Retirement

Stranger

29 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I've got just under two years,hope to move to Norfolk. 

I hope that you achieve your wish to move to Norfolk.

I have lived in Norfolk all my life. I have been fortunate  to have been able to travel all over Europe,  Asia,  and Australia.  I could not be bothered  to do the rest.  Sad I know.

It is just that the quality of life in Norfolk has provided all that I held to be important to me and my family. Security, friendships,  the rivers, the coast, the wild life, all within a few miles from where I live. Indeed a few minutes, half an hour at most.

Andrew

• Like 9

Retirement, means the fear of what the young'uns are doing to the future is a shortening time to worry about.

Retirement, is wasted on the old, I wish  I was younger to enjoy it longer.

Retirement, when the place you have worked for give you an alarm clock, when you no longer need to get up early, except for visits to other places.

Retirement, sadly means no holidays, you no longer have anything to take holidays from.

paul

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Retirement, means the fear of what the young'uns are doing to the future is a shortening time to worry about.

Retirement, is wasted on the old, I wish  I was younger to enjoy it longer.

Retirement, when the place you have worked for give you an alarm clock, when you no longer need to get up early, except for visits to other places.

Retirement, sadly means no holidays, you no longer have anything to take holidays from.

paul

Paul. Retirement will give you a whole dimension to life which you have not experienced. Do not criticise that which you do not know. Enter that place of a certain peace of mind, a place devoid of the pressures imposed by others. Pressures which bring forth anxiety. You are able to forget all that. You will be able to concentrate on that which is all important. You and your family.

Retirement means

Another share in Lightning, so 8 weeks a year cruising a magical waterland,

All week to enjoy riding the mighty Speed Twin,

Plenty of time to go fishing,

Not getting up at 6.00am,

Looking for a project boat to tinker with on the front garden, (less than 20ft),

Getting out on a mountain bike to keep the knees working,

And lots more, hopefully in 4 years time?.

• Like 2

I've been where I am now for 15 years and the pension plan is (atm) very reasonable with an already frozen final salary one to keep the cat in food when the time comes.

Thing is Mark (for those that don't know is my hubs) is 9 years older than me, I recon if I'm pretty savvy I can retire when he does lol :default_party0010:

• Like 2

The big 60 for me in December. I have scaled back over the last couple of years, down to 3.5 days a week now.

I always thought i would carry on for another 5 to 7 years as i enjoy running my businesses, until the mega migraines started a couple of years ago.

The tiredness and short term memory are manageable on a shorter week but now i have found i rather like being part time.

The plan for next year is 10 weeks holiday, increasing again the following year.

Fortunately i have excellent staff, most  have been with me for over 25 years.

As the owner I have a responsibility to my staff, who are all late 50s, we are all a bit set in our ways so selling to new owners would be a big shock for them, one I don't want to inflict.

Our joint plan is to carry on with them stepping up a bit more and bring my son onboard, he is currently training as a surveyor whilst working as an estate agent.

I could have retired a few years ago but thought I was immortal :default_biggrin:

I do find the extra long weekends onboard each month are great for recharging my batteries, my excuse is it is doctors orders.

10 hours ago, hazelgirl said:

I'm with you PaulM 30 years to go at least :default_badday:

11 hours ago, PaulM said:

30 years to go....and counting the days :default_icon_rolleyes:

Dont wish your life away , it will go quick enough.       Make the most of being young.         The time goes so quickly once you retire.   One minute you are 60 and the next approaching 80 years.    

• Like 4

11 hours ago, chameleon said:

can someone explain retirement please?

Speaking personally I am not sure retirement is really the right word, for me it is better described as freedom of choice.

For a number of years now I have had the ability to choose what I do when and with the frequency that suits me and not what fits in with someone else`s requirements, I am now in the position of enjoying  the fruits of my working years I am certainly not retired from life in fact would say I feel more fulfilled now than I ever was as much as I enjoyed the various jobs I had.

I would suggest that we should all make the most of each phase of our life before moving on to the next and use each phase to enhance and provide for our future experiences, life for a mature person should be the same as a fine wine improved with age but drank before it turns to vinegar.

Fred

• Like 5