To Vaughan

Vaughan,

I apologise for my flippant remarks earlier.

I live in rural Northumberland and we have given up trying to explain to people when on our boat, about where we live.

He (Cummins) could have gone is No Such Place, it does exist, also known as Cooperative Villas. It is about the same distance and the press would have had a field day with that name.

Norfolk does not have the sole right to funny place names.

I have visited 3 places in France and could not place them on a map within 200 miles.

paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No problem old chap, but thanks very much for saying so.  I set myself up for whatever was coming, by joining that discussion in the first place!  :default_gbxhmm:   Still, it gave us all a chance to let off a bit of steam about such an astounding subject.

9 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Norfolk does not have the sole right to funny place names.

When we used to live in Chateau-Thierry, in France, there was a village nearby called RUDENOISE.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I must have come to see you play outside the Chequers in Loose on a number of Boxing Days

I also remember a radio dj once giving a 'shout out to the Loose Womens Institute!

For anyone not familiar with the place its actually pronounced - lieu - s

• Like 1

Must have gone up market since I left then - always pronounced as it sounds back then!!! Loose as in rattles - must be more poncy these days if they have changed the pronunciation!!!

Bit like Clay and Cley up here - my old granddad would turn in his grave if he only knew how they now pronounce that nowadays!!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

The area has a bowling club, I always misread it. Loose Bowls Club.

I grew up on the Loose Road, the pub opposite the Bowling club is the Swan, and was my local for years run by George and Ann, they were great characters, my grandparents lived in the village, never heard it referred to as Loose

Anyway however you pronounce it, the village is beautiful I spent many hours as a child playing in the stream and valley

The actual village in the valley is beautiful, and very unique in the area. The stream runs under some properties, it is a nightmare for a surveyor :default_biggrin:.

A lot of building work has gone on on the Loose road lately. The old pub on the corner before you go down into the valley part has been built on as housing.

The valley area is unchanged.

I have heard it pronounced, lieu - s, but generally it has been corrupted by lazy english.

I often have a chuckle when councils and developers build on land and then have a go at 'cleaning up' the local name for example...

There is a lane in the village of Fishlake that runs between Trundle Lane, Fishlake Nab and Main Street that for hundreds of years was called 'Sh***y Lane'. Of course, now it has a few modern 'dwellings' on it, the street sign reads  'Dirty Lane'.

• Haha 2

I often get distracted on Google Earth when I see an old railway and find myself searching out old stations (or swing bridges on the Broads). Usually a good pointer is a "station road". When following the old line from Malvern to Upton on Severn, Worcs, where you would expect to find station road there is M*nge Lane.:default_coat: