The Fisherman's Inn Burgh Castle

Good news that, for quite a while the Fisherman’s Inn has not had particularly good reviews. I hope it can draw in winter trade and boost its reputation ready for next season. With the 24 hour moorings now in their hands, they have a good opportunity. Must say, those fish and chips look good. Even without the tomato sauce!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, twowrights said:

Haddock (class) or cod (muck)?

Twowrights, your comment brought back good memories. Back in the 60's/70's my father ran a restaurant at Oulton Broad. I'm not actually sure that the cod versus haddock issue really was just a matter of taste, more that it was one of custom. Back then holiday weeks were very territorial, one week would be the car workers from Dagenham and another would be the miners from Selby for example. Each area having its seemingly traditional preferences, Londoners, for example, wanted their dog-fish (rock salmon) whilst us good folk in Lowestoft regarded dog-fish as scavenger fish, their diet being pretty revolting thus not fit for the plate. As a restauranter dad had to cater for the various tastes. Another issue was freshness, my brother & I used to line fish for cod out of Lowestoft, what we caught on Sunday would be on the table for Monday lunchtime. One Monday there was a fair ruckus in dad's restaurant as he was accused of serving un-fresh fish! In exasperation he finally announced to his miffed customer 'madam, I can assure you that that fish was swimming in the North Sea this time yesterday' as indeed it had. In other words the lady liked cod best but she was probably accustomed to Icelandic, Grimsby or Hull caught cod that was several to quite a few days days old before it was landed, unlike local longshore fish.  Now, of course,   fish are frozen at sea so its not so much of an issue but back then that was not the case. Each to their own. for me it's cod, for you it's haddock. As for dog-fish (rock and chips), I'd rather go without!

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Without the skin it's hard to tell the difference.....

Haddock tends to be more meaty both in flavour and texture than cod. Really fresh cod tends to melt in the mouth, more so than haddock. I certainly don't dislike haddock but if a fish and chip shop owner tries to fob me off with haddock whilst claiming it's a cod then yes, I would comment. 

1 hour ago, FairTmiddlin said:

An old favourite of mine was a nice piece of whiting. But you never see it anywhere nowadays, just seems to have disappeared from all fish shop menus.

Smoked whiting, 24hr old when smoked, is the food of Escoffier! Whiting is lovely when fresh, especially pout whiting, but it has to be really fresh.  Head off down to Southwold Harbour and the chippy there.

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Haddock tends to be more meaty both in flavour and texture than cod. Really fresh cod tends to melt in the mouth, more so than haddock. I certainly don't dislike haddock but if a fish and chip shop owner tries to fob me off with haddock whilst claiming it's a cod then yes, I would comment. 

The polar opposite for me. Hull, Grimsby and Fleetwood (traditional fishing ports) chippies serve almost exclusively haddock. They serve up the best, and sell the rest to the unsuspecting! :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Each to their own taste though, apart from tomato sauce. 

35 minutes ago, twowrights said:

The polar opposite for me. Hull, Grimsby and Fleetwood (traditional fishing ports) chippies serve almost exclusively haddock. They serve up the best, and sell the rest to the unsuspecting! :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Each to their own taste though, apart from tomato sauce. 

Lowestoft was always a near water/longshore port which gave us the edge! Mind you, unless I catch it myself I now tend to head off to nearby Southwold for prime fish, Lowestoft is unfortunately a shadow of the fishing port that it once was.  For tomato sauce I head for Lidl!

• ModeratorTeam changed the title to The Fisherman's Inn Burgh Castle

Just catching up with this. Popped into the Fisherman's back in May. I'm assuming it must be the same management. I chatted to the new landlord and was extremely impressed with his approach. There was just one beer on, Timothy Taylors Landlord. It was superb and I complimented the guy on it. Much better to have one well kept beer on then 5 or 6 poorly kept ones. I hope they do well and can keep the punters coming in during the winter. 

• Like 3