Car Talk

LondonRascal

On 15/03/2023 at 17:42, Mouldy said:

It seems that it’s not just car manufacturing we can’t keep in the UK.  A Cornish bakers making Cornish Pasties (not Ginsters sadly) has been bought by the French.  What is it with this once great country?

https://www.business-live.co.uk/manufacturing/cornish-pasty-maker-proper-cornish-26401369.amp

Phew I got worried then I thought it was Malcolm Barnecutts who had been bought out.. There best Pasties in Cornwall 👍👍👍

Can the back plates be seen when the wheels are on?

No as the disc over drum assemblies hides them.  They were getting tired and needed some tlc.  Originally I had intended not to do owt with them until I took the drum/discs off and saw the condition of them (Previous photo) then discovering one of the handbrake shoes - the friction material had come away.  That forced my hand, into renovating them.  The only reason I used blue brake calliper paint is that I have plenty of it available and seemed rude not to

Griff

17 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Nice blue paint 👍

Does it make it go any faster 😜

But of course, gains at least 5hp per side :default_icon_liar:

Griff

No it's the coefficient of drag on the rust flakes that slows it down

• Haha 2

Mind you the 5hp increase in power may actually take his total output into 3 figures

Erm - Referee!

'We' are up to around 180hp-ish which is about as far as I'm prepared to go.  For a small light car produced in 2002 that is more than acceptable for the likes of me on four wheels and its awesome fun to drive, a proper drivers car

Now if you want some real impressive power to weight ratio, then there's my Mighty Tiger.  That'll hit 100mph (And a lot more) before you have found second gear. :default_smiley-taunt014:

In fact the only thing I own that will out accelerate my Tiger is one of my 12g loads outa my Browning :default_2gunsfiring_v1:Mind you any one of my guns will do that come to think, even the Airsporter (Favourite)

Griff

• Haha 2

I would be more concerned whether it made you stop better than if it makes you go faster.

That's the general idea 'Mr Sensible' - Making sure the braking system is in top shape.  I will be chauffeuring Purdey, Grandsons and MrsG in Zebedee, not to mention mates etc and I kinda like having confidence in the braking system

Griff

• Like 2

Now, where was I?  Oh yes:-

Got home for 1530-ish today, it was mild and dry - Yippee.

So commenced with spanner rashing at 1600. Offside - Sorted. Then I made the mistake of putting t kettle on prior to commencing nearside, that brought the rain on and its now getting dark  so the nearside will now have to wait till the morning assuming it won't be raining, weather forecast stating rain most of the day, that will proper hold me up 

Griff

BA NBN 1252.jpg

BA NBN 1253.jpg

BA NBN 1257.jpg

BA NBN 1258.jpg

BA NBN 1259.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Now, where was I?  Oh yes:-

Got home for 1530-ish today, it was mild and dry - Yippee.

So commenced with spanner rashing at 1600. Offside - Sorted. Then I made the mistake of putting t kettle on prior to commencing nearside, that brought the rain on and its now getting dark  so the nearside will now have to wait till the morning assuming it won't be raining, weather forecast stating rain most of the day, that will proper hold me up 

Griff

BA NBN 1252.jpg

BA NBN 1253.jpg

BA NBN 1257.jpg

BA NBN 1258.jpg

BA NBN 1259.jpg

Looking good Charlie. 

• Thanks 1

So far this morning the rain has thankfully held off so I'm at it

I built up the nearside then it was time to bleed both rears. I removed the present brake fluid – Have you seen the state of it?
It should be very nearly clear. More evidence that the previous owners mechanics not looking After Zebedee as they should have been (He was a 'Hands Off' owner now with a brand new Z4)

Anyroadup I replaced it with new DOT4 stuff and flushed through to the rears, then bled em. (The fronts will obviously get done in due course)

The callipers can be seen through the rim spokes and do look well

Rims – gave them a deep clean. They are now starting to suffer due to their age with the finish starting to show signs of coming away and the weather getting in, especially on the back of em. In due course I will be having all four refurbished by an outfit in Barnsley.

Reset the handbrake shoes / cables, all to the good.

Time for a mug of mechanics tea and onto the fronts

Onwards and upwards then,

Griff

BA NBN 1260.jpg

BA NBN 1261.jpg

BA NBN 1262.jpg

BA NBN 1263.jpg

BA NBN 1264.jpg

• Like 1

It is usual to smear copper slip (or similar) on all moving surfaces to stop rusting and friction. John

Agreed - Standard operating procedure is being adhered to at this hovel.  Some areas I have use anti-seize grease that was supplied with the new parts, in other areas I have used coppaslip

Griff

4 hours ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

That brake fluid looks like the fake Cornish Guinness I was on last night it’s just missing the frothy head 🤣🤣.  

9A036740-8395-4DDA-80FF-200C1F9E26CC.jpeg

That looks a bit chewy!  Are you in Cornwall now or is it available in your local?

4 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

That looks a bit chewy!  Are you in Cornwall now or is it available in your local?

It’s in my local £5 a pint they said no one was paying £6.30 for the proper stuff.. Saying that it’s a good pint 🍺 I managed 8 pints last night and no side effects 🤣🤣🤣

13 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

It’s in my local £5 a pint they said no one was paying £6.30 for the proper stuff.. Saying that it’s a good pint 🍺 I managed 8 pints last night and no side effects 🤣🤣🤣

When you’ve sampled the proper stuff in Ireland, it’s just not the same anywhere else.  It’s not the side effects that worry me . . . . . More the after effects!  My capacity for beer now is greatly reduced.  Much more than a pint and I’d have no time for sleep between visits to the loo!! 

• Like 2

Hi It's also good practice to smear brake grease on the inside of alloy wheels were they come in contact with the hub this stops them corroding to the hub and prevents easy wheel removal in the future. John

Yep - Already done this with coppaslip on the rears and will do so on the fronts

Griff

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

When you’ve sampled the proper stuff in Ireland, it’s just not the same anywhere else.

too true, I sampled it at  pub right next to the brewery in Dublin once (it was rumoured there was a direct pipe from the vats to the pumps) and i can safely say I havent tasted a better drop of guinness

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

When you’ve sampled the proper stuff in Ireland, it’s just not the same anywhere else.  It’s not the side effects that worry me . . . . . More the after effects!  My capacity for beer now is greatly reduced.  Much more than a pint and I’d have no time for sleep between visits to the loo!! 

Sampled the proper stuff many times when I was over there working.. Personally you can not beat Beamish out there I do miss a pint of that.. Now that would be a good road trip. I thought I would add that in as it’s in the Car talk section 🤣🤣