New Here!

tomm5235

Hi All! looking at purchasing a sailing yacht rather than a motor cruiser... 

have found the one i want but the mooring isnt transferable... does anyone know of somewhere with free moorings? otherwise im stuck and cant buy the boat :( 

also just some info about me. im a volunteer RYA dinghy instructor and spend the majority of my spare time sailing :) 
took part in the 3rr this year and am finally in a position where i can get something on the broads... just proving problematic to find an available spot. 
looking forward to learning lots from you all!

Thanks 

Tom 

Edited by tomm5235
just adding extra info
  • Like 1

Why would you expect free moorings? Someone is providing you with a service, so generally there is a cost!

What size are you after may give some help and where on the system do you want it? Generally yards do not respond readily to phone or email, but you need to get around and ask a few1 That will help and probably produce results.

Welcome by the way!

• Like 1

With a yacht you could try the moorings at Oby Dyke as when ever I pass them there always seem to be some not occupied or Bridge broad marina in Wroxham never looks full so might be some availability. The bridge should not pose a problem with a traditional broads yacht.  

• Like 1

Hunters? Whispering Reeds Hickling? Horning Hall moorings? The moorings at S Walsham Broad? But you will not get a look in unless you go round and see these people and have a natter. This question of moorings comes up a lot and the answer is always the same - do the legwork, have a natter and a chat and you will find a space. Phoning and emails are generally a waste of time, I promise!

P.S. sorry about the misunderstanding on "free"!!!!

• Like 1

I think there are plenty of swinging moorings free on Hickling, contact the Norfolk Wildlife Trust. You’ll just need to find a berth for a tender, Whispering Reeds perhaps or the parish Staithe.

I’m assuming the yacht will pass under Potter of course.

• Like 1

Now there's an interesting situartion. My friends who have bought (old) Nyx, have a yacht for sale. (Pegasus 7) They wou;d like it to move away from Horning sailing club as they would like to moor old Nyx there. This would free up Nyx's current mooring at the Pleasure Boat inn. Perhaps you two should get together!

• Like 1