Richardsons The Best

FairTmiddlin

6 minutes ago, 750XL said:

We struggled to book a boat for October just gone, especially as the choice for a 2 berth is pretty limited at the best of times - plus the staycation surge and all that...

Personally, I love the Broads and I'm willing to go any time of the year but I'm struggling to justify it to the boss (missus) at 2022 prices. In her eyes, "we've done the Broads now" and paying almost a grand for a week of what will probably be very questionable British weather isn't worth it...

Deep down, I probably agree! 

I fail to see how most of these boats will remain affordable to the masses going forward, when you factor in mooring fees, pump outs, water, etc etc

It's all a question of taste, weather is what it is the Broads are what they are if you love them then weather and cost are irelevent, if not then you go wherever your feet take you.

Fred

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyg said:

33 new build in ten years is pretty good going 

With a fleet size of over 300 in that period it would take over 90 years to replace the fleet, so not that impressive. To me it shows that Richardson's strategy is clearly a much smaller fleet. I've just returned from a canal holiday from, admittedly, a much smaller fleet. The boat they are 'retiring' this year is only 9 years old. I think their business model works on selling boats when their residual value is still high which allows regular updating and keeps a modern up-to-date fleet. It helps that boats will be sold into private ownership, so you are not selling to a competitor, which I think would happen on the Broads if you tried that model.

9 hours ago, Dan said:

Early 90s is about right…

There were two older ones from about 83 that were at Bushnells called Gay Goddess (times change!) and these came back to Norfolk and we’re at at horning pleasurecraft and were renamed Trinidad but one burnt out in a night time fire (I have some pics somewhere) leaving just one which then went to horizon craft got many years as distant horizon 1.

When some boats were brought back from France around 2009 ish when bookings surged in the recession and Richardsons’s bought some from le boat they also bought some ex emerald star craft which became the siestas and two Trinidad’s. I quite like that Clive used to reuse names as a nod to the past whilst still looking forward 

The AF32 doesn’t let that well these days, but as they are not that old and a nice fitout for the price bracket I would have thought in these boom times they would live on as I think the booking sheets would be quite healthy at the minute, even probably taking a price lift, but they must not like them for some reason as cavalier lives on with a more basic fitout 

Dan 

Here is the original (there were two) Trinidad... the one that got destroyed 

Look away anyone who might be distressed to see such a stunner reduced to such a poorly state 

Dan

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dan said:

leaving just one which then went to horizon craft got many years as distant horizon 1.

Ah, happy memories. I hired Distant Horizon 1 in 2009 with my two children. It was my first dual steer on the Broads and I've loved them ever since. The boat went to Broads Boating Company briefly and then I saw it this year in private hands.

I think the version at Caversham Boat Services on the Thames may be one of the oldest? It has a different layout with the galley down the side of the saloon. http://www.cavershamboatservices.co.uk/html/count.html

19 minutes ago, Dan said:

Here is the original (there were two) Trinidad... the one that got destroyed 

Look away anyone who might be distressed to see such a stunner reduced to such a poorly state 

Dan

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

What year was this, how did the fire start ?? 

13 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

An awful lot of speculation, maybe as a successful business they are realigning their business model as the company has done many times in the past.

Fred, it may be speculation, but that is David's business, to speculate on future bookings!

The boatyards too, have an awful job in trying to set prices for the following year, in such a seasonal business.  In the old days, once the brochure went to the printers in October, that was it!  You just had to wait and hope you had got it right.  Nowadays, at least you can try and react to a trend by making last minute offers on line.  What worries me, is the temptation to use this ease of adjustment to put prices up, and thus drive people away.

There is also the big problem that customers who booked in advance, may find themselves moored in Ranworth alongside someone else who paid half as much for the same boat, last minute.  It just gives the whole trade a very bad reputation.

15 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Add to that, many people will have tried a boating holiday in the absence of a trip abroad and found it less than attractive due to the mixed weather we had last summer, and the almost universal rush to find a mooring from Spring Bank through to October Half Term.

It has always been very true that the weather doesn't make any difference in a season, as the bookings are almost all made in advance.

It makes an enormous difference in the following year, though.  If you have had a wet and windy week in August, you are unlikely to want to pay to repeat the experience!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Fred, it may be speculation, but that is David's business, to speculate on future bookings!

The boatyards too, have an awful job in trying to set prices for the following year, in such a seasonal business.  In the old days, once the brochure went to the printers in October, that was it!  You just had to wait and hope you had got it right.  Nowadays, at least you can try and react to a trend by making last minute offers on line.  What worries me, is the temptation to use this ease of adjustment to put prices up, and thus drive people away.

There is also the big problem that customers who booked in advance, may find themselves moored in Ranworth alongside someone else who paid half as much for the same boat, last minute.  It just gives the whole trade a very bad reputation.

It has always been very true that the weather doesn't make any difference in a season, as the bookings are almost all made in advance.

It makes an enormous difference in the following year, though.  If you have had a wet and windy week in August, you are unlikely to want to pay to repeat the experience!

Vaughan, my comment was not aimed at bookings as I made clear to David although the selling off of unsold holidays has existed for some years with certain yards.

My observation was in relation to an apparent reduction in the size of the fleet and certain classes in particular what are regarded as stag boats.

Fred

51 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

My observation was in relation to an apparent reduction in the size of the fleet and certain classes in particular what are regarded as stag boats.

I have certainly noticed the large number of stag boats on Richardsons' list. 

The speculation, is whether they are being sold because of their great age, or whether there is a recognised trend away from that "type" of hirer taking that type of holiday.  Personally I would not be so sure about that, since this "type" of hirer has been the bread and butter of the Broads - and Gt Yarmouth :default_gbxhmm: - ever since the last war.

