Addicted

addicted

Along with,  I suspect, lots of other boat owners our dealings with canopy makers over the years has often been fraught with difficulties. Last year we ordered a new canopy wanting exactly the same as we already had. When it arrived it was very different in many respects and not a good fit either, although that was not insurmountable, however  the fact that it leaked like a sieve was! they took it away and came back to us a few days later saying that they were unable to make a canopy like we already had - despite the fact that was them who made the existing one!! so we are still using the original.  .A recent visit to the boat to check it over revealed that the cover over our saloon roof light had fallen victim to the recent high winds and had disappeared so we find ourselves in need of a   company that can make a replacement. Can anyone recommend  someone. We've phoned Snugtopz but there's never anyone to answer the phone and left messages have thus far elicited no response.

Carole

Snugtopz Richard is always busy but has made quality covers for us in the past. He is also making a windscreen cover for us at the moment so you will have to wait a little longer:default_biggrin:. I do know Richard is short of staff but works untold hours. Try calling into the shop. Face to face is often better.

Colin:default_drinks:

• Like 2

I went with Jeckells for my new canopy late 2016, it was spot on and with their winter discount offer quite well priced as well.

I have also seen and heard good things about Bailey and Stone and would likley give them a try if I ever need more canopy work.

Hope that's of some use:default_biggrin:

• Like 1

Our canopy originally not made by Jeckells has had various repairs and replacement panels, we have always found them accommodating with their while you wait repairs, some I do myself but others require stitching through up to six layers of canvas for the tie down patches and zip problems we go to Jeckells.

Regards  

Alan

Creative Covers just finished ours this month. Very pleased with the outcome and service. If you go to their website their numbers are there, call the mobile number or send a text incase they are out and about. 👍🏻

Cheers 

Paul 

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to respond to my request, unfortunately,  one of those most  recommended   we have pervious experience of and  although the canopy was o.k,. our boat was damaged and the other is the company that made the existing one.  I have come to the conclusion that any Company is  probably only as good as the last job they did! Prior to our present situation I would have had no hesitation in recommending the company that made the one we already have, it's been superb but is now coming up for 11 years old and clearly won't go on forever and we thought to replace it before it became urgent -  as the saying goes the best laid plans of mice and men!!

Carole

4 minutes ago, addicted said:

I have come to the conclusion that any Company is  probably only as good as the last job they did!

Yes Carole, very much so.

In your OP you say

17 hours ago, addicted said:

Last year we ordered a new canopy wanting exactly the same as we already had.

and

17 hours ago, addicted said:

came back to us a few days later saying that they were unable to make a canopy like we already had - despite the fact that was them who made the existing one!!

I have to ask, Did you make it very clear that you wanted it the same as the old one? and when they later said they couldn't do that, did they say why?

Age and stress distorts most materials so they may well not want to use the old one as a template, and starting from taking new measurements may well end up with differences. However neither of those factors forgive the leaking.  

Don't forget a company has many seamstresses/machinist although most companies are pretty good at keeping quality up some bits may slip up, I'm sure that if raised correctly most companies will resolve any issues. 

I'd say the best advice when looking for a canopy is; prepare to wait, they are busy because they are good, they are also busy because it's not a quick process and there's not many doing it, prepare to wait your turn, patiently. Also don't tell them how to do the canopy, trust me, they know a hell of lot more than you do and believe it or not even a simple canopy isn't simple and there is a ton of skill which goes into making one, help them by being clear as to what you like but leave them to do the details. Don't skimp: if you skimp you will get a rushed job with less features (maybe then be allocated to a less experienced machinist) and sadly cheap rushed jobs are really affecting the market resulting in lost skills and amateurs coming in and undercutting resulting in a downward spiral. Pay the right price.  Also don't be so quick to judge companies from previous work,  you never how much input the customer had and how little was paid. 

I'm sure all of the canopy canopies in Norfolk are some of the best considering the amount they do. So you won't go wrong by going with these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Age and stress distorts most materials so they may well not want to use the old one as a template, and starting from taking new measurements may well end up with differences. However neither of those factors forgive the leaking.  

As MM mentions, No canopy companies can make a new canopy from an existing canopy, fabrics do indeed shrink (even depending on the temperature) and grow, so getting the canopy off a cold boat and into a nice warm workshop the canopy maybe a completely different shape and size. So a new canopy made this way maybe too tight or loose, If a supplier is stating they can do this then yeah look elsewhere.  A bespoke template should be taken for all new canopies, This can be completed using a plastic material or an electronic one using posh new machines. Again this alone isn't easy and needs to be completed by someone experienced.

A good designed canopy shouldn't leak but it takes a lot of time - Money - to get a leak free canopy design, be default some degree of leaking from a canopy needs to be expected as a canopy is really only an additional protection from an external area, if you really want it leak free make sure you make this clear, as it will need additions and design features.  If it's leaking through the fabric then it means it's the wrong material although that's unlikely. It may leak for several weeks through the seams whilst the threads swell up which is a characteristic of the thread.  

If you have a canopy made by Bailey & Stone they use a electronic measuring gizmo that puts all the dimensions  on to a stick this they keep on file,   theoretically they can churn  out exact copies in for nightum its millimeters accurate, providing your rails are in the same place. its amazing bit of kit he places a stand on the deck then follows the contours and fastener spots with this flexible arm, it records it all on a stick it evan does it rain or wind in minutes, unlike paper patterns . John 

1 minute ago, annv said:

If you have a canopy made by Bailey & Stone they use a electronic measuring gizmo that puts all the dimensions  on to a stick this they keep on file,   theoretically they can churn  out exact copies in for nightum its millimeters accurate, providing your rails are in the same place. its amazing bit of kit he places a stand on the deck then follows the contours and fastener spots with this flexible arm, it records it all on a stick it evan does it rain or wind in minutes, unlike paper patterns . John 

Just for transparency, I understand Snugtopz has a similar and Jeckells was showing interest in ours at the boatshow so I suspect they will get one soon too. 

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for their input. For the record we've been commissioning canopies for boats for in excess of 40 years and subsequently are pretty clued up on how to make our requirements  known. .Looking for cheapness was never on the agenda. Our preferred company in this instance would be Snugtopz but we  have had no luck in contacting them. Not living in the area makes calling in to the workshop a bit tricky during the winter months when we' re at home rather than on the  boat and we would like to get this new cover made as soon as possible rather than wait for the season to start. Once  again thanks to everyone.

Carole

59 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Try Richard again (Snugtopz), I know he hasn't been well recently (bad cold) and has fallen behind a bit but is catching up again.

paul

Just tried to ring again as you suggested - success! apparently the number on the website is not the number to leave him a message on as it goes elsewhere to another part of the company. Anyway it seems to be sorted, so thanks again all.

Carole

• Like 2

I am glad you are sorted, I nearly didn't suggest trying again but he deserves a second chance, nice bloke, that is if he fits our window covers.

That is why I posted, having asked how he was getting along he told me his health problem, working on boats outside in the recent weather cannot help.

He told me when they are fitted, because he has the latest  tech,  if we lose one cover we can call and he can make another one from computer memory as he saves all the new covers he makes digitally.

paul

ps it doesn't pay to visit his shop unless you want to spend money, there is always something you want.

• Like 1