Waiting For Low Water At Ludham Bridge

Ray

We are changing our home moorings and are currently sitting just upstream of Ludham bridge with fingers crossed for tomorrow morning.

Lowest the marker got was 8'1" today and I'm sure that in the summer we passed under when it read at 8' We are 8'3" but sure enough as I eased up to the bridge my crew shouted that we would not clear.

The small yacht up close behind me did some nifty manouvreing as I waved shouted and went astern. He was under power but why he was that close with no other boats for miles I'm not sure. Anyway we all waved, smiled and thanked each other.. all very British 🙂

Then it started raining, got dark and the dog wanted to go out at the same time. Emergency cans of soup, hot tea, bonios and fresh bowls of water administered as appropriate and here we sit. Snug but suspicious that the rotten dog will want to go out again and that tomorrow's low water will be no better than today's.

On the plus side....   no, I'll have to get back to you on that 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Where are you going, Ray?  Horning, Wroxham or somewhere else.  I think with your airdraft, it’s a wise move tbh.

One things for sure, the river levels were high today.  Cantley moorings had overtopped more than an hour before high water when we passed this morning and it was close to doing the same at The Beauchamp Arms (and I still hate the colour)!  It was high back at base too!!  Stepping down off her bathing platform is not usual there!!

660927EB-EFF7-49D7-BE28-6B85F054DCA4.jpeg

F3ADF44D-C256-4EE8-BC6E-D3A519D5B87D.jpeg

B3C6F615-E62D-4CB0-8CE9-F26FC8D33CB2.jpeg

• Like 3

I've not been up there for a couple of years but last time I got under at 8'2" on the board, I need 8'8", the board may have been changed since but you can walk under both sides with a tape measure and check for yourself, they all look low when you are not sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Looks similar to when we were down in December

I love winter cruising, but tides can be a real challenge for our pooches!!

DSC_0023.JPG

I can well imagine they’d take some drying if they get wet!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Where are you going, Ray?  Horning, Wroxham or somewhere else.  I think with your airdraft, it’s a wise move tbh.

One things for sure, the river levels were high today.  Cantley moorings had overtopped more than an hour before high water when we passed this morning and it was close to doing the same at The Beauchamp Arms (and I still hate the colour)!  It was high back at base too!!  Stepping down off her bathing platform is not usual there!!

660927EB-EFF7-49D7-BE28-6B85F054DCA4.jpeg

F3ADF44D-C256-4EE8-BC6E-D3A519D5B87D.jpeg

B3C6F615-E62D-4CB0-8CE9-F26FC8D33CB2.jpeg

I quite like Blue and white. 

• Haha 1

We had it pretty well worked out after the boards were reset in '21 but although I haven't heard they had been adjusted again it seems the board just in front of the bridge is now accurate (is this a first!) It said 8'1" and we were about 2" too tall.

@ Malcolm we are going to the Waterside marina at Herbert Woods, a good spot on the floating pontoon and we live close enough not to have to worry about the fish barrier.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray said:

Malcolm we are going to the Waterside marina at Herbert Woods, a good spot on the floating pontoon and we live close enough not to have to worry about the fish barrier.

Good shout.  Sutton Staithe is a great yard and Rob seems a decent guy.  We had a look at a boat there before we settled on Norfolk Lady and with its airdraft, Ludham Bridge wouldn’t have been a concern, but the boat needed too much work and Rob had no moorings anyway.  That said, we’re more than happy where we are, but I can understand that the bridge could have been problematic for you, being moored the wrong side, prompting your move.

• Like 1

02:15 that's when the dog decided it could not wait until morning! 🙄

Plus, the holding tank lights just went from green to red without bothering about the yellow in the middle.

Some trips are doomed lol Low Water is about 07:00, if it's still no go then back to base. Nowhere for a pump out this side of the bridge until Tuesday.

BSS inspection arranged for Saturday at Potter, hoping I can rearrange for Sutton. 

Fun... this boating lark isn't it? 😁

• Like 1

It is only just visible, sadly I think it is slightly too tight to safely call. Without the sensible head of my crew I would have probably risked it yesterday and caused some expensive damage... to my wallet and my ears lol

It looks like it's just going to be a case of me being patient.... Not one of my strong points 😁

I like Lulu's idea although I think pints all round was exceedingly generous... I could offer a fruit juice and 10 straws though 😂

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Ray said:

...I could offer a fruit juice and 10 straws though 😂

Which is why you are going back to your mooring :default_biggrin:

A couple of years ago we has a Connoisseur stuck the wrong side of Potter. We put out an appeal on here for any forum members who could be at the bridge at 18.00 and about 20 people turned up. 

All aboard and through we went. Got to meet some forumites as well :default_arms:

• Like 3

Andrew - pressure is just one factor affecting tides!! Last week pressure was high and little wind and it was still high!

You have to remember that the Bure in particular drains a large area of Norfolk, as indeed do the Wensum and the Yare.

In addition big spring tides due this week will cause "blocking" so I don't see the water going anywhere quickly I am afraid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray said:

It looks like it's just going to be a case of me being patient.... Not one of my strong points 😁

I like Lulu's idea although I think pints all round was exceedingly generous... I could offer a fruit juice and 10 straws though 😂

Reminds me of a Broads holiday back in 1987, the Saturday after the hurricane that wasn’t (thanks Mr Fish!!) struck the UK.  After a fairly difficult journey to Wroxham to collect the boat, due to power cuts, fallen trees and diversions, we arrived at Connoisseur to find the yard flooded, duckboards laid to access the boats and pairs of wellies being shared to move the cars to the car park.  We were then moved as family groups onto boats in turn to get them under the bridge, all walking back to the yard and all onto another boat to get that under.  What a performance!!

It was a good holiday, but I had a hell of a job moving my car at the end of the week.  I’d absentmindedly put the handbrake on, having driven through a flood and the brakes had rusted on!!

• Like 3