Hi From Teesside (North Yorkshire!!)

Hi Everyone! New member first post!  We are not new to the Norfolk Broads boating scene though! We've had a few fantastic holidays over the years starting with me (Simon) as a youngster with my parents from 1989 (Miss Dream River I think it was) and with my own family (Wife Jen and three boys) since 2009. Our last trip was on Ultimate Gem in 2016 (I've attached some pics). However, we are about to return to the tranquillity of the Broads again on the 22nd July 2019.

As you will probably notice, we love the 'bath tub' type boats....not just for the value for money, but also because of the forward seating well and the air draft for bridge navigations! I am really looking forward to returning to the broads and checking out all our favourite spots including Wroxham, Acle, Brundall etc. An extra bonus for us this time is that we are planning to travel further up the North side than we have ever done before (we usually turn round at Wroxham) and travel on to Coltishall. Speaking of which, I was wondering what the mooring situation will be like at Coltishall at the end of July? I don't mind (even quite enjoy) a wild mooring and was wondering if it is still possible to navigate beyond the Green down to the Locks? Jen and I have been enjoying watching the adventures of Robin and Sheila (Rascal's Captain's Blog) on youtube and noticed that they had been up past the green towards the lock a few years back on Bronze Gem and more recently on Western Light.

Anyway, its nice to be part of a forum of friendly and helpful folk who all share the same enthusiasm and enjoyment of these fantastic boating experiences

All the best for now

Simon and Jen

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

• Like 6

• Simon7425 changed the title to Hi From Teesside (North Yorkshire!!)

:default_welcome: to the forum. I’m not sure that ‘tranquillity’ and the 22 July actually go together but I am sure you will find some nice quiet wild moorings while you are out and about. Wherever you go I hope you enjoy your return to the Broads. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

if you can get above potter heigham bridge there are a good few moorings on the section from candle dyke to hickling broad deep go dyke, white slea and deep dyke, plus a couple of good wild ones as you turn into candle dyke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome! Loved the pics. Hope you post to let us know how your holiday goes. 

We have moored at least twice at Coltishall Locks, I.e. beyond the green. It’s lovely up there , with clear water. Also, it’s only a short walk from there to The Recruiting Sergeant pub and, over the road from the pub, their deli shop. 

Helen

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum from my girl Grace and I, Simon and Jen. It's full of useful info and helpful people :default_beerchug:

18 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

We have moored at least twice at Coltishall Locks, it’s only a short walk from there to The Recruiting Sergeant pub

Like those very helpful information. Hells Bells thank you, as you'll be aware I'm not used to where these "pubs" (is that the correct term) are located, not being one to frequent them on a regular basis :default_smiley-angelic002:

Jay

9 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Welcome. Yep, it's a fantastic run up to Coltishall Lock. Most people don't even know you can cruise that far so you'll have no problem finding a mooring, even if it's full at Coltishall Common. 

Gulp! They will now.

I used to take cruisers up to Coltishall Lock , must be twenty years ago, and it was truly a magical place. Last time I visited the Lock was last year and do you know, like before I was the only one their. And the place like before......nothing had changed.

• Like 3

Welcome along! What a lovely introduction. You have some great photos there? Have you ever entered the Barnes Brinkcraft brochure competition? Keep an eye out for it via their Facebook page as there’ a very nice money off voucher if your photo is used ... and I’ve often seen nice family and pet photos winning the day!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marshman said:

Is that sign still there, the one just past the Rising Sun, saying that that is the limit of navigation for hire cruisers????

No