Rhond Anchors

vanessan

The talk about rhond anchors on another thread recently got me wondering about the history of them and how they were originally designed to be used. The only meaningful thing that came up when I googled rhond anchors was a thread on here from last year! There doesn’t appear to be a dictionary entry anywhere and I assume the word ‘rhond’ originated in Norfolk and became part of the ‘local speak’. I always thought rhonds related to reeds and therefore the anchor was designed to allow a boat to moor in reeds but I have no idea where that thought came from. In 2017, Vaughan said that his understanding of rhond was ‘earth bank’ and that would certainly tie in with how rhond anchors are used today. Does anyone have any idea of the true history of the rhond anchor which I believe is only used on the Norfolk Broads? (I may be wrong in that, no doubt someone will know.)

I have never seen them on other waterways and I am conscious that we appear to use the wrong word for "dyke" on the Broads. We use the name for a narrow, dug out waterway, but the Dutch use it to describe the bank which protects the land around, from flooding of the waterway.

Remember the fable of the little Dutch boy with his finger in a hole in the dyke?

• Like 1

On one of our holidays in the 60s we got our timing wrong and after passing the fulll moorings at Reedham we arrived at Reedham Ferry in the dark. The only mooring we could see was at the downstream end of the pub's moorings. 

The last boat moored was on a wooden edged mooring but where we pulled up to was just grass - or so we thought.

It turned out to be very squishy land with reed stubble (our feet got very wet). With nowhere to go we took a gamble and shoved the rhond hooks in. We were still there in the morning so rhond hooks do hold in less than perfect ground.

It turned out that we had moored where the pub was clearing the land to extend their moorings.

• Like 2

I had read the onion bargee blogspot but no ‘new’ information in that. Indeed it confirms exactly what Vaughan said in the earlier thread. Rhond anchors have been around for donkeys years but I find it interesting that the Broads is the only waterway they are used on and no one appears to have any idea as to how they came about in the first place. I wonder if they have ever been patented..............

I too went hunting, and the one interesting thing I found was the picture showing the correct and incorrect way of positioning the Rhond Anchor on Herbert Woods website, indeed showing the anchor embedded firmly over the crown of the rhond, though whether hire yards leave enough rope on the warps to achieve this ideal, I am unsure (and whether the rhond has the crown that it used to as well)

Rhond%20Anchors.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

'Jolly Useful' indeed.  I have spent many a night on wild moorings confident that they will hold us there despite some strong winds sometimes.  Before now I have tied two on the end of a mooring rope and used them as a secondary mudweight, or thrown them into reeds if no terra firma available, they have never let me down (Carry a second mudweight nowadays).  I would not set sail without them

Griff

BA NBN 443.jpg

• Like 2

On 29/08/2018 at 10:38, vanessan said:

The talk about rhond anchors on another thread recently got me wondering about the history of them and how they were originally designed to be used. The only meaningful thing that came up when I googled rhond anchors was a thread on here from last year! There doesn’t appear to be a dictionary entry anywhere and I assume the word ‘rhond’ originated in Norfolk and became part of the ‘local speak’. I always thought rhonds related to reeds and therefore the anchor was designed to allow a boat to moor in reeds but I have no idea where that thought came from. In 2017, Vaughan said that his understanding of rhond was ‘earth bank’ and that would certainly tie in with how rhond anchors are used today. Does anyone have any idea of the true history of the rhond anchor which I believe is only used on the Norfolk Broads? (I may be wrong in that, no doubt someone will know.)

Diving into my Greek and Early English...Rhond is a powerful river in Greek, in English a spear. You also have the German and Gaelic Rhone, Rone and Rhon all referring to the channelling of water between narrow banks or pipe. An etymology of spear of land jutting into a river or water channel with high banks probably not too far away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Timbo said:

Diving into my Greek and Early English...Rhond is a powerful river in Greek, in English a spear. You also have the German and Gaelic Rhone, Rone and Rhon all referring to the channelling of water between narrow banks or pipe. An etymology of spear of land jutting into a river or water channel with high banks probably not too far away.

so to sum it up, the Rhond is a spit of land between two rivers where an old Englishman is attacking a Vikings shield rim with his spear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 29/08/2018 at 14:25, grendel said:

I too went hunting, and the one interesting thing I found was the picture showing the correct and incorrect way of positioning the Rhond Anchor on Herbert Woods website, indeed showing the anchor embedded firmly over the crown of the rhond, though whether hire yards leave enough rope on the warps to achieve this ideal, I am unsure (and whether the rhond has the crown that it used to as well)

Rhond%20Anchors.jpg

I remember seeing that diagram years ago in some manual or other and it makes sense - but only in the event you moor next to an upward sloping bank. What if the bank is flat or sloping the other way? I'll admit when needing rhond anchors I tend to wonder whether I've placed them correctly.