Grendels Deferred May Broads Holiday

grendel

when it comes to quiet, I have to say that despite being past the path that leads across to the mill, everyone and his neighbour seems to walk to the end of the mooring, find it leads nowhere, and then turn and go back, I have even had for a short while father and son set up to fish from the remaining 10' of bank before the little stream goes to join the other part of the river. there are now about 5 fishermen set up along the bank. but I have settled down with a good book and am enjoying a day of pure relaxation.

• Like 5

nothing that posh, it will be a plain steak with some (instant) mash, the steak itself is huge, its a rump steak and i was given a choice of half or 1/3 of the entire rump, 1" thick, i went for 1/3 as that was plenty big enough, much bigger wouldnt have fitted in the frying pan (the biggest cooking pot onboard)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

A good glass of Malbec always goes down well as well. 

A good steak deserves something from the Rhone Valley. Chateauneuf du Pape will always be good, or something with some "body" to it, from the Cotes de Nuits. A Vosne Romanée or a Gevrèy Chambertin.

If you can stand a teaspoon up in it, it will go well with a steak!  :default_winko:

• Like 2

so to update you on this quiet end of coltishall locks moorings, about 4pm a boat turned up, enquired of the fishermen lining the moorings where they should moor and were pointed toward the opposite bank, just down from me.

bloomin cheeky of the fisherman to start with. but since mooring up, at 5pm just as i started cooking my steak they fired the engines up, this carried on for about 45 minutes, now, 6.30pm, yes they have fired them up again, what on earth for, they cant have flattened the battery that quick, they surely have enough hot water for all of them to have a quick shower (or shower under way) still the last of the fishermen gave up 30 minutes ago and packed up and went, now i have a choice, do i use the shower or just open the roof hatch and use the rain.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

i have found one unusual feature on jayne, she has a 20 foot drive shaft operating the rudder, it is chain driven from the steering wheel, then runs off to one side all the way down the boat to a steering box, probably out of a car i guess

38 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I think I'd have adjourned to the Recruiting Sergeant :default_beerchug:

But this engine running lark is a pain in the proverbial. I'm not sure what the solution is. 

I agree. What makes it worse very often is people add unneeded revs as well, increasing the noise level. I guess technology needs to move on to the point where people don't need diesel to heat water. The environment needs that too.

• Like 1

Chain front with the long rod to a steering box rear is the pretty standard Martham set up. Mostly maintenance free as well though occasionally a tight steering was found to be the bulkhead swelling slightly and nipping the shaft where it passed through!

• Thanks 1

Years ago boats all had gas water heaters.

instant hot water and no need for running engines.

Then health and safety came along.

Plus of course theses days boats have no end of electrical items on board which of course drain the batteries.

240v inverters in particular 

3 hours ago, grendel said:

actually thinking on it, it may be a tractor steering box

The favourite one usually came from a Land Rover.

This was a common method of steering in the 50s and was very useful, as the wheel always stays wherever you have put it, including when going astern.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Or a lorry component, purely based on a comment from a friend who is sadly no longer with us but did do a stint at martham many years ago on the engineering side in the early days. Sounds like you’re having a nice time!

loving it, sometimes its nice to get my nose into those parts of a boat you dont normally see, just to see how it works.