Some Good News For The Norfolk Broads

Boaters

I've completed six, ice cream in Brighton, candy floss on Blackpool beach, open top bus ride in London, rode a donkey in Yarmouth, not a pasty but fish and chips in St Ives (hope that counts) and visited the Roman Baths. Not very adventurous but would pass them all over for just one day on the Broads and only 13th, what planet are the people they surveyed on??? :facepalm:

Ray, I agree about bad and good news comment, bad news always travels faster and is so much more interesting :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 1

Mr Banner, May I formally object to the above over wordy over long and somewhat tortologious post. The whole thing could have been said as "this is an Archant article"

As such it is therefore not worthy of 'consideration'  and it's inaccuracy is assured.

Yours, Angry of Basingstoke.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dear Mr Banner and Mr Mynah

I notice the aforementioned survey was conducted by an apartment servicing company who surveyed 1500 people who had rented apartments in cities, mostly London. Having rented an apartment, in London, I have found in the hours I have spent in the apartment waiting for servicing that I too have been thinking of a short session on The Norfolk Broads.

Yours Evadne Plinge
Nether Wallop, Stockbridge

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My dearest Evadne,

Mr Mynah? That's a bit formal isn't it?   I remember those halcyon days when we rented adjoining apartments in the Old Kent Road. I still find myself trembling with excitement when ever I see someone using a Pogo stick, memories like that can never die.

I see by your address that you've moved from the convent in the Elephant & Castle, have you left Holy Orders then? Is there still a chance for me? I swear I will never ask you to do "that" ever again, in fact I haven't touched a trombone since.

I wait in excited anticipation for your reply.

Your little Momo.

Please reply to M.Mynah. , MV Excited Anticipation, Dock Road, Basingstoke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My dearest, sweet Momo,

Be still my beating heart. Given up the Trombone? Say it isn't so! Your Glen Miller was legendary, the best String of Pearls ever. I have the fondest memories of our last day together at the Tooting Flugel Festival. I'm sorry I left so abruptly I was afraid MarMar had lured you to join his hardcore Oompah Band. He was always so dashing in his spangled lederhosen! 

I have indeed left the convent. Following an accident with a random knot hole in the vestry, I was catapulted into the Thames. I had become a fallen woman. I packed my hair shirts and bicycle clips and removed to Nether Wallop where I became a professional demonstrator. It was ever so that we northerners organise a superior rumpus. Having no teeth means I  have less to lose!

In those quiet moments of the day, passing a random chip shop I often think of you. Your hair so long and black and with matching fingernails. Blowing your horn and paddling your canoe!

I look forward to your next missive!
Yours
Evadne 
Miss Evadne Plinge
c/o The Duchess of Cornwall's Home for Dilapidated Dowagers
Nether Wallop

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Oi, you lot! Leave off the trombone! (Loved the unhinged humour as usual...keeps me going.)

From a former trombone player (okay, not a very good one).  Gave up playing in a training band when Mam's health started to decline. 

On a more positive note, I've been thinking of rejoining the band, maybe playing a different instrument? Perhaps the cornet?  Still have my Taid's (Grandad's) cornet. My Mam told me my Nain (Gran) bought it as a present for their wedding in 1926. It's a Hawkes instrument, sold shortly before the Boosey and Hawkes merger. 

My son Harry playes repiano cornet with the Woburn Sands 'B' Band. He did play with their 'A' band for a while, but his job at IKEA means he can't be relied upon for concerts. At least he's carrying on playing. No. 2 son Alec used to play Trombone but gave up given the unreasonable hours he is asked to work for Frosts Landscape Construction (they're the ones supporting Alan Tichmarsh's 'Love your Garden' show...title something like that). He is expected to clock in at 05:30 but generally doesn't get home until between 18:30 and 20:30.

Helen

• Like 2

What what what what what? A fellow trombone player? I played tenor trombone with the school wind band and a short while with the Hatfield Colliery Band. I got grade 8, but by that time I was heavily into my keyboards. Sold the trombone for a deposit on a Lowry Holiday organ. 

Although this guy makes it sound like a bag of nails, I much preferred the Lowry to the Hammond. My trombone teacher told me I was wasting my money and talent on something like the organ...until he found out a month later I was clearing 480 quid a week playing in the pubs and clubs. I kept the Lowry into the 1990's even when I'd swapped over to Technics. 

When I jacked in playing for dances and traditional pub spots to gig with a band I swapped it for a 1960's Vox Continental (Animals House of the Rising Sun) and bought two Yamaha keyboards.

Sadly I've not played keyboards for years. I occasionally pick up the guitar, banjo, concertina or mandolin and jam with the eldest lad Mikey. Mikey also plays guitar, mandolin, bouzouki, piano. Ellie keeps threatening us to play more often. She has booked us to play a charity 'do' this Christmas. The problem being...it normally takes Mikey and I several pints to get into the swing of things!

• Like 1

I achieved just 3 on the list,

The beaches of the Hebridies, well I lived there,

Walking Exmoor, I was practicing for Ten Tors

And um.... something about the Broads.

I did live near Weston Super Mud, But successfully avoided the slot machines.

And Finally I have been across Clifton suspension bridge, while not walking or in a motor vehicle.....I was in a pram (a very long time ago..)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

My dearest Evadne,

Mr Mynah? That's a bit formal isn't it?   I remember those halcyon days when we rented adjoining apartments in the Old Kent Road. I still find myself trembling with excitement when ever I see someone using a Pogo stick, memories like that can never die.

I see by your address that you've moved from the convent in the Elephant & Castle, have you left Holy Orders then? Is there still a chance for me? I swear I will never ask you to do "that" ever again, in fact I haven't touched a trombone since.

I wait in excited anticipation for your reply.

Your little Momo.

Please reply to M.Mynah. , MV Excited Anticipation, Dock Road, Basingstoke.

Will you quit with your safff london memories? (what happened to that clock with the top hat that raised and lowered? Have you seen what they've done with the Thomas A Becket? )

1 hour ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Have you seen what they've done with the Thomas A Becket?

Yes, it lost it's license for trying to imitate a Canterbury Bishop. They nearly got away with it too. What gave them away was that Thomas Beckets middle name was Horace and thus didn't start with an "A".

To whom it may concern, I have never successfully played the Trombone, though I was once advised by my music teacher to try blowing into the other end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2