Cruising Before 8 Am?

Coryton

I've just noticed this on the Herbert Woods web site:

"Don’t forget if you want to moor up somewhere on your last night, you need to be within an hour’s reach of the marina as hire boats have a return time to the boat yard of 9am and across the Broads, engines are permitted to be switched on at 8am."

Where does this "8 am rule" come from?

It's the first I've come across it. I had a look through the by-laws a few weeks ago and don't recall seeing like this.

I believe that boats with lights (so not hire boats) are allowed to cruise at night, so if you can't use your engine until 8 am, when does it start being before 8?

4 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

I think your reading too much into the 8am time as there’s no time limit to start moving in the morning light permitting. It’s just giving you a guide so you get back before 9am 

John

I'm not sure how else to interpret "engines are permitted to be switched on at 8am".....

They are saying you have to be less than an hour away in order to get there by 9 because you can't start till 8.

If the sun is up then you can cruise  , the gumph in the paperwork they used to give you clearly stated that the permitted cruising hours were between sunrise and sunset , I find the above HW quote to be most misleading , when we used to hire we often set off at daybreak to travel back to the hire yard .

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

, I find the above HW quote to be most misleading 

Which is fine in itself....but makes me wonder what else they say that I shouldn't believe...

23 minutes ago, marshman said:

AND, more importantly, not to run your engines on moorings before 8 a.m.

I thought you weren't really supposed to run them on moorings at all.

Herbert Woods are talking nonsense. As others have said the rule refers to running engines whilst moored, not for setting off. Having said that, if I was moored right next to somebody I wouldn't feel comfortable starting up as soon as dawn breaks for fear of disturbing them. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Herbert Woods are talking nonsense. As others have said the rule refers to running engines whilst moored, not for setting off. Having said that, if I was moored right next to somebody I wouldn't feel comfortable starting up as soon as dawn breaks for fear of disturbing them. 

Very true but is sometimes necessary when I’m heading South to enable catching the right time of tide at Yarmouth , in these instances I always mention to any closely moored boats that I am moving off early 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Very true but is sometimes necessary when I’m heading South to enable catching the right time of tide at Yarmouth , in these instances I always mention to any closely moored boats that I am moving off early 

So do I. It's just good manners!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coryton said:

I'm not sure how else to interpret "engines are permitted to be switched on at 8am".....

They are saying you have to be less than an hour away in order to get there by 9 because you can't start till 8.

Absolute crap. There is absolutely NO law, or bye law that stipulates you cannot run engines before 08.00. The limits for hie boats is you`re not allowed to cruise at night or in the hours of darkness, that`s why they`re NOT fitted with nav lights. If the  rule was you`re not allowed to run engines before 08.00, there`s a lot of law breakers out there, me included.  If you wish to cruise from first light, just do so, and as others have said, try to notify any close neighbours the night before. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Absolute crap. There is absolutely NO law, or bye law that stipulates you cannot run engines before 08.00. The limits for hie boats is you`re not allowed to cruise at night or in the hours of darkness, that`s why they`re NOT fitted with nav lights. If the  rule was you`re not allowed to run engines before 08.00, there`s a lot of law breakers out there, me included.  If you wish to cruise from first light, just do so, and as others have said, try to notify any close neighbours the night before. 

Yes well that's what I thought...but as I said above, it's left me a bit wary of anything else I might read on their web site.

I wonder why they would write such a thing.

Mind you, given when first light will be in August, even if I was happy to get going at dawn I'm not sure how much of an awake crew I'd have...

• Like 2

The Herbert Woods key fob is a bit clearer! As others have said it's fine to move off anytime, it's the sitting on a mooring with your engine throbbing away while every numpty on board has a shower before setting off which annoys folk. The instructions aren't very clear. Incidentally we often set off early, 6 or 7 is not unusual. I have even been known to cast off and start the engine in mid stream although I wouldn't recommend this! :default_eusa_naughty:

DSC_6413.JPG

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

The Herbert Woods key fob is a bit clearer! As others have said it's fine to move off anytime, it's the sitting on a mooring with your engine throbbing away while every numpty on board has a shower before setting off which annoys folk. The instructions aren't very clear. Incidentally we often set off early, 6 or 7 is not unusual. I have even been known to cast off and start the engine in mid stream although I wouldn't recommend this! :default_eusa_naughty:

Ah yes that's informative.

I have just asked them anyway. 

I suppose you could argue that as one should make sure the engine actually starts before untying, for a short period then the engine will be running at the mooring....

But then again the fob only says "Please avoid", not "Don't"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coryton said:

as one should make sure the engine actually starts before untying

you should indeed, I wouldn't recommend it. We set off from Coltishall in May at silly o'clock in the morning and as everyone was clearly in bed I pushed off before starting the engine. The river is quiet there so no real risk, I certainly wouldn't advocate doing at Reedham!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

you should indeed, I wouldn't recommend it. We set off from Coltishall in May at silly o'clock in the morning and as everyone was clearly in bed I pushed off before starting the engine. The river is quiet there so no real risk, I certainly wouldn't advocate doing at Reedham!

I have done the same, when returning to Broadsedge in high season we would regularly pass through Ludham Bridge before day break. In the summer holiday period we would often complete our days journey before breakfast. In June it is light at 0400 a wonderful time to be underway. Having said that our four stroke petrol outboard power unit was whisper quiet.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Completely agree, and it is only the decent thing to do to just pre warn boats moored close by that you will be setting off early. I've never had any issue from anyone about it either, hirers or private, and I have set off at some very early hours :default_biggrin:

The only issue I have ever known people to have is running engines whilst moored at moorings for their hot water etc, which just seems bizarre to me when you can have a cruise along gorgeous rivers whilst simultaneously warming your water ready for you.

4 hours ago, Jayfire said:

Completely agree, and it is only the decent thing to do to just pre warn boats moored close by that you will be setting off early. I've never had any issue from anyone about it either, hirers or private, and I have set off at some very early hours :default_biggrin:

The only issue I have ever known people to have is running engines whilst moored at moorings for their hot water etc, which just seems bizarre to me when you can have a cruise along gorgeous rivers whilst simultaneously warming your water ready for you.

We were in Grimsby one morning tucked up in bed after a terrible run down the Humber the previous evening. We had decided to have an extra day in port to recover a little from our bearing the day before.

We knew the tide was early so it wasn't a surprise when the big old fly bridge boat next door fired its engines up at 3am. What was  surprise was that the owner then sat there for 45 minutes warming his engines up before he set off!

Needless to say there were several very unhappy people the next day who had been rudely awoken from their slumber!