Drunks

JennyMorgan

There should be a charge where any public service is used as a result of intoxication. Not just RNLI and Coastguard but the curse that causes so many problems for Police, Ambulance and A&E in our towns and cities up and down the country. And that charge should be proportional to a persons ability to pay so in all cases it hurts.

ChrisB, Whilst I fully appreciate the sentiment, the practicality of doing this far too complex. Who defines "intoxicated"? and what if that intoxication wasn't fully to blame?

However, back to this case. There were things not mentioned in the article. Was it the  drunken people on board who  called the emergency services? Was the person who called them, drunk at the time? and many other questions. No, I think this was just a case of the newspaper trying to fill space, rather than report an incident.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

ChrisB, Whilst I fully appreciate the sentiment, the practicality of doing this far too complex. Who defines "intoxicated"? and what if that intoxication wasn't fully to blame?

However, back to this case. There were things not mentioned in the article. Was it the  drunken people on board who  called the emergency services? Was the person who called them, drunk at the time? and many other questions. No, I think this was just a case of the newspaper trying to fill space, rather than report an incident.

I am feeling a little more to the right in my leanings this morning than Attila The Hun.

• Haha 3

Actually, given the title of this thread, I'm going to get something off my chest.

I have read here and elsewhere comments along the lines of … "If a dayboat hire company sees a crew loading cases of beer on board, they shouldn't let the hirers out, it is irresponsible of them to do so."

RUBBISH.

Lets say lets say 8 males hire a dayboat. How much beer should the hire company allow to be taken on board ?

Assuming there are two designated drivers for going home after the party (for which we will allow a pint and a half each, How much beer can 6 heavy drinkers drink? Are the non helmsmen allowed to get helplessly drunk (given that they have two friends to look after them)

Sorry folks but it is NOT the responsibility of the he company to stop perfectly legal activity, nor is it their place to cast judgement on the drinking habits of anybody UNTIL an offence has been committed.

If that stag party hires a boat for a week, I hate to think how much beer they could get through if they really went for it. In my heavier drinking days, anything less that 8 pints at a lunchtime session was just a sniff of the barmaids apron. In the evening I'd get in my stride and get drinking.

Ok, I ended up with a problem and had to give up the booze for ten years, but the amount I could put away was  frightening. In that period I never indecently exposed myself, I mugged nobody and I was never arrested for anything. People who commit these sorts of offences and blame the booze are kidding themselves. It wasn't the booze, it was them!"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The police seem well able to define and identify drunks in road traffic situations so why not traffic afloat?

No they don't, they are able to identify those who have drunk too much alcohol to legally drive, but those people are rarely "drunk"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fully agree with MM’s take on this .

I enjoy an occasional drink , and have a fairly high tolerance and have been known to simply fall asleep in the corner at the end of a particular heavy evening , whilst others I know can have three or four pints and turn into the irresponsible type that annoys us all and behave in such a way as to cause distress to others 

When I used to be a publican there were some customers I was happy to serve seemingly unending pints to whilst others had to be watched after a couple , it is the individual that causes the problem he (or she) knows their own “safe level” and should stick to it 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It is a real pity that so many people associate a good time on the river with the consumption of large amounts of alcohol.  There are so many more interesting things to do on a boat.  Whilst it may not be illegal, there are killjoys out there just itching to introduce drink-drive regulations on the water, which would be to everyone's detriment. The irresponsible use of alcohol  by an antisocial minority just gives power to the killjoy lobby.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

No they don't, they are able to identify those who have drunk too much alcohol to legally drive, but those people are rarely "drunk"

When does a consumer of alcohol become a drunk? Me, I never get drunk, just tiddly! Well, I don't think that that is entirely true, when I'm under the influence of drink, tiddly, plastered or wholly incapable, I am drunk!  Now in my advanced state of senility I can no longer see any great joy in laying on my bunk watching the ceiling spin round!

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I wonder what would happen if booze had not been discovered a few millenium ago?

And now it suddenly bursts onto the "Night Out Scene" Given the social and financial  problems it presents to huge numbers,  what would happen?

Well my guess is it would be classified as a Class A Drug.

I don't have a drink at all when I'm driving, that's my choice. And I know that speed of car compared to speed of boat is entirely different. Nonetheless I do know holidaymakers who have compared the Bure in August to the M25 and I think that it would be fair to say that you need your wits about you when the rivers are at their busiest.

If you want to put me in the "killjoy lobby" that's fine. But I put safety first. That's not only the person at the helm but the person stepping off to tie the ropes. People should know their own limits and be sensible but where's the fun in drinking excessively, having an accident, endangering other people, spoiling someone else's holiday and maybe even ending up in hospital.

How many of us have been tempted to move to another mooring when a noisy party arrive with their anti-social behaviour?

• Like 4

I don't mind people  drinking but there is a limit.I often have one or two pints at lunch time and enyoy so.However have seen many times people knocking back at eight in the morning and there boat is going all over the river,it can be a danger to others that's  when it becomes a problem. Have a drink by all means but do so in moderation .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ray said:

Like so many things in life, do your own thing and enjoy yourself without impinging on other people doing their own thing and enjoying themselves.

Simple responsibility :default_beerchug:

Totally agree with this its just a shame that today a great many couldnt give a monkeys about how their actions impact on others. 

Personally i like to have a drink when on the boat but i know my limit and its very low, cheap date me. 

• Like 2

Problem is that all the comments in this thread about not drinking and drinking in moderation are all made by responsible people with consideration for others around them. Those who cause the problems do not share these qualities. 

3 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I think your correct,Sadly some will get on a boat then get legless and enjoy doing so without a care for others.Thats when trouble can happen. 

Is it a drink/alchohol problem or a person attitude problem?

25 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Spot on. I believe it to be the people  not the booze.

Its a bit like the ban guns brigade, its not the gun that kills some one it the person pulling the trigger.  Alcohol doesnt give people the attitude its the person themselves. Right just off up the pub for breakfast ................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Its a bit like the ban guns brigade, its not the gun that kills some one it the person pulling the trigger.  Alcohol doesnt give people the attitude its the person themselves. Right just off up the pub for breakfast ................

Contrary to popular belief, alcohol is a depressant.