Silverline Announcement

Davydine

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

I've read about the sometimes regimented way they treated customers, but I really think that was just their way of ensuring everybody was out on time enjoying their holidays. Topical at the moment.... it's a 10 from me. 

I think the same was true of Royalls and Summercraft to a degree.  We hired from Royalls a couple of times and they had a fairly regimented regime to get everyone off their boats at the end of a holiday, to get the boats turned round for the next hirers and although I used to get on well with Sue at Summercraft, I know she had a reputation for being a little curt with customers who upset her.  We were always treated with respect as returning customers and always offered little extras free of charge for our loyalty.

Both yards were noted for the standard of presentation of their fleet - perhaps it was just part of how their high standards were maintained.

• Like 4

I think Summercraft customer service skills, putting it politely, could be improved. I found Silverline's service personal and easy to deal with.

4 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

The Silverline boats at Richardsons.

Many thanks to Sally-Ann Bennett for permission to use the photo :default_biggrin:

IMG_20221122_110440.jpg

What an odd sight, they look strangely out of place.

• Like 2

I've only met the Silverline team once around 7 years back, but we had popped in to their yard with Commodore 1 when she was two weeks old and most people hadn't seen her.

We spent a bit of time chatting to Colin and Robert as well as looking at some of the fleet and their new build which was almost finished. We also invited them to take a look round Commodore and they were a bit sheepish but clearly very interested to see what the competition were up to. 

I remember Robert commented that the fitout was very much like a Porter & Haylett boat. Probably not surprising given who was working in the new build team at Ricko's at the time.

We'd heard they were a bit difficult, but they didn't come across that way and while they said they certainly tried to avoid bookings from the sort of groups who would wreck the boats I don't think you can really blame them. Colin was clearly (and quite rightly) proud of the fleet and didn't want them getting trashed.

We were an all-male party and they said booking wouldn't be a problem, just give them a call and mention the visit and they'll sort it.

• Like 8

We hired a couple of times from Summercraft and found them to be friendly and their boats excellent , on the other hand we were not impressed with the way Kingfisher Craft and Alpha Craft dealt with their customers , in both cases we felt akin to a schoolboy waiting outside the headmasters office when we returned the boats .

If you have cancelled your booking check your payment details. I checked my credit card account today to find that not only had they not refunded my deposit but taken a further deposit.

I hope I get the £100 back. £50 deposit £50 extra deposit.

paul

i

• Sad 2

If you booked with Hoseasons, be careful.

They often advertise a 'low deposit', which isn't actually the deposit. It's simply a holding payment, and the 'full deposit' is more.

I got stung with this before, as I had booked Silver Haze and then needed to cancel. We had paid the £50 'low deposit' but discovered that to cancel, I would need to pay a further £100 as the deposit was in fact £150.

It's a highly misleading practice, so I reported it to the Advertising Standards Authority as I don't think it really does them or the reputation of Broads holidays any favours in reality.

In my case I said to Hoseasons that I will pay the extra £100 but that it is on the condition that I will never book another holiday with them. They chose to take the cash.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

They often advertise a 'low deposit', which isn't actually the deposit. It's simply a holding payment, and the 'full deposit' is more.

I got stung with this before, as I had booked Silver Haze and then needed to cancel. We had paid the £50 'low deposit' but discovered that to cancel, I would need to pay a further £100 as the deposit was in fact £150.

It's a highly misleading practice, so I reported it to the Advertising Standards Authority as I don't think it really does them or the reputation of Broads holidays any favours in reality.

In my case I said to Hoseasons that I will pay the extra £100 but that it is on the condition that I will never book another holiday with them. They chose to take the cash.

I had a similar experience with a caravan booking with Hoseasons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldgregg said:

If I'd chosen to cancel my Silverline booking I would have expected to be reimbursed in full given Hoseasons were no longer able to offer the holiday I'd booked.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

If I'd chosen to cancel my Silverline booking I would have expected to be reimbursed in full given Hoseasons were no longer able to offer the holiday I'd booked.

Yes, as they (/the boatyard) have changed the goalposts rather than a customer changing their mind after a booking it's slightly different and they would have to reimburse, as appears to have been indicated to be what they have done (and in a straightforward manner, and after a conversation not a faceless/lets do what's easiest email) with those who didn't want to keep with their booking after the change.

The low booking deposit/only partial if cancel oldgregg mentions sounds a poor decision on their part.  They'd have been better keeping it simple and it is what it says (and take on the chin that a few people ditch it) but then integrity is a bit of a rare thing, especially with the big corporate's 

Dan

• Like 1

It is my belief that the deposite, in what ever shape or form is a contractual obligation between the boatyard and customer. The boat yard should have declared its position from the outset, positively and clearly, and stated that the sum of money placed no obligation on the boat yard whatsoever. And that no contract has been agreed by either party. I personally would not entertain such an agreement. I would go elsewhere.

Before any contract is made there must be a mutual consideration. Recognised by both parties. If not recognised by some. I would have walked away and pursued them vigorously..

• Like 1

Low deposits are a popular tool for tour operators of all shapes and sizes. Especially at this time of the year when most money is being spent on Christmas items. Many people can't afford to lay out money on holidays as well. It's a way of getting bookings in early. It's always (usually) the case that the customer is liable for the balance of the deposit in the event the they cancel the holiday. Hoseasons do make it clear that the deposit is indeed a reduced deposit, and what the consequences would be if the holiday was cancelled before the balance payment was due. 

The first image, describing the boat, shows the link to the conditions ( i Book for £100 low deposit) under the green book your holiday button. There's also a link to the conditions on the costings page... where you enter your name and address etc. It's at the bottom of the second image. I believe this appears on every booking where a low deposit is offered. Most people seem to get it, but I'm sure some, in the exuberance of booking, may miss the links.

111.jpg

222.jpg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi, Will Richardsons keep Silver Line Boats' names or change them completely?

Based on what they've done in the past they'll keep the names. They did so with Swancraft and more recently with their acquisitions. I'll be interested to see whether they keep the pale blue colour scheme. 

21 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Based on what they've done in the past they'll keep the names. They did so with Swancraft and more recently with their acquisitions. I'll be interested to see whether they keep the pale blue colour scheme. 

Richardsons did change the name of the Viking 31 (Alpha 31) they bought, from Mamma Mia to Bella Donna. This seemed an odd choice to me, as although Meryl Streep played the star role in Mamma Mia as 'Donna' and so Bella Donna is Beautiful Donna, Belladonna is also the poisonous plant known as Deadly Nightshade!

• Like 1

Quite a good business decision this, win win for everyone involved. Richardsons no longer have the headache of new builds. They've brought a fantastic fleet of boats. ( think we all know we're that's going) and Robert and his team are great boat builders. End of tbh. The broads are clinging on to hire fleets. Ten years ago Alan royall predicted it would be the 4 big boys that would survive. He clearly knew what he was talking about. 

• Like 2

I can't understand why there is such a major problem with refunding all monies paid to a company who can no longer supply the item ordered and not yet supplied.

Why should they accept a " low deposit" and not refund it as they cannot provide the item as ordered?

On top of that they turn round and tell you that you have not paid enough for something that you are not going to get !!

I can remember the days when you could "reserve" a boat for a particular date 12 months later without paying a penny. You would then receive a letter in January asking if you wanted to make it a firm booking and if the answer is YES please send a deposit of x pounds by a specified date.

It seems to me that nowadays booking agents are there to rip you off rather than treat you as a valued customer. !!!

Jeff 

There are several reasons why we enter into a contract to purchase an item or a service. The company will seek to attract your custom by several means.

Two of which are fear of loss, and greed for gain.

Many companies take advantage of this fact. Some employ a lack of transparency.

A lack of responsibility  with regard to a work ethic which we should have a reasonable expectation  to expect.

As Alan Royal is a well-respected person for the Broads now retired as he knew what the future holds for the Boating future it's a great pity to lose one of the most well respected providing Hiring now gone and leaving only a few that still care for their Boats and customers satisfaction at the same time.

43 minutes ago, andyg said:

Quite a good business decision this, win win for everyone involved. Richardsons no longer have the headache of new builds. They've brought a fantastic fleet of boats. ( think we all know we're that's going) and Robert and his team are great boat builders. End of tbh. The broads are clinging on to hire fleets. Ten years ago Alan royall predicted it would be the 4 big boys that would survive. He clearly knew what he was talking about. 

You are  clearly misinformed. Clearly influenced by others who have  not accepted change. 

2 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

I can't understand why there is such a major problem with refunding all monies paid to a company who can no longer supply the item ordered and not yet supplied.

Is there some misunderstanding here? Jeff, as far as I am aware, Hoseasons - a booking agent - are refunding the deposits paid in full. The contract has changed (as has the start point), so a  full refund is due if the customer doesn't want to accept the alternative offered. The low deposit situation talked about is in relation to people who have changed their mind about the holiday, not the booking agent ... disinclination to travel. 

• Like 2