Barking Dogs

Paws

Griff can you help please we have two 13month old dashounds they bark at everything dogs people I was told by a lady to spray them with water when they bark that doesn’t work they have a collar that makes a noise when they bark it doesn’t work have you any idea s please thanks paws away

Seriously, is there an instigator? By that, I mean,  is it one dog who always starts the barking causing the other to react and join in. If so splitting them and concentrating on the one who kicks off will make the task less daunting.

I always had retrievers/Labs who only gave voice when you would wish them to do so.

Watching the guy on the TV who travels around to help folk with their pooches.     He reckons that it is to get attention and if everytime they start barking you or whoever gets up tight and starts yelling ,   it is 10 points to them as they have got your attention.     What he did with one dog that  had a most peculiar habit of licking the floor until they started to tell it off.  So everytime this dog started to lick at floor door anything actually  (dont go there)  , they walked out of the room and shut the pooch behind it.   When it stopped they went back in.   This is ok if you have forever to dedicate yourself to the problem.  Eventually the pooch got the message that licking just made everyone clear off and his/she was left on its own.

No shouting other than a sharp "norty!" and a slap across the snout (gentle but firm not full on footballer style) got my old dog out his hideous eating habit fairly quickly.

You have to make sure it's associated with the behaviour and doesn't coincide with something else each time or they get the wrong message.

We are looking after our daughter's chihuahua at the moment. She has ears like radar and barks when she hears the doorbell or post being delivered. Nik and I welcome this because we are both becoming slightly deaf and need all the help we can get. 

I have found that the best thing to do if she is naughty is to ignore her until she stops doing whatever she was doing, then praise and pet her. I am no dog expert, but it seems to work.

1614610640756.jpg

• Like 1

We have always used the reward and ignore method with all our dogs , if one of them developed or showed any type of behaviour we did not approve of then we shut them in their cage or as has been said we left the room , if a similar situation arise and they behaved in the manner we wished they were praised and made a fuss of , worked for us with four previous dogs as well as our current two (Border Collies).

• Like 1

I heard somewhere that with a barking problem a dog whisperer would train them by teaching them when they SHOULD bark, rather than trying to train them not to.

Friends of ours had been to dog training classes and used a can (empty coke can) with a few pebbles in, to throw and distract the dog to get it's attention. I thought it was mad and it didn't work all the time, but I thought I would mention it. :default_mellow:

Go on to Youtube and put "dog barking problem" in the search bar. I just did and there are too many to link here, happy viewing!

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

i must say I never had a dog barking problem (well aside from the neighbour that barked back at passing dogs) but cat herding- now that can be a problem.

You have to herd them or they herd you?

We used to have a right gobby moggy that would stand and shout at us, I was convinced it would get us an asbo.

21 hours ago, Smoggy said:

No shouting other than a sharp "norty!" and a slap across the snout (gentle but firm not full on footballer style) got my old dog out his hideous eating habit fairly quickly.

You have to make sure it's associated with the behaviour and doesn't coincide with something else each time or they get the wrong message.

I think I can guess what the dog's hideous eating  habit was,  and it may surprise you to know  it's a dog's way of getting more minerals. A course of a  mineral supplement cures it virtually immediately. We had a number of customers with dogs.  that did this. they would start by asking you if you could give them some advice, look around them to make sure they could not be overheard,  by which time we had guessed what the problem was and  would  say it for them. they were so relieved to learn  it was a known habit,  not that uncommon and had a practical reason.

Carole

Copraphagia is the correct term I believe, I'd understood it as something a bitch will often do after a litter as a clean up thing, winston was no bitch though.

It was his own he'd eat most of the time so I doubt he got any more minerals than he'd just had, I think he started from seeing us clear up after him, he was a very obliging dog just not always in the right way.

• Haha 1