Cruising Before 8 Am?

Coryton

1 hour ago, Cal said:

We were in Grimsby one morning tucked up in bed after a terrible run down the Humber the previous evening. We had decided to have an extra day in port to recover a little from our bearing the day before.

We knew the tide was early so it wasn't a surprise when the big old fly bridge boat next door fired its engines up at 3am. What was  surprise was that the owner then sat there for 45 minutes warming his engines up before he set off!

Needless to say there were several very unhappy people the next day who had been rudely awoken from their slumber!

Now that is rude and inconsiderate!

It never worries me if someone starts an engine and departs early, nor does it bother me if they haven’t told me they are going to do so. I expect some folk to get up early to catch the tide or just to make the most of the daylight hours. Good luck to them!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

Yeah indeed.

We've all done it, but it's always very much a case of flick the engine on at the last minute and then get out of there (quietly).

have you ever tried just flicking the engine on -on a Martham boat, or Quietly and thats not to mention the cloud of smoke on startup. great boats but the engines are nearly as old as the boats.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, grendel said:

have you ever tried just flicking the engine on -on a Martham boat, or Quietly and thats not to mention the cloud of smoke on startup. great boats but the engines are nearly as old as the boats.

I believe most of the boats now have a modern Narnni. 

Having moored overnight at The Ferry House Surlingham a couple of years ago, the crew i.e Mrs Bluebell (aka as the home based admiral) departed by road leaving me to return to Potter Heigham solo. I calculated that departing at 04.30 was the optimum time to catch the tides. So for the first time I used the nav lights and rather than disturb the neighbours, untied and pushed out into the ebbing tide - no engine - only firing up the Nanni once clear of the moorings. Probably not to be recommended on reflection, but nobody died!

Once I got my night vision sorted I enjoyed running with the tide, but on approaching Brundall the number of properties with security lights either permanently on, or coming on when triggered really proved a challenge.

Watching the sun come up around Reedham - priceless.

Just one of many happy memories of boating on the Norfolk Broads (not a national park).

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Bluebell said:

Once I got my night vision sorted I enjoyed running with the tide, but on approaching Brundall the number of properties with security lights either permanently on, or coming on when triggered really proved a challenge.

I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this and as I understand it those lights are illegal, interfering with safe navigation or summat. Maybe @Wildfuzz could comment?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

We are just setting off from Stalham (0545) on what looks to be a great day for weather. The mist has just cleared. Intend to get down the Ant before all of Richo's finest wake up!

You out all week @Vaughan?

I'm in Brundall this weekend but will be coming north later in the week.

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

We are just setting off from Stalham (0545) on what looks to be a great day for weather. The mist has just cleared. Intend to get down the Ant before all of Richo's finest wake up!

What's your boat called Vaughan, we're hoping to get up North for the first part of the week, so we'keep an eye out for you.