Silverline Announcement

Davydine

Re: Single handed hiring. I'm sure I read somewhere a while ago that the new MAIB-driven guidelines to hireyards require there to be two 'capable' adults (for which read 'fit') on every boat. Kathy spotted it and commented "Well that disqualifies us with one good leg between us!"

13 minutes ago, stumpy said:

Re: Single handed hiring. I'm sure I read somewhere a while ago that the new MAIB-driven guidelines to hireyards require there to be two 'capable' adults (for which read 'fit') on every boat. Kathy spotted it and commented "Well that disqualifies us with one good leg between us!"

It is my understanding that the MAIB can make recommendations but do not have the authority to enforce their guidelines. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, petersjoy said:

Hi Rod, You'll be welcome at the yacht station, there was a complete change of staff this year and very helpful. :default_norty:

The kit at Norwich did suffer a breakdown last summer but good when its working but very expensive to replace Some yards have to have the product tankered away adding to the cost by the way. Yards that are not busy all day doing pump outs do find it disruptive someone having to break away to do the odd one - no doubt why DIY seems the trend?

Biggest problem with both toilet on boat & pump kit is the usual suspects of wrong items being put into the system

8 minutes ago, Wussername said:

It is my understanding that the MAIB can make recommendations but do not have the authority to enforce their guidelines. 

MIAB like their Railway equivalent get most unhappy if recommendations ( which are accepted by all involved prior to publication  hence some of the time lag ) are ignored & something similar happens again & sure Insurance Companies would not be impressed either

32 minutes ago, stumpy said:

When you book through Hoseasons their Ts & Cs state that the party must contain at least 2 adults over the age of 18. You also have to tick Yes or No whether any of the party have mobility issues.

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I remember that too. Weren’t there one or two of our forum members who got their holidays cancelled out of the blue? I also seem to recall that Richardson’s gave the reason that it was about insurance,  but if that’s the case how come other yards still allow solo helming? 

Yes it was 2018 and I had my holiday cancelled with 2 months notice which irked me a lot. They didn't give a reason other than it was a policy change. I had hired solo from them several times previously.

I think the solo booking issue in the Silverline transfer situation could be a minefield. Fortunately I'm not solo on Mystique next year but I was solo on Mirage and I suspect had I been solo this time I'd have been looking at a cancellation. Silverline's way of handling my solo booking was to ask me to book online with Hoseasons first and specify two people to fit Hoseasons rules. They also asked me to email them and confirm I had experience and would bring my own self-inflating life-jacket. So I guess it was a Hoseasons booking but with a private arrangement with Silverline.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

MIAB like their Railway equivalent get most unhappy if recommendations ( which are accepted by all involved prior to publication  hence some of the time lag ) are ignored & something similar happens again & sure Insurance Companies would not be impressed either

Fortunately that hasn't yet bothered the sensible boatyards who still accept solo bookings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roy said:

would have thought most of the boats are premium standard not the classic standard ?

just my opinion of course but i dont expect the alpha cc,s,  the connoisseur fb,s,  the older opal, the silverline 27 and the 30ft sedans to be included in the premium class

18 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Fortunately that hasn't yet bothered the sensible boatyards who still accept solo bookings.

I cannot find any recommendation or comment from the MAIB with regard to solo bookings or indeed with regard to the capability/mobility issues of the hirer or indeed crew if present.

Indeed I believe that it is not within their remit.

They investigate marine accidents throughout the world  and present their findings to those who have concern. They have no statutory authority, but can advise. In this respect they are held as an organisation recognised world wide  for their knowledge and expertise. 

They have been involved, relatively recently, in an incident on the Broads with regard to a fatal incident.

Other organisations such as The Broads Authority, Broads Hire Boat Federation and British Marine, address the issues of concern , and have authority to implement their authority which is far reaching and are embraced by the Quality Accredited Boatyard Standard. 

I am unable to see or identify any reference with regard to solo hiring or indeed private solo helming by the insurance companies or indeed by the above organisations. 

The physical, mental, age or induced limitation by drugs or alcohol is not mentioned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, gancanny said:

just my opinion of course but i dont expect the alpha cc,s,  the connoisseur fb,s,  the older opal, the silverline 27 and the 30ft sedans to be included in the premium class

Who decides a boats standing. Basic, Classic, Premier, Gold, Platinum, Executive, Grotty, Sad, Desperate. Supreme, Majestic......Dreadful. 

is there a universal standard, or something dreamt up by the marketing guys. 

Does it vary between boat yards, you bet it does. In the eye of the beholder I believe.

41 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

As to saying Boats being named in different categories with different costs on those Categories such as Standard Midrange and supreeme that I think it will go back years ago when Booking a Boat in that month, such as April low cost and June High cost. 

You may be correct Andrew

But I do think that the marketing aspect is decided by those who wish to promote a particular boat which perhaps is not making a contribution to the profit stream for whatever reason.

I phoned Hoseasons today and they said "yes your booking has been transferred to Stalham, we'll send you a new invoice". When I queried if I was due a discount the guy went away to check and then came back and said yes. I got the impression if I hadn't queried it they would have kept the price unchanged. As it is, I'm really pleased because they've discounted by much more than 10% of the hire charge so I can only assume they've discounted the total including the fuel deposit and damage waiver.

A really big thanks goes to Mike (Scrumpy Cheddar) for sending me a PM to let me know about the 10% discount.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve admired the standard of Silverline’s boats for years, particularly the hull exteriors , always immaculate, being a bit OCD ..it bugs me greatly to see grubby hulls! 
Hopefully now they have moved to Stalham there will be a bit more flexibility in bookings…I tried to book with Silverline a few years ago for 11 nights and got quite an abrupt reply back which sadly put me off ever booking with them

• Like 1

On 20/11/2022 at 14:41, stumpy said:

So the MIAB  differentiates between hire craft and ones in private ownership. Hey ho.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Hearsay, I know, but I’ve just seen a post on a FB Broads Group page confirming that Richardson’s will not honour any solo hires booked through Silverline.  The individual concerned has rebooked with Bridgecraft.

If true I don't blame them.

Silverline were a brilliant yard especially for solo helms, and Bridgecraft are probably the best yard there is. I'd choose both of those (if possible, as things were) over any of the "big" yards if I were to hire again

• Like 3

On 20/11/2022 at 21:26, KevinB said:

I’ve admired the standard of Silverline’s boats for years, particularly the hull exteriors , always immaculate, being a bit OCD ..it bugs me greatly to see grubby hulls! 
Hopefully now they have moved to Stalham there will be a bit more flexibility in bookings…I tried to book with Silverline a few years ago for 11 nights and got quite an abrupt reply back which sadly put me off ever booking with them

And that was really their only failing, had not been to the Charm School when speaking to customers.    Never rude just very matter of fact ,   once you knew Colin and his crew your realised it was just their way but I wasnt that keen.

• Like 2

I have nothing but good to say about Silverline. I hired from them three times. The final time, just before I purchased the Goosander share, was my first time back afloat one year after the death of my wife. I called them originally to enquire if they would accept a solo cruiser and spoke to Colin. I told him of the circumstances, and have to say he was very warm, adding "we will look after you when you get here". Which they did. Colin did the handover and it felt like speaking with one of the family. I've read about the sometimes regimented way they treated customers, but I really think that was just their way of ensuring everybody was out on time enjoying their holidays. Topical at the moment.... it's a 10 from me. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2