Hmmm....

Poppy

I have read on here and other forums that, and don't be shooting me now lol, that Barton is safe to navigate somewhat and mudweight outside of the posts, I can't quite work out where this is or if this was what the initial post was about but my questions still stands as we would like this as a first night option in September. Please be nice :1356_pray_tone2:

If you are in a bathtub type of boat then unless rivers are really low you will be ok just the other side of the  posts on the left as you’re heading towards Irstead , I wouldn’t try it on the left or right heading towards Neatishead except just before entering the narrow channel at the end where you are ok on the left or right hand side but not too far from the posts , do remember to allow a full rotation length of the boat you are on as they can and often do turn a full 360 , try and moor facing into the wind when you drop your weight 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, hazelgirl said:

I have read on here and other forums that, and don't be shooting me now lol, that Barton is safe to navigate somewhat and mudweight outside of the posts, I can't quite work out where this is or if this was what the initial post was about but my questions still stands as we would like this as a first night option in September. Please be nice :1356_pray_tone2:

It wasn't so much about his course, nothing wrong - his speed however....... I doubt that there was anything left on the morse :default_gbxhmm::default_blush:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

By the look of his bow wave I would guess at least 7mph

And the rest !  His engine sound from behind the pontoon aleted me to his approach. I barely had time to get the phone out !

With a 18.5ft waterline probably nowhere near 7mph. The imperial calculation for displacement hull speed is :-

1.34 x square root of waterline. For a V20 that is under 6mph and it would start to bulldoze water infront at that speed.

it is why we all complain about day boats, most are probably not speeding it is their waterline length and hull shape, especially when loaded to capacity.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

With a 18.5ft waterline probably nowhere near 7mph. The imperial calculation is :-

1.34 x square root of waterline. For a V20 that is under 6mph and it would start to bulldoze water infront at that speed.

Don't you just hate it when people get all scientific and you haven't got a clue what they:re on about?. :default_icon_e_biggrin:

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Don't you just hate it when people get all scientific and you haven't got a clue what they:re on about?. :default_icon_e_biggrin:

Just edited to make it more understandable.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

With a 18.5ft waterline probably nowhere near 7mph. The imperial calculation for displacement hull speed is :-

it is why we all complain about day boats, most are probably not speeding it is their waterline length and hull shape, especially when loaded to capacity.

Then I stand corrected , that said speed limits are maximum speed limits and NOT targets , plus of course hirers (and private) are told that we should not leave a visible excessive wake ergo irrespective of the Vikings speed it was excessive 

• Like 2

Absolutely, I was just trying to point out that at 6mph allowed going towards Acle, say, where allowed a 20 footer, a 30 footer and a 45 footer will produce a totally different wash. The smallest boat producing the most and having to give serious throttle.

• Like 3

Yesterday I drove down the road from NYA Brundall to willow marina at the end. From the bend in the river I stayed in line with a large low line cruiser, watching it go between the chalets (I was in my truck so could see over the fence line) Their wash was not in any way excessive yet keeping level my digital speedo was reading 10mph. 

Not sure what my point is but I found it interesting for some reason 

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Then I stand corrected , that said speed limits are maximum speed limits and NOT targets , plus of course hirers (and private) are told that we should not leave a visible excessive wake ergo irrespective of the Vikings speed it was excessive 

I have to disagree with some of your post. The rivers are governed by speed limits, not wash size. Lightning is 43ft long and leaves very little wake, even at more than 6 miles per hour. On the other hand, we were tossed all over the place by what is supposed to be a low wash Hull. To try to govern the speed of an individual design by the size of its wash is just not feasible. Take it to the max and you might end up banning many designs of boats, purely because of their Hull design. 

• Like 1

In the guidelines it states that a craft should not leave an excessive wake as it causes erosion to the reed bed , damage to nesting birds nests and can damage other moored craft , it’s not about restricting types of hull in any way but like many of the “rules of the river” is down to common sense , ie if you’re leaving a massive wake and causing moored boats to rock excessively then one should slow down .

• Like 3

I agree with CambridgeCabby, there is far too much emphasis put on “over land” speed. I was always told 5mph should not cause enough wash to rock a dinghy. Common sense, followed by a bit of thought for others wouldn’t go  amiss, even if this is just to start with... 

Always check over my shoulder just to make sure we are never putting out a too higher wash, making sure to slow down for moored craft etc. 

That extra 1-2 mph the owner is gaining in the opening post equates to what, a 2-3 minute gain at destination depending on the start point? Its really not worth the noise and extra fuel... 

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 3

I agree, the speed limits were bought in to limit the wash, and in reality its the wash that the rangers keep an eye open for, on a martham boat with no way of gauging your speed other than the wash, i have never yet been pulled up by a ranger for excessive speed, but then those boats do have very little wash, even when flat out. at 3mph (checked by gps) there is barely even a ripple.

hull speed is inversely proportional to the length of the boat, so a longer boat has a greater displacenment speed than a short boat, once you reach your hull speed, then your wash will increase as you are physically shoving the water out of your way (and using more fuel).

• Like 1

This is a fine examples of the problems inherent with "Trial by forum"

In another thread I said that a boatyard had kindly accommodated Nyx when I took my dog to the vet.

I had been moored in Coltishall when I realised that Socs needed the vets visit. I cruised early morning from Coltishall common to Wroxham at pretty much top speed, only slowing for moored boats. Was I breaking the speed limit? Yes! Would I do the same again? Yes!!

The circumstances were such that I believed my actions to be warranted.

Nobody else on the rive was aware of my predicament so I may have been photographed/videoed by law abiding citizens and discussed on … say facebook, where I never go.

We do not, nor cannot know the situation, so if you see a boat speeding, report it to the proper authorities if you like, but leave it at that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2