As far as stag parties go, richardsons will hire you any boat, I discovered this on my stag with them. It was around the time broadsman was being introduced into the fleet. Some of my party wanted to upgrade onto one that was sitting in the yard. I told the guys the wouldn't allow them to, how wrong was I. They popped over to reception and were told that would be fine, they just had to as the difference in hire charges. 

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Not sure if we're part of the "trend" for advance booking but we booked for a week in 2022 and a week in 2023 more or less as soon as we returned from our week on the Broads at the beginning of September. Ok, so we had excellent weather during our week afloat and we most probably won't be as lucky again as we've booked a week in October next year and a week in September in 2023. We can only manage one week a year on the Broads so we book a high end boat (Elite range HW) to ensure that we have a decent enough time no matter what the weather chucks at us! I'm hoping that apart from rising fuel costs (can't see it coming down much over the next couple of years), that we will not incur any extra charges prior to the holidays.  If HW do offer any discounts nearer the time for others, it won't bother us as we're happy with the knowledge that we've already secured our holiday afloat.  Roll on September 2022 :default_biggrin:

Chris

Edited by CeePee1952
typo!!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheesey69 said:

Or how does providing private moorings compare to profits made from a hire fleet?

After seeing the number of boatyards converted, I was just wondering if the margins are higher?

I couldn't see a scenario where Richardsons withdrew from the hire boat side of there business, I can see them offloading the budget end of the fleet. Maybe a fleet of a 150 boats all of a mid to high range standard. The platinum fleet at Richardsons is incredibly successful and was before covid struck. This would also be inline with what is happening at there hemsby holiday park. But I'm sure there not going anywhere any time soon. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, andyg said:

I couldn't see a scenario where Richardsons withdrew from the hire boat side of there business, I can see them offloading the budget end of the fleet. Maybe a fleet of a 150 boats all of a mid to high range standard. The platinum fleet at Richardsons is incredibly successful and was before covid struck. This would also be inline with what is happening at there hemsby holiday park. But I'm sure there not going anywhere any time soon. 

As I suggested Realigning their business model, group name Richardsons Leisure Ltd, Clives co. Horning Pleasure Craft Ltd.

Fred

On 03/11/2021 at 05:46, Vaughan said:

As much as you think that discounting gives the trade a bad rep, I am not sure I agree. Holiday discounting is rife. It's the Norm. Just look at the Herbert Woods Model if you want a local example. Further afield, it's commonplace. People expect it and work with it. Lastminute.com made its founders millionaires selling short-notice holidays at discount rates. and that didn't collapse the holiday industry. 

People make a choice and pay their money on EVERYTHING they buy. Book early and lock in a decision without the worry of not getting a booking. Book Late and get a great deal but maybe on a less desirable trip or boat. Everyone is different. It's laudable to have a Fair Price Charter, but I wonder how much it really matters. It will ONLY matter to people who have booked already who might feel aggrieved, but sales of everything take place all the time and that dishwasher you bough 15 days ago might now be on offer with a £50 saving. That's life. We don't have to like it or agree with it, but that's what happens in virtually every market. 

On 03/11/2021 at 08:49, rightsaidfred said:

Vaughan, at one time I would have agreed with you but the noticeable trend in recent years has been towards high end boats for couples and small parties.

Fred  

If I were building a new boat right now for Stags, Etc. I would struggle to find an existing mould tool that would work well. Probably only the Large Funnel Emblem boats would work and probably the new NBD one. I am sure than if an RC45 had been seen as suitable and profitable, there would have been a higher berthing one. 

I would also seriously question its earning potential as it would almost certainly only let for weekends for most of the year whereas a luxury 6 berth in the same form factor would be hugely more popular and generate more revenue. 

Therefore, if you want the stag market, you probably want an older boat that's proven its worth already. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oddfellow said:

Therefore, if you want the stag market, you probably want an older boat that's proven its worth already. 

I noticed there were far fewer stag parties this year which was confirmed by broads beat when I was chatting to them, most of the time those boats had family groups on them, not sure if that was a trend or just a side affect of  covid.

Fred

4 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

Or how does providing private moorings compare to profits made from a hire fleet?

After seeing the number of boatyards converted, I was just wondering if the margins are higher?

No, they are not, but you need a mix, running a fleet is more interesting but you need skilled staff capable of doing the jobs  if you have the right team they will pay for some of the overhead on non turnaround days. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, grendel said:

for just moorings the staffing levels are a lot lower and running costs will just be to maintain the quay headings and facilities, no expensive boats to buy and maintain, probably a lower profit margin, but the income is consistent.

And you get weekends off which reducess the stress levels.

• Like 2

Reading between the lines of the latest interview from Greg munford, I wonder just how much control the family still have over the company and its day to day running. He also confirms more luxury boats are in the pipeline and the Stalham fleet will consist of 207 boats for 2022. It also confirms what I thought and the move away from boats for all budgets and re alignment to more up market smaller fleet. This could be good news for the likes of bridgecraft who offer boats at the lower end of hire tariffs. 

40 minutes ago, andyg said:

Reading between the lines of the latest interview from Greg munford, I wonder just how much control the family still have over the company and its day to day running. He also confirms more luxury boats are in the pipeline and the Stalham fleet will consist of 207 boats for 2022. It also confirms what I thought and the move away from boats for all budgets and re alignment to more up market smaller fleet. This could be good news for the likes of bridgecraft who offer boats at the lower end of hire tariffs. 

But - if our recent hire was typical of them, and I think it was - in good condition and very well turned out.

• Like 1