Subsiding House

garryn

On 01/04/2019 at 11:20, JennyMorgan said:

Q, a floating platform might be cheaper.

It seems to have worked for the Conservation Centre in Ranworth...

I'm sure someone will say actually no that's a nightmare and is forever about to sink, but it does seem a good idea.

The problem with floating is the services and utilities have to be flexible as a very dry summer can lower things considerably. Once saw a septic tank break the surface  when it was pumped after a flood. The ground had become waterlogged and the black water was failing to run away. The household's only option was to use it as a cess pit and pump out when full but when they tried to do this it wanted to float and a three cubic metre GRP sphere is pretty damn bouyant.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I think Jac is talking about the same house pictured on page 1 of this thread. I also think they meant they saw the house from The Southern Comfort trip boat, easily confused with a Mississippi steamer.

That would be my opinion too, there seems to be a solid enough foundation that the building is on, its just the supports under that foundation structure that appear to have failed. new piling seems to be the option used elsewhere in the area.

I work in the construction industry, not in underpinning however I do know it's very expensive

I would think the problem with jacking the house up then piling could well lead to the cottage being severely damaged and then having to be demolished anyway.

Most of the value of the property would be it's land in such a prime position, therefore demolishing it,  piling and re-build maybe the cheapest option for an insurance company

Now, what is the view of an insurance company with a house so close to water, I'm sure they will cover themselves for flooding but would they put in a much higher excess for subsiding?

I might be remembering the wrong house but hasn't that one sunk at one end before and hasn't it since been extended and also had a heavy thatched roof and dormers added, perhaps without thought to what was or was not underneath?  As a much younger person I remember visiting family friends on their boat and walking past that house with my father and both of us commenting on just how out of true the building was, that must have been 1960's and early 1970's.  Back then, if I remember correctly, it was a boat house but then it was 'rebuilt' as a house.