Keeping Warm Winter Boating

Timbo

An early Christmas present from Ellie, modelled here by Toby who is wondering if it will be his replacement? But ideal for winter boating!

The 'LONG' hot water bottle! Ideal for warming the boat bunk, slipping in between my back and the bulkhead for when the beagles nick the duvet!
20191104_062313.jpg

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Timbo said:

An early Christmas present from Ellie, modelled here by Toby who is wondering if it will be his replacement? But ideal for winter boating!

The 'LONG' hot water bottle! Ideal for warming the boat bunk, slipping in between my back and the bulkhead for when the beagles nick the duvet!
20191104_062313.jpg

I hope you have a long kettle to fill it with

Bit short on details! Where, what? Also, lamentably too late for our first autumn/winter break on Moonlight Shadow (next week!). Our first experience on the boat was one of the hottest weeks of the summer, so next week will be a bit of a contrast! Warmth...where?

I have an eberspacher outlet either side of the V berth in the bow and a couple of spare lengths of ducting that can be connected and snaked through the berth under the duvet, when the last beer is bought simply phone the heating system and it will come on and leave a toasty boat and bed to return too, once you get into a warm bed you stay warm all night.

Even the dog is happy as the ducting passes behind and under the dinette where her bed is. :55c8f94984577_default_AnimatedGifDogs(127):

Simples.....

45 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Bit short on details! Where, what? Also, lamentably too late for our first autumn/winter break on Moonlight Shadow (next week!). Our first experience on the boat was one of the hottest weeks of the summer, so next week will be a bit of a contrast! Warmth...where?

Its very mild at the moment Helen! No problem. If in doubt use double duvets. Keeps you warm even in the coldest weather. I'm assuming MS has a decent heating system?

Did you mention that you are out in February too? :default_icon_e_biggrin: 

• Like 1

Yep...out in February too!

When we first got a mini tour around Moonlight Shadow, on a very chilly May morning on the Norwich Yacht Station moorings a few years ago (thanks Sue!), we were very impressed with how toasty she was.

We’ve probably completely over planned our winter trips. Graham has even bought a small generator from Aldi, just in case we don’t have access to shore power.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Graham has even bought a small generator from Aldi, just in case we don’t have access to shore power.

Now is the winter of my discotheque. What kind of dystopian hell have I stumbled into? Chill and dark modernity, black mirrored reflections of the honeyed halcyon of voyages past where YnysMon, her knight errant, kith and kin didst rough it and sail through Norfolk's gilded waters? :default_norty: 

Long hot water bottles available from Brown's of York priced at £19.99 and do wonders for my back ache! :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Yep...out in February too!

When we first got a mini tour around Moonlight Shadow, on a very chilly May morning on the Norwich Yacht Station moorings a few years ago (thanks Sue!), we were very impressed with how toasty she was.

We’ve probably completely over planned our winter trips. Graham has even bought a small generator from Aldi, just in case we don’t have access to shore power.

Sounds like the heating system is well up to scratch :91_thumbsup:

In all the years going out in December and February we've never plugged in once. You'll be absolutely fine :default_biggrin:

10 hours ago, YnysMon said:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7967380

looks like you can get something like it at Argos

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Warmies-Extra-Bottle-Nordic-Snowflake/dp/B01M984OCW

or Amazon

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

. . . . . . If in doubt use double duvets. Keeps you warm even in the coldest weather. . . . . . . .

Unless Jason has thinned out the number of duvets on MS, there should be plenty to have an extra one on the bed, should you need it.  It’s a bit of a shock to the system when you have to get up and the boat is cold, though.

. . . . . . . . . I'm assuming MS has a decent heating system? . . . . . . .

It is now it’s finally working properly, having finally been repaired by Webasto engineers.

