Day Boat Hire And The Disease

WasJono

Hello folks

Watched "New name Same me" video yesterday regarding "A windy day at Potter Heigham" and it was interesting that an electric dayboat returned to said company by the bridge and was assisted in by one of staff. A few minutes later another family boarded without the boat getting so much as a quick wipe down!

I hope more care is being taken with the holiday cruisers at other yards.

Take care out there.

J

We had a picnic boat out for a day last week above Potter Heigham.

Because we knew these boats are going out daily and sometimes twice a day we took our own sanitisers: Dettol spray and Dettol wipes plus a bottle of alcohol sanitiser.

As I am considered high risk I was wearing surgical gloves (all the trip) and a mask until we were underway.

I sprayed or wiped all handles, steering controls and hard surfaces and insisted everybody use the hand sanitiser as soon as we boarded and before eating and drinking or after using the toilet, in addition to them washing their hands.

All Woods, Martham and Martham Ferry and Whispering Reeds picnic boats were out.

• Like 1

We visited Wroxham a couple of times recently and saw the same thing there, queues for dayboats (in fact queues for everything in Wroxham) and one party off and the next straight on. 

I can vouch for the cleaning at Pacific in Loddon. Not only is everything being wiped down and sanitised the whole boat is being fogged with an anti bac / anti viral fog machine. 

• Like 2

I wonder how often they are sanitising buses and trains between stops? Are they sanitising outside tables at pubs between customers? Are they sanitising play equipment i in parks between each usage?  

I know you will all shout me down but I would suggest if you worry that much, you don't actually go out and use these items. These are by and large outside items and whilst I agree a day boat is often partially enclosed, I would rather use a day boat, than sit next to someone on a flight which many people are doing!!! Unquestionably washing your hands remains the best safeguard!

• Like 6

A few weeks back we were at the Nicholas Everitt Park on the shores of Oulton Broad looking for a bench to eat our takeaway fish and chips. As we were passing the Park Cafe I noticed a couple of young ladies doing a really good job of sanitising an outside table they had cleared and also sanitising the chairs. It looked like they were doing a thorough job of it. Although I really enjoyed the fish and chips I had from the Mermaid Fish Bar, I was slightly regretful that we hadn’t supported them. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, marshman said:

I wonder how often they are sanitising buses and trains between stops? Are they sanitising outside tables at pubs between customers? Are they sanitising play equipment i in parks between each usage?  

I know you will all shout me down but I would suggest if you worry that much, you don't actually go out and use these items. These are by and large outside items and whilst I agree a day boat is often partially enclosed, I would rather use a day boat, than sit next to someone on a flight which many people are doing!!! Unquestionably washing your hands remains the best safeguard!

Totally agree. 
Our briefings at work state that outside exposure risks are very low. Ultraviolet and atmospheric conditions really hurt the virus as with most other. There simply was no spikes after the mass meetings and beach sunbathing. 
However enclosed gatherings are highly infectious as again, with other infectious diseases. 
so as we humans retreat from the cold expect the infection rate to increase 

• Like 2

Yes I agree with that - its all about being realistic. The more we test the more we will find but throwing caution to the winds, I have to say it has been some time since I have felt "threatened" of late. I agree it will probably be different when we all go back indoors!

• Like 1

Once my two go back to School I shan’t be seeing my parents/ in-laws at all for their protection. Part of a bigger bubble then, just hope the rest of the parents do the s@me... not always practical... and not holding my breath though! Except in the supermarket under my mask.

• Like 4

Have seen very few school kids in shops in the past 5 months fortunately, mine haven’t been. The precautions schools are taking based on my children’s school is extensive; school will be miserable for them compared to what they knew before. I agree with JBLs sentiment and believe this is a man made virus and blame it for the events of the past 5 months. As the nights draw in very sad times and a long winter ahead.

• Like 1

As far as I’m concerned this ‘man made virus’ thing is just a conspiracy theory. There have been plenty of viruses and other diseases that have swept the world previously, including the bubonic plague in medieval times and the so called Spanish flu toward the end of WW1, also the SARS virus not that long ago.

• Like 6

Man made or not it seems we’ve not advanced much since medieval, WW1 or recent SARS times in terms of how to deal with a virus, locally at least. The scientists are struggling to convince me that they can solve the problem, surely out of the thousands out there one of them could, the lack of investment in research can’t be blamed I don’t think, the problem is world wide after all and there’s a big bonus waiting for the one who comes up with the solution!

Time to research is as important as finance.

Every day they are learning more about how it transmits and mutates.

It seems the virus in Europe and America is more infectious but less leathal, the next mutation could do what the "Spanish" flu did and become harmless and die out naturally or go the other way. Scientists will unfortunately be at least one step behind the virus.

• Like 1

It's interesting that though the infection rate has started to go up from the 700's to around 1,000 daily, the death toll has remained either in single or low double figures. I can only think of two possible explanations for that, as you would expect the death rate to rise relative to infections. Firstly, the better testing is finding more cases that were always out there, but we didn't look (test) enough to find them. Secondly,  we are finding ways of treating patients more successfully. More people are not succumbing to the disease. Reasons to be optimistic.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Secondly,  we are finding ways of treating patients more successfully. More people are not succumbing to the disease. Reasons to be optimistic.

I think you’ve probably nailed it there David. Medics are learning, and hopefully sharing experience on how best to treat it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, YnysMon said:

A few weeks back we were at the Nicholas Everitt Park on the shores of Oulton Broad looking for a bench to eat our takeaway fish and chips. As we were passing the Park Cafe I noticed a couple of young ladies doing a really good job of sanitising an outside table they had cleared and also sanitising the chairs. It looked like they were doing a thorough job of it. Although I really enjoyed the fish and chips I had from the Mermaid Fish Bar, I was slightly regretful that we hadn’t supported them. 

Chris and I also had fish & chips and ate in the park but we were drawn to the cafe for a drink and  buttered scone. The staff were excellent in seating customers and cleaning the tables and seating before walking back to the boat moored at the Yacht Station to view the wooden boats as they arrived on the Thursday afternoon.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

It's interesting that though the infection rate has started to go up from the 700's to around 1,000 daily, the death toll has remained either in single or low double figures. I can only think of two possible explanations for that, as you would expect the death rate to rise relative to infections. Firstly, the better testing is finding more cases that were always out there, but we didn't look (test) enough to find them. Secondly,  we are finding ways of treating patients more successfully. More people are not succumbing to the disease. Reasons to be optimistic.

Sadly as to often happens with many things these days there are to many theories and not enough hard facts, numbers are just that they may be a guide to trends but actually prove very little, the increase in those tested positive as has been said is probably down to more testing, with the number of deaths there seems to be a major problem in as much as anybody diagnosed has been recorded as dying of the virus nobody has proven how many of those would have died anyway from an existing condition regardless of catching the virus or not.

Fred  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, WasJono said:

Hello folks

Watched "New name Same me" video yesterday regarding "A windy day at Potter Heigham" and it was interesting that an electric dayboat returned to said company by the bridge and was assisted in by one of staff. A few minutes later another family boarded without the boat getting so much as a quick wipe down!

I hope more care is being taken with the holiday cruisers at other yards.

Take care out there.

J

there are products ans systems around that remain active against viral and bacterial contamination for many hours and days and it's possible that this is in use. 

We have been using such a product for years - it's called Steri 7. It uses a reactivation process whereby when moistened it becomes an active product again. It only takes the minute moisture from your fingers to reactivate. It can last for days as a protective coating on surfaces. 

Clearly, there would be no need to wipe down between hirers if using something like this but the issue is more that you might be videoed, youtubed and commented on by watchers if you did nothing between hirers. 

I have no idea what their cleaning regime is; just passing comment on what we use an dthat there are systems available for long-term protection. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Sadly as to often happens with many things these days there are to many theories and not enough hard facts, numbers are just that they may be a guide to trends but actually prove very little, the increase in those tested positive as has been said is probably down to more testing, with the number of deaths there seems to be a major problem in as much as anybody diagnosed has been recorded as dying of the virus nobody has proven how many of those would have died anyway from an existing condition regardless of catching the virus or not.

Fred  

The excess death rate is the only figure to tell a more complete story and that's pretty damning. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

We know that in the first wave there was a 1-2 week lag from symptoms before hospital admissions for serious cases and 3-4 weeks before the very serious cases sadly ended in death. We also know that treatments have improved. So we won't know for a while if this current increase in the infection rate will also lead to an increase in deaths again, but watch for a rise in hospital admissions first. If we don't get it then the situation really is improving.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

The excess death rate is the only figure to tell a more complete story and that's pretty damning. 

It is so difficult to discuss these things without skating on "Party Politics", yet this virus is an issue where there is an inevitable opportunity to score those party political points against the party in power.

Personally I think it is neither appropriate nor constructive to do so. I will not deny that things could have been done better, but I doubt that whichever party was in power, mistakes would have been made. Not necessarily the same mistakes, but mistakes all the same, and that whoever was in opposition, their supporters would try to gain those same political points. 

All newspapers have their bias and will add their spin as indeed will the TV programs. I do not believe either to be trusted to give "the facts, the complete facts and nothing but the facts."

So! What do I believe? Who do I believe?

I  believe any relevant minister or shadow minister to be telling me "how it is" in his (or her) opinion, if I am actually hearing him (or her) directly saying it. I do not necessarily believe it if I hear (or read) "The Prime Minister said blah blah blah" as I cannot tell if that was all he said nor the emphasis he (or she) put on which words.

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

Fred  

Yes, that's where I agree with Andy though I would put it,

The death rate attributed to Covid19 is the only figure to tell a more accurate story of how this pandemic is proceeding. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

It is so difficult to discuss these things without skating on "Party Politics", yet this virus is an issue where there is an inevitable opportunity to score those party political points against the party in power.

Personally I think it is neither appropriate nor constructive to do so. I will not deny that things could have been done better, but I doubt that whichever party was in power, mistakes would have been made. Not necessarily the same mistakes, but mistakes all the same, and that whoever was in opposition, their supporters would try to gain those same political points. 

All newspapers have their bias and will add their spin as indeed will the TV programs. I do not believe either to be trusted to give "the facts, the complete facts and nothing but the facts."

So! What do I believe? Who do I believe?

I  believe any relevant minister or shadow minister to be telling me "how it is" in his (or her) opinion, if I am actually hearing him (or her) directly saying it. I do not necessarily believe it if I hear (or read) "The Prime Minister said blah blah blah" as I cannot tell if that was all he said nor the emphasis he (or she) put on which words.

Yes, that's where I agree with Andy though I would put it,

The death rate attributed to Covid19 is the only figure to tell a more accurate story of how this pandemic is proceeding. 

I am not really trying to get party political. To do so, I would have to suggest that somebody else in power would have done things differently or arguably better; we can hypothesise endlessly with the benefit of hindsight and political slant but for no particular benefit except to "learn" for the future. Curiously, for a supposedly intelligent species. this is something that history should do for us but rarely achieves because of the gross selfishness of many humans who would prefer to work only for themselves rather than the greater good of the people and planet. The production of Palm Oil and the annihilation of Orangutans is a classic example as is the alleged positioning of a Russian opposition leader this week. And that's before we begin to talk about the attitude of many towards the hundreds of refugees crossing the channel in inflatables. It's amazing how quickly  "All Lives Matter" becomes a bigger stick to hit the chanters with.  

The comment is far more about those in charge having been pretty bloody awful at managing an obviously approaching tsunami of problems; the colour of their rosettes has no bearing on the comment which would have been the same had a different colour been in power as the numbers speak for themselves (as does the economic disaster that is following the currently stabilising death figures). It is hard to deny this predicament which has been clearly linked to political decisions made earlier in the year and beyond. I could not support a government of any colour that as an MO such as this one. 

I will end by saying that I wish I could have been supportive of this government throughout this. It would have been great to have gotten a hold on the virus and suppressed it, had negligible numbers of deaths and not entered a deep recession winding up businesses and jobs for millions. But that didn't happen and we are where we are. For all the rhetoric which was, let's face it, pretty radical for a blue government, most has, thus-far, been demonstrated to be electioneering. 

Back to the virus and, conversationally, it does so far appear that it is probably no less communicable but may be less problematic currently as the hospital admissions numbers do not appear to be rising by the kind of numbers that the 1000+ a day cases reported might suggest was likely before. Time will tell but it is clear that we need to keep cleaning surfaces and/or put in layers of protection to halt the transmission. Complacency could be the killer. 

• Like 2

Any gov irrespective of leadership or party can and could only act on the advice given by the experts , and irrespective of party it is highly likely that the same experts would have been called into action .

Also any action taken towards management and containment of the virus is dependant on the population adhering to the rules and regulations laid down which we have all seen to be ignored and abused , as a nation we can have no complaints that so and so should have done this or that when a large percentage of the populous behaved and continue to do so in the irresponsible manner that we have all seen .

Until a “cure” for Covid-19 is found we will all need to continue to follow the very simple original instructions which is minimise any contact and keep at least 1metre distance ,wash hands or sanitise frequently ,avoid hand to face contact and now in addition wear a mask when indoors , not difficult or confusing and it may well save your life and the lives of others 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1