A Couple Of Pubs From The 1970's

I've managed to retrieve some photos from the previous Mrs Nog :default_norty: so I thought I'd post a couple. Apologies about the quality as they are scanned from slides.

First up is the superb Bridge Inn at Potter Heigham. Sadly burnt down in the early 80's I believe. Nothing remains of the original building although some tile work from the floors can still be seen in what is now a car park. Carol has some information on her web site and I think Ex Pilot provided some history as I recall but I'm not sure where it is. I think the blaze started due to a fire being lit in a fireplace which hadn't been used for a long time. The pub was pretty much destroyed although the remains were supported with scaffolding for a while. I also seem to think the insurance didn't cover the rebuilding costs. Such a shame, a lovely pub and a location to die for. Happy memories!

Bridge.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Another lost pub is the Eagle at Neatishead. Well not strictly gone in a sense, as it's now a private house. It has been altered a fair bit but is still recognisable. A cracking little pub. I seem to recall it frequently won in the small pub category in a best pub competition which was run by Blakes.

Eagle.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

One that needs little introduction, the Swan at Horning. The lovely interior with the stuffed fish and cast iron tables has long gone. The garden has undergone changes too - in those days it was just grassed over with a few tables and chairs.

Swan.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey.... Mr Nog :default_drinks:

I know a lot of forumites will be aware of some of what you're about to bring us, however I just know I am going to have absolutely no idea about a lot of the doo dahs in this thread as it will in the main pre date my existence I am sure, and those that don't I reckon I'll have been far too young (other adjectives may be more accurate) to remember :default_smiley-angelic002:

I do however look forward to learning more about my beloved broadband pubs and then being able to personally investigate what is in their place nowadays when I return again in the future and having a good look into the history and development since.

I think I'm going to enjoy your thread my friend :default_beerchug:

Ha, ha, yes, I was forgetting you're nowt but a lad JF :default_biggrin:

I really wish I had taken some photos inside the pubs though. That would have really thrown you :default_norty:

Bit sad really, as cameras didn't usually have built in flash folks didn't take interior photos like they do now. I seem to recall the Swan was stunning inside.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Another good old Watneys pub back in the 70's.

Was there really ever such a thing as a 'good old Watney's pub, back then or ever? I personally enjoyed both their Stingo and Cream Label but their Red Barrel was dire and I'm not alone in that thought. I was joint licencee of the Waveney Inn back in the 70's and because Watneys paid to resurface the car park we agreed to feature Red Barrel in the most prominent position in the bar. Despite that it was our worst seller by far, mind you, it was up against the likes of Courages Directors, Adnams, Scottish Newcastle,  in all fifteen top brews of the day. The only thing that folk seemed to like were the Red Barrel key rings, we gave hundreds if not thousands away, mainly to go on dog's collars.  Mention has been made of Blakes Pub of the Year, we kept winning that, indeed other pubs eventually complained, saying that it wasn't worth them entering thus the competition regretfully became history. Good old days, a time when there were scores of boatyards down South and North Rivers boats thought it an adventure to come South! We regularly had fifty plus visitor boats moored for the night.

• Like 5

All good stuff JM - the Watneys reference was a bit tongue in cheek, in fact it was the first Broads holiday which prompted me to become a CAMRA member. The Cream Label was not bad for a sweet stout though. 

Was there a landlady at the Waveney called Andy at one time? Seems to ring a bell. 

2 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Was there a landlady at the Waveney called Andy at one time? Seems to ring a bell. 

Andy was husband to Mike, Mike was my fellow licencee. Mike was without doubt the best manager that we had there, a bloke that I both admired and liked. It was a sad day for me and Mike when my fellow shareholders decided to sell up and invest their money elsewhere. We could see that the South Rivers holiday trade was peaking, as indeed it did, and I suppose it was a wise move but both Mike and myself had a real passion for the place. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chameleon said:

another shot showing as ja says a mk 1 consul granada

Potter_Nov_1978.jpg

I remember that, and a former friend actually saw it going up in flames when he was on holiday.  I`ve always said it would be great to see it rebuilt, but alas, it may be not financially viable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheQ said:

This link shows the Ferry and Swan Inn back in the 1930s..and back in around 1910, including shots of Horning regatta back then..

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/1900to1949gallery3.html

So from your link this was how The Ferry was when it suffered a direct hit in 1941 killing over 20. I think it was attributed to a German bomber not finding target and having to unload before the return crossing of the North Sea and subsequent landing.

Screenshot_20190627-173627.thumb.png.6192e3a5a3dbd4a0e57ddfdfd2a3f1e6.png

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Howard, here is one to be going on with, when Ron Wilkinson was the landlord.

Thanks for that JM - looks maybe 60's?

Can't see Ron on the Norfolk Pubs data base although it's listed as being owned by Fowlers of Oulton Broad by 1975 and Michael George Whyles being landlord 1975 to 1978 when a Terence Abbot took over.

The pub was listed in the Good Beer Guide from 1977 to 1979 although it had gone by 1980. No mean feat as there were very few Norfolk pubs listed at that time. Coincidentally the Yare was listed in 1980 with an impressive range of beers for the time.

Also is the slide I was looking for, probably late 70's

:default_beerchug:

Waveney 1977 GBG.JPG

Waveney 1977.jpg

Waveney 1978 GBG.JPG

Waveney 1979 GBG.JPG

Waveney Inn.jpg

Yare 1980 GBG.JPG

• Like 1

Another Broads pub, again back in the 70's. This was the Ferry Inn at Reedham. Still a fairly basic pub without being smartened up as we see today. Like the Swan, a very basic frontage in a contrast to what it is now. A different ferry then too!

The ubiquitous Tolly Cobbold brewery being featured. Memory is a bit blurred but I seem to recall it was somewhat maligned as a beer although this may well have been down to the way it was kept rather than the beer itself. It was sold in several pubs and of course gave some relief from Watneys at the time.

As an aside, the Watneys name has been revived and beer is being brewed under the Watney name again although it is a far cry from what it was then. It is very good from what I can gather but not found its way up to flat cap land just yet.

Ferry.jpg

Reedham Ferry.jpg

• Like 5

As an aside to that, that ferry (or the remains thereof) can be seen in the reedbed just upstream from the dilapidated boardwalk moorings, now taped up and marked as unsafe. IMO, the Ferry isn't doing itself any favours with it's increasingly decrepit moorings.

• Like 3