance. We took our trade elsewhere. If this sort of thing was repeated or others left unsatisfied they don't come back or might spread the word to to others and so it goes on until it cannot be sustained as a business.

Bang on the money Robin, if pubs on the broads are not going to allow dogs they have no future, this proves the point perfectly.

If it were I then it would be a case by case situation - you might have 10 customers with dogs and not a jot of bother and then one customer whose dog will not stop barking or perhaps they won't keep it otherwise under control. Then you could as Landlord be well within your rights to ask that they take care of their dog as it has been causing other customers issue, or use the pub garden/outside space.

I don't like a total ban.  Even in Beccles places like Whetherspoon ban all but 'assistance dogs' and you only have to see how many boating folk have dogs to see banning them regardless can seriously affect your trade. It would be like trying to run a pub that only sold drink and not food - once viable now no more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

It would be like trying to run a pub that only sold drink and not food - once viable now no more.

I've heard that old chestnut before. Wrong I'm afraid Robin. I know (and use) several pubs that don't do food. It can work if you do it properly. There are quite a few "no dogs allowed" pubs on the broads that seem to survive. The New Inn Horning and The Swan Horning are two that immediately spring to mind.

Hauled up outside the Greyhound with rescue Collie on a rather chilly evening. Stayed outside as said lovely pet tends to get a bit excited in company. Landlord insisted we bring him in, so I excused ourselves by saying we weren't sure that would be allowed. Landlord said "The clue's in the name".

Doug

I agree many pubs are a success regardless allowing dogs,some say that pubs suffer by allowing  smoking.And yes some pubs succeed that don't do food.I can only say when Marina and I went there at Easter the food was good.Last year we went two or three times the pub was packed.Something went wrong,unsure  what.I just hope someone  can  make a go of it.

Very sad to see any pub closing. It annoys me when pubs don't allow dogs but I suspect it goes much deeper than this.

I seem to remember the Waveney being a popular pub. We always went in the lounge but the bar always seemed very lively. The beer prices back in the day were some of the most reasonable on the Broads. However when I last went in, during February, they were advertising Doombar at 3.60 a pint. Now I wouldn't drink Doombar if it was free, but 3.60 is a bit on the high side even for the Broads.

The Commodore seems popular especially with the younger set and the Wherry will always do well because of its location and facilities. On the other hand the Lady of the Lake never seems to have many in when I've been there. The locals might be going to the Flying Dutchman, I don't know. Perhaps the Waveney was getting a bit tired and not really having the appeal that modern drinkers seem to look for.

But its a shame, one less pub and less choice.

DSC_1277.JPG

• Like 1

I am quite sure that many people avoid a pub that allows dogs, just as others seek out such pubs. Regretfully not all dogs are as well trained as Macie.

Oulton Broad used to have a wonderful choice of eateries and watering holes, suddenly the bubbles appears to be bursting.

Sunday we started up at the Red Herring, place was devoid of customers,  the menu was akin to a pretentious Michelin guide. Nearby restaurants were all heaving so we weren't alone in not fancying a meal there.

Next the Copper Smoke House, closed at six o'clock!

The Boulevard, a good clean up wouldn't go amiss.

There is a cafe in the Everitt Park, acceptable, not really a restaurant environment but we have had good meals there in the past. 

We settled on the Wherry, good to excellent food, reasonable prices but fine dining it is not!

Wolf Inn, haven't tried it yet.

Commodore, excellent and stylish but not very comfortable, our first choice when we have friends though. 

The Lady of the Lake, neither of us like it so we didn't bother. The cook used to be at the Waveney when its hygiene rating was at the wrong end of the scale but I do know locals that rate it highly & prefer it to the Wherry.

Tonight we went to the Magic Wok Chinese takeaway. I don't suppose either my wife nor I eat more than 25% of our meals, truly awful. Just a mess of stodgy rice a few bits of meat ladled into a cardboard box.

Tomorrow I think that I'll do the cooking!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

However when I last went in, during February, they were advertising Doombar at 3.60 a pint. Now I wouldn't drink Doombar if it was free, but 3.60 is a bit on the high side even for the Broads.

You think? How about Adnam's Broadside at £4.05 then? Shan't name the establishment as many on here and elsewhere think the sun shines from every window and orifice of the place, but I won't be bothering with it again!

• Like 3

Good grief, that is expensive. I don't normally drink Broadside so haven't really noticed but that seems a lot. We were in Huddersfield at the weekend and paying around 2.80 for some superb beers. I don't object to paying more for the Broads experience but I suppose you have to draw the line somewhere.

I can't remember the exact prices in the Waveney a few years back but I distinctly remember thinking it was below average. :default_beerchug:

Ray, I was in that pub for two days (for reasons that would give away it's identity) and started a tab. I hadn't asked how much a pint of Ghost ship was, but drank away quite happily. When I went to pay my tab it was over £80.

Yes the Ghost ship was £4.05 a pint too. I admit the bill did include a pint of Guinness, a pint of Wherry and a fisherman's pie but over £80 was a bit rough!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ray, I was in that pub for two days (for reasons that would give away it's identity) and started a tab. I hadn't asked how much a pint of Ghost ship was, but drank away quite happily. When I went to pay my tab it was over £80.

Yes the Ghost ship was £4.05 a pint too. I admit the bill did include a pint of Guinness, a pint of Wherry and a fisherman's pie but over £80 was a bit rough!!!

Twenty pints in two days, no wonder that you were a bit rough! Isn't four quid a pint about normal then?

37 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I admit the bill did include a pint of Guinness, a pint of Wherry and a fisherman's pie but over £80 was a bit rough!!!

Good to hear you're having a well balanced diet MM. Respect that man!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3