Silverline Announcement

Davydine

15 minutes ago, LizG said:

That must have been a very sad moment for the family and staff at Silverline when the boats left yesterday morning.

Nail hit firmly on the head. I'm sorry for the loss of the yard and sorry for people who have to make decisions about their holiday but how must they have felt when those boats left the yard after so many years, gut wrenching I would imagine.  My heart goes out to them and I wish them well x

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Broads01 said:

B**g*r. Having really enjoyed Silver Mirage this year I have Silver Mystique booked for next summer. The standard of maintenance and improvement of older craft like Mirage is exceptional. This is a very sad loss. 

I haven't had official notification from Hoseasons yet and I don't know whether to stick to Mystique or switch elsewhere.

We Had silver Mystique booked for September we hired this boat last June. It was the best boat we have ever hired. For years we always hired from Brooms and had hired nearly all the fleet from except the Bolero boat.. The silver mystique standard was top quality all way around and so spotless inside and out. The boat is so practical basically you can go anywhere on the broads. This September just gone we had silver solitaire what was another beautiful boat. I’m so glad we hired from there. So sad it’s not going to happen again. 

700219B1-A995-4EA0-8F89-2C5B97FA2A1C.jpeg

658C6DC9-F1F0-4B9E-93E8-2FCC90835374.jpeg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Why are the Southern Boat yards scumming to disappearing over the years as you Forum Members are saying these Southern yards get a lot of Hirers coming back each year shortly they should prosper and expand if and when not to decline as they are now.

Surely has  something to do with the fear of God put into newish hirers about daring to venture south. If they never go, they don't know what theyre missing. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, floydraser said:

What's happening with the 20-boat space left at Brundall?

20 mooring spaces at £2,500 each on average = £50k per year income for very little grief. No having to work weekends or be on call for breakdowns. Concentrate on boat building Mon to Fri to top up the base income from moorings. A no brainer really.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Surely has  something to do with the fear of God put into newish hirers about daring to venture south. If they never go, they don't know what theyre missing. 

How I agree with this. The South has a lot to offer and some beautiful scenery. As I grew older I got to appreciate it more I think. The North has a lot to offer if you have children but the South for a little more peace and quiet :default_biggrin:

Those boats look lovely in Scrumpy's post and in tip top condition as you would expect from a fine yard x

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Buying up the competition

Interestingly, the Silverline statement talks about 'transferring' the fleet, not selling. Maybe reading too much into it  but I wonder if Silverline have retained ownership of the boats. Incidentally did they keep any. Do they have one left for when they want to go boating.

As others have said a sad loss to the Broads and Southern rivers. Would have been my first choice when I wanted to hire on the South.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Used to be where Pedros Boats are now (or close by). Great little shop.  Picture below nicked from the inter web.

C51A6643-E443-4F49-AB57-D33B2B1FC306.jpeg

Thanks Mouldy, yes Ive seen that picture before either on the interweb or in a book. Knew of the beginings and the demise of the once well known on the waters mom and pops style shop. Especially the ice cream in the summers I believe.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Thanks Mouldy, yes Ive seen that picture before either on the interweb or in a book. Knew of the beginings and the demise of the once well known on the waters mom and pops style shop. Especially the ice cream in the summers I believe.

I’ve brought many a ice cream from there !! 

as has been mentioned before the availability of fuel and pumpouts on the southern broads is getting to be an issue, with large distances between areas of availability, brundall is i believe the only place for either on the yare, and other than that you have beccles or burgh castle (I will be happy if proved wrong as long as you let me know the other locations.)

Like others, I am sad to see the demise of Silverline. Before we bought our own boat we hired from Silverline many times, and found them to be of an exceptional standard. I echo what Scrumpy Cheddar says about Silver Mystique, a fantastic boat for two on which we had several memorable holidays. The most memorable was when we visited what was then the  Beccles Vintage Wooden Boat Show and met two people who are members of this forum (you know who you are). Departing Beccles, we had made new friends and also decided to purchase a boat which was for sale at the show. The rest is history. Therefore, Silverline will always have a place in our boating story. 

• Like 2

The fleet looked majestic in convoy in that video , yes sad to see the loss of yet another hire yard , whether on the Southern or Northern Broads, too many have closed down in the past decade .

It does however partially explain the reason for Richardson’s disposal of so many of their older craft in recent months , they needed the space .

Silverline have always built boats and now they have the opportunity and space to concentrate on and grow that side of their business , I wonder if any new models/designs are on the horizon?

Its good to see that Broads Broads will continue to be built in Norfolk as opposed to being farmed out overseas , I can only wish for  good luck and success to both Richardson’s and Silverline in their joint venture .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grendel said:

brundall is i believe the only place for either on the yare, and other than that you have beccles or burgh castle (I will be happy if proved wrong as long as you let me know the other locations.)

ADB Marine just below Reedham swing bridge almost facing the end of The New Cut certainly do pump outs and I'm fairly certain sell diesel.

• Thanks 1

And Waveney River Centre possibly?

Good to see the positive feedback about Silver Mystique. I never doubted it after having Mirage this year. I think I'll stick with it from Stalham.

I'd just like to point out Silverline priced their boats really well. I'm having Silver Mystique in peak season for £1059 hire charge. It has bow thruster, electric roof, electric mudweight and hook up. I've just been looking at the competition for the same week and given how rare 2 berth Centre cockpits are nothing matches it. The closest is Bronze Emblem but that's £1575 all inclusive, so effective price difference of about £300.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Meantime said:

ADB Marine just below Reedham swing bridge almost facing the end of The New Cut certainly do pump outs and I'm fairly certain sell diesel.

Just remember to take cash as they don't accept cards (or at least didn't when we last had a pump out there)

• Thanks 1

Just now, TeamElla said:

Just remember to take cash as they don't accept cards (or at least didn't when we last had a pump out there)

The same with Shadow Boats (Swancraft) that I mentioned earlier, they don't take cards either.

• Thanks 1

A sad day indeed, the loss of one of the last true broads boatyards and arguably the last to have both a relatively modern and immaculately turned out fleet plus even less choice and infrastructure on the South.

Just look at Silver Mirage, 34 years old and practically a new boat, virtually everything has been updated or replaced and yet the boats remain reasonably priced, let's hope it stays that way.

As to Richardsons not