About This Nbn Forum

Andrewcook

8 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

But will the Broads still  be the same in Fifty Years time? 

No, it won't be the same. The broads is not the same now as it was 50 years ago, which in turn was different from what it was fifty years before that. If you were to ask the same question in fifty years time, the answer would still be no, as it ever will be.

8 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

As we all are now in a very challenging times as to the environment  has all been changing things for the good?

That is a harder one to answer... oh.... no it isn't!

Change is change is change.  That is the only thing that will never change. Whether things are better now than they were then? Simple. Some are, some are not.

What you have to ask yourself is, "Is my glass half full or half empty?". When you have answered that to your own satisfaction, you will know if things are, generally speaking, better or worse than the way they were.   

• Like 2

I've been a member for some time now and it's a nice place to be most of the time. The pesky Mods do a great job, we are a friendly bunch most of the time too. I know some members see it only as a Broads forum but there's so much other stuff too. We're able to discuss almost anything with the Broadscot Lounge and other areas, It's a good place to be a member of. Long may it continue 

As for change, things seem to be changing on a daily basis, I don't suppose the Broads is any exception, let's hope it stays as free and beautiful for our future generations

Oh and as for glass half full or half empty, always full :default_biggrin: x

:default_xmas6:

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

How long has Norfolk Broads Forum been going ?

A bit longer than the NBN has! 

Both, like the Broads, have and are changing, perhaps better described as developing, one more than the other.

As for the Broads, also constantly changing and developing, in most respects amicably moving forward, but not always!

Just had a look at my profile and 2008. Asked to join by JillR who had fell out elsewhere, although how anyone could have  upset Jill just shows the tensions in the forums in those days which even resulted in this forum splitting into two.

Fred

I only joined in 2017. Think I must have stumbled across it via Google when we were looking to buy a boat.

This forum has not only been  a huge source of information, but also about making wonderful new friends, those we have met personally and those we have yet to meet,  but still regard as good friends.   One example of many is if we weren’t forum members, wouldn’t have met JanetAnne and therefore wouldn’t have bought Luna without JanetAnne’s advice and encouragement.   We love that boat so much so a massive thank you Dave for all your help. 

I now dont treat it just as a source of info, its just a nice place to come to especially through this tough year.  Fingers crossed the spring meet will go ahead next year.

• Like 4

Your experience totally mirrors mine.  I joined when we first went to the Broads.  As  I wanted information about our new surroundings  I joined another similar forum first but after a short  time found it to be not very nice at all ,not very informative and lots of rather nasty bickering, not at all like this one .

Carole

• Like 4

I would echo what has already been said. We had been to the Broads a few times before I joined as I wanted to contribute my own holiday tales having read lots of content in the open areas. 

The messaging system we have alongside the forums is great and helps even more to forge friendships with those members that you just click with, who have mostly similar views, and seem to be the ones that you count as friends and know you would get on with if you met.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

My own story of forum discovery goes like this.......

....I have been coming to the Broads all my life(I'm 38 for context) in various ways(hire boats, house boats, cottages, parents own boats etc) and in 2015 I bought a boat of my own, she was very much a project and I would often find myself searching for answers to boaty technical questions, bits of Broads history, regulations etc etc. As often as not a Google search of whatever it was would provide a link to a post another Broads forum which many of you will be familiar with(often known as 'elsewhere'). After a while I began to read that forum more widely and discovered a wealth of interesting topics, projects and witty characters....so I joined up and continued to read 'the back catalouge' with interest.

However after a few weeks of this I noticed that the characters whose posts I been enjoying weren't posting anything current and having worked my way through the best of the older stuff my interest began to wane.

Luckily however, after yet another Google search, a post from the NBN came up and I found this place where ,low and behold, many of the characters I had enjoyed were to be found alive and posting(along with many others)!

Since then I have rarely gone more than a day or so without reading the forum and it has been a great source of information and entertainment about not only the Broads and boats but also about life in general. Long may it continue!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I joined in 2015. Not sure how I found it, probably just surfing all things broads!

Iain ( broadscot) quickly befriended me, and others made me welcome. It does have a nice family feel to the place, and I have been offered some touching help and great advice over the years. I have made what I would count as friends on here. 

Alas, nothing stays the same, and for one reason or another I don't post as much. I do still look in , and hopefully will get back in the habit of posting more often. A wealth of knowledge and kindness is certainly in here.

• Like 4
  • Love 1