Well Done Lewis

Chelsea14Ian

17 minutes ago, Polly said:

As long as her name is not Emma....

I think the honour should be given, maybe when he ‘retires’ and is able to do more for youngsters...?

A nice thought but I reckon he will probably still be jetting round the world berating all and sundry for doing nothing about climate change! All the same, well done Lewis. Still young enough to smash Schumacher’s record. 

11 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I think they still worry that any future wife he has would be called Lady Hamilton

8 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I think it's the pit crew that has done so much to inspire the youths in Essex, have you seen how fast they can remove all four wheels from a car?

Have you been at the bar again John, or has Howard drunk it dry? 😂😂😂😂😂

Seriously though, I watched his first season (Rookie) and thought there was something fishy about the fact he only needed 8 points from his last 2 races, yet didn't finish either of them?, can't have a complete rookie winning the F1 title and shaming all the big stars now can we?. 

Don't you just love a scynic with a conspiracy theory?. 

I believe Lewis will go on to win Seven.Paul you are correct he does not the credit he deserves. All said and done it is one of the greatest achievements in sport. Some will say it's the car in an age of high tech.Thats true yes,but theres been many races where he beat better cars when he's car was not performing as well.If you turn the clock back MS,help start the development of the car then Lewis went to the team and carried on to continue development. Like many I was very sad to see England lose to South Africa in the World  Cup, but was cheered to see Lewis get the Sixth WC.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Seriously though, I watched his first season (Rookie) and thought there was something fishy about the fact he only needed 8 points from his last 2 races, yet didn't finish either of them?, can't have a complete rookie winning the F1 title and shaming all the big stars now can we?. 

Don't you just love a scynic with a conspiracy theory?. 

10 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Today in the mail

10 pages dedicated to a bunch of Japan losers!

2 pages dedicated to a 6 times world champion!

Of course the world Champion is not a posh boy.

This country would rather celebrate second rate posh boys than a winner.

paul

I hate to say it in this day and age, but I don't think it's anything to do with either how posh he isn't, nor his rookie status. I think those early days were more … shall I say coloured by opinion and of course the pit team can have quite a lot of control over a car as well as following team orders.

Could it be that ZimbiIV's post is a result of the same thinking?

I really hope the lack thus far of any gongs is not a further symptom, though I think not. 

• Like 1

Also he hasn't retired yet... People tend to get awarded the knighthoods etc when they're in their final season and winding their career down.

Lewis said he wouldn't carry on to match Schumi's record, but now he's one championship away from matching (and two from being all-time greatest) you can be sure his mindset has changed.

• Like 1

It would have been ineresting had his career been in other than Mercedes  - and Mclaren during their 'cheating' period. That would have been a better measure of his 'true' excellence.The happy coincidence of being talented and having the "right" car at the time that others have the "wrong" car is a constant in F1.
See Schumacher in the years after his move to Ferrari when he didn't win a championship between 1996 and 1999. He was the same driver but the car was not up to the mark.
Then he raced for Mercedes 2010 -2112 with his best result a third place.

Schumacher, the biggest cheat of them all, won one championship by deliberately ramming his nearest threat (Damon Hill) off track because he himself crashed because he could'nt keep Damon behind him, raced a whole season with active traction control and won when it was outlawed, and the FIA knew about it, haked into the start lights so the launch control was activated the split second the lights went out, again when launch control was banned, and then insisted his team mate was'nt allowed to win races when he crashed and missed several races due to his outlawed traction control system malfunctioning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure Lewis' lack of recognition is so much to do with his humble upbringings than his success. It is hard wired into the British psyche not to like a winner. We like losers, we like silver medal because it gives us the chance to moan about how we "was hard done to" or what a heroic effort we made. Winners deprive us of that luxury.

Recognition of sports stars is still very much influenced by the BBC despite the fact that as a sports broadcaster it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot, but it does still show a bit of tennis and shed loads of athletics and it is no surprise therefore that these sports tend to see the greatest recognition at Buck House or No. 10 when gongs are being chucked around.

Formula 1, because of the way it's sporting and technical regulations are written is mired with controversy. Every season there are rumours that something illegal is being used by this team or that. Remember Vettel's all conquering Red Bull which was using a split rear diffuser that wasn't actually legal but not quite illegal. Ferrari with the aforementioned traction control that wasn't quite traction control, even Jenson Button's all conquering Brawn with it's blown diffuser. The Mclaren with a driver controlled aerodynamic deflector? Now we have the issue with Ferrari's deliberately leaky intercooler which allows small amounts of vapourised oil to leak into the fuel system under certain circumstances to supercharge the fuel and increase power output. 

People look at this and call it cheating, but technically it is not, because at the time these devices were introduced the regulations did not prohibit them. Usually after a season or two the rules are re-written to prevent their use and the team involved will look for (or usually already have) some other innovation to provide or maintain an advantage. 

This can happen because the Formula 1 rule book is missing a clause written in to most other sports along the lines of "Anything not permitted by these regulations is not permitted". It sounds like double dutch but it is hugely relevant. It means that if the rules don't say that you can do something, then you cannot do it. Such a rule would have prevented all of the above "innovations" and give us a much more competitive formula. The governing body has tried to introduce such a rule on numerous occasions right back to the 1970s but because such a change requires the agreement of all teams it has never been able to. The ability to research these advantageous, and very expensive gadgets along with the buying power to employ the top aerodynamicists  is what keeps the richest teams at the front, and they are never going to agree to a rule change which removes this advantage. 

What will happen next year? It's hard to say. It is likely that Ferrari's oil charging system will be outlawed so they will be looking for another way of bridging the gap to Mercedes who have a superior chassis and aerodynamic package. If they can find one then Leclerc will be a real challenger. Right now he is the only driver on the grid with the ability to challenge Hamilton's dominance.

• Like 4