Interesting Reading…

vanessan

We stopped off some time ago before Covid at one of the pubs mentioned on the North Norfolk Coast and we thought our meal was ok.    Personally I prefer my sandwiches not to be made from doorstep bread but there you go.  1 star is beyond dreadful.    The stools in the pub looked as if someone had knocked them up out of old bits of log.   May be that is the character of the place.

9 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Whilst I applaud the “scores on the doors” hygiene rating system I cannot understand why the displaying of these ratings prominently is not mandatory and a condition of trading . 

I agree, pretty sure we would have given a miss to the one we visited if we had known!

10 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Whilst I applaud the “scores on the doors” hygiene rating system I cannot understand why the displaying of these ratings prominently is not mandatory and a condition of trading . 

It is in Wales and Northern Ireland but only advisory in England. If it isn`t displayed then think the worst and move on is my advice.

• Like 3

If the EDP report an official inspection result that is not naming and shaming!

I have very little time for EDP journalism and certainly do not defend them usually.

We have no more proof the the owner supplied evidence to the contrary than the poster of the comment saying so.

If the inspectors have made a big mistake they will put it right, meanwhile I'm happy to take the experts word for it.

How do you ever make an informed decision if you don't trust official information... may as well just flip a coin.

I'll eat there again happily when a better score is officially sanctioned, lovely staff and service!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vanessan said:

We’re in the process of having our kitchen refitted, so whilst we have no cooking facilities (other than a microwave, kettle and toaster), we’re dependent on a combination of takeaways and microwaveable meals.  That info has persuaded me that one of the three fish and chip shops on the high street nearest to us is one to be avoided.

• Like 2

I had seen the edp article before this thread and was quite disappointed but equally surprised at the Norada rating, it doesn’t seem that long ago that the new owners were gutting the former Broadshaven and all the reports I’d heard on the rhond since were extremely positive, albeit I haven’t had the chance to try it out but do have an invite there to potentially take up in the near future. I’ve looked up the link from the nndc website which does seem to back up the edp report but I’m not a facebooker so may be missing something e.g. if the website is incorrect and the owner has reported as such. If he is in fact running on 4 stars and the food’ site has mispublished then it is them/ nndc that owe an apology to edp who can then reciprocater.

Digressing slightly I’ve enjoyed Chinese at both of the Stalham outlets in years gone by but will continue to bypass Whymond ham or kebab meat.... 

6 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I think I read somewhere that is is mandatory in Wales. So why not England?

If you don't see a hygiene rating at a food outlet,beware, it probably means it is low and they are too ashamed to display it.

If Norada is a 4 rating then he will have been given the official sign to display, so display it.

Edited by Buttle