. . . . . . . Did you mention that you are out in February too? :default_icon_e_biggrin: 

Our first trips out on MS were in November (for what was effectively a long weekend) and February.  Because of the issues with the heating at the time, we’d taken a small ceramic fan heater and looked for moorings where we had shore power.  We certainly needed it, as we woke to frost on the Sunday morning and were iced in at Oulton Broad later in the week.  
That said, seeing the Broads in a different season was certainly worthwhile.  There is something about the winter light that is very special.

5E875464-5965-4D2B-A658-3A68C60279BB.jpeg

F35755D5-E822-44F2-B43C-D9BF87B1D0C6.jpeg

08BDEE93-B204-4CFF-9635-49DB9F8284C7.jpeg

• Like 10

That last one’s a cracking picture Mouldy, worth enlarging and putting into a frame on to a wall. 
As for duvets in colder weather, if you can stretch to it Helen, goose down is the answer. I can’t abide heavy bedclothes but I do like to be warm. We have 9 tog goose down on the boat for those cold months and I find I get too warm even then. Down tends to nestle round you much better than synthetic filling and, if you still need extra, a lightweight fleece blanket can provide that. 

• Like 4

That's interesting, I've always maintained a good heating system is key. Looks like the Webasto is fine now. I've said before, Swancraft heating was brilliant and no issues with Bridgecraft either. Good to hear about the duvets too. When I wake up in the morning I nip out of bed, flick the heating on and put the kettle on too. Back under the duvets and by the time the kettle's boiled the boat is starting to warm up. On a well maintained boat there shouldn't be a need to start the engine. Snug as a bug :default_biggrin: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

That's interesting, I've always maintained a good heating system is key. Looks like the Webasto is fine now. I've said before, Swancraft heating was brilliant and no issues with Bridgecraft either. Good to hear about the duvets too. When I wake up in the morning I nip out of bed, flick the heating on and put the kettle on too. Back under the duvets and by the time the kettle's boiled the boat is starting to warm up. On a well maintained boat there shouldn't be a need to start the engine. Snug as a bug :default_biggrin: 

That’s the way we go too, well my better half flicks the switch and makes the tea! 😁

• Like 1

Simple physics- put more heat in that escapes through the many vents and gaps on a boat!

We used to take some easy peel decorating tape to plug the gaps around the canopy when we had a share in Evening Shadow. Bit of a pain to lower the canopy mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Unless Jason

Ahem Mr Mouldy :40_rage:

:default_eusa_naughty:

has thinned out the number of duvets on MS, there should be plenty to have an extra one on the bed, should you need it.

Nope. It has had a thorough scrub throughout whilst aboard to continue on your hard work, shower and bathroom curtains swapped (curtains, cushion covers etc to be freshly laundered during my Christmas/New Year travels), accumulated "stuff" sorted and moved but all duvets are still on board and the heating working perfectly once again now ready to keep everyone warm

11 hours ago, YnysMon said:

You'll not need a generator Hells Bells, with or without shore power the heating is now kicking out nicely.......(oh God I've just tempted fate haven't I, take the generator for heavens sake :default_norty:)

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

That last one’s a cracking picture Mouldy, worth enlarging and putting into a frame on to a wall. 

Why thank you for you kind comment and without wishing to blow one’s own trumpet, I did and I have!😉

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

. . . . .As for duvets in colder weather, if you can stretch to it Helen, goose down is the answer. . . . . . . .

We bought a fleecey mattress topper from that well known purveyor of stuff to keep you warm in winter, Aldi.  That seems to help, too!

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

. . . . . . . . When I wake up in the morning I nip out of bed, flick the heating on and put the kettle on too. Back under the duvets and by the time the kettle's boiled the boat is starting to warm up. . . . . . . . . 

And that is my intention, but the dog usually jumps into the space I vacated and snuggles down next to the wife, leaving no room for me!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

When on shore power we use a 600 watt oil filled radiator (set on low) on overnight in the galley, this keeps condensation at bay and keeps the boat aired.

Regards

Alan

Likewise, lovely background warmth. For the last 10 years we have had the radiator on very low all winter. Keeps any soft furnishings free from nasties. Doesn’t cost very much either. 

• Like 1