Grendels Deferred May Broads Holiday

grendel

1 hour ago, grendel said:

well I have cruised round from womak and am currently moored up at Potter Heigham, only just over about 5'10" showing on the boards, I am just about to phone up the yard for a bridge passage, hopefully sometime in the next half hour. this should be interesting, I am pretty certain we will get through.,

but i am not sure many others will

Martham staff are well known for their submariner qualities. 

well I am through, and now have moored up at the hickling broad end of deep dyke moorings, right where i can watch all the boats coming down hickling broad, and those headed up to hickling, its rather warm today, and i have had to put the sunblock on already

• Like 3

As someone who can no longer visit the broads I do find Grendel's reports so interesting. Thank you very much.

I am thoroughly enjoying it too, and I was on the Broads early this month. You can never get too much of a good thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

its been an interesting afternoon, where i am positioned I seem to be at the end of the firsh short tack after leaving the expanse of Hickling broad, yet nobody has complained, I have chatted to many of the sailors, one I had a good 10 minute chat with as he had run out of wind just next to me, I had my camera out with the big lens getting wildfowl photographs (no, i am not silly enough to say I have been photographing birds), mostly swans, I had Janet 3 moor up just in front of me (they take her back in the morning, at least i have another day in this haven above the bridge) did anyone see me go through the bridge this morning,( i did try and post a half hour warning), they took me through at about 5'10" and there were still inches to spare it seemed to me.

well its been a great day moored up, but I think I have found mosquito central at this location, I think they have eaten me alive last night, all can remember from last night is the high pitched whine and slapping myself in the face several times, and I have woken up with several new bites. still the view is glorious, and peaceful.

• Like 1

its at this point i must make an apology, and touch on a design issue with Jayne. Jayne has an outside privvy, you exit into the rear well, then re-enter the wc and shower from there. this is necessitate by the engine position, the shower is the other side of the engine to the galley.

with the canopy up its not so bad, its sort of inside, but the canopy has big clear panels, luckily when using the shower they steam up a bit, but if i can still just about see out, i am sure the reverse is true. thus i leve my shower until after sunset, once all good hire cruisers are moored up.

imagine therefore the scene, as i emerge from the shower wearing just a towel (that only just goes round my waist, just as a late night group of paddleboarders appears around the corner,  do i stay in the steamed up canopy, or do i high tail it into the cabin, unfortunately, i had drawn the curtains on the shoreside windows, but not the water side, so the cabin (where the windows had not steamed up, wasnt really an option. the shower was still emptying (there is a sort of bilge pump on it that runs fro a few seconds, then waits while some catch container refills then pumps again, so retreating back into the shower wasnt an option, so my apologies to anyone reading this who was in that paddle boarding session for my appearance wearing just a towel, it really wasnt deliberate.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

so come 8.30 and its time to get under way, after casting off, its off up hickling towards the pleasure boat, when I get there, there is a saily reversing out of the dyke, so I spin around and reverse my direction heading back down hickling broad, at the yellow post I hang a right and have a lovely slow meander down catfield dyke to catfield staithe, time for a comfort break and a coffee, so I moor up, being the only one on the mooring. I turned before mooring to make exiting easier, much bigger than a 30 foot boat and you will need to be turning on the ropes and careful at that. still its a lovely sheltered staithe, and shielded from the sun, which is already hot, by some willows. If I had done more than 1 hours cruising I might have considered this spot for overnight, but no, I want to get another few hours cruising in.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, grendel said:

well its been a great day moored up, but I think I have found mosquito central at this location, I think they have eaten me alive last night, all can remember from last night is the high pitched whine and slapping myself in the face several times, and I have woken up with several new bites. still the view is glorious, and peaceful.

You need to get yourself some Avon Skin So Soft dry oil. Never venture north of ‘the bridge’ without it! I first came across it when researching what to use to repell midges before a visit to Scotland. I think it’s got citronella in it. I’m normally the person in our family that mozzies home in on, whilst ignoring the rest of the family, and the Skin So Soft stuff certainly works for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, I wont be, tonight is the last night so handing back over in the morning, so I am in Candle dyke on one of the key headings, under the shade of an oak tree, only 10 minutes run from the yard in the morning, the rest of today will be spent slowly cleaning and packing.

today after leaving catfield staithe, I cruised down hickling, saw that someone had already nabbed white slea, and did a left down meadow dyke to horsey mere, did a circuit around that, then came back, no white slea still occupied, so I headed down river and have moored up in this shady spot, there is 1 post here, and I have a stern line around that, and let the boat decide which way around she wanted to lie with tide and wind.

• Like 3