Just Bought A Hampton Safari, New Member Also. Hello!

Amjams

Thank you for all of your friendly greetings. She's in a marina in Egham in Surrey at the moment. I have a little bit of work to do on her before I set sail. I live in Sussex so ill probably take her down there first. She's covered in tarp at the moment but when she's is uncovered I'll take some pictures and post them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a new one on me, she has hydraulic drive. Powered by a BMC 4 cylinder diesel producing 40 horsepower. I understand the engine dates from the 1960s but looks in very good order. Any comments about these engines in this form of drive will be very interesting to  read

Welcome to the forum, as others have said an excellent choice of boat and I talk from experience as I myself am on my second Hampton Safari which is the much rarer mark 4, and yes mine is hydraulic drive engine in the rear makes it a lot quieter in the main cabin, I would also like to see pictures when you get her uncovered, regards Ted

On 07/08/2019 at 11:15, OldBerkshireBoy said:

:default_welcome:

Was it that very nice one in Brundall, I`m sure it`s a nice one anyway so enjoy. Where are you going to base her.

No, she's in dry dock in Egham at the moment. I'm just getting her ready for dropping her into the Thames and I'm going to sail her south to Littlehampton and then from there to Shoreham. 

On 08/08/2019 at 07:20, FairTmiddlin said:

Sounds like the ibiquitous BMC 1.8 diesel.

Or as most people know it the London Black Cab engine.

Known to do do half a million miles if looked after.

Ahhhh, sounds about right. Do you know anything about the hydraulic drive? I've only had a straight shaft drive before and this does seem somewhat complex

I've been looking through various brokers to see other safaris, to see what they look like in their prime etc. I'm surprised by the price, I don't think I've seen anything under £10,000! I bought mine for considerably less than this, obviously I'm fishing to know whether I got a very good deal 😁

That's not a Hampton Safari.... it's one of many similar craft built on a Classic 27 hull. There is a thread about them on here somewhere but, sadly, I don't have the skills to delve back and link it.

I think yours may well be a more distinctive Summercraft build

• Like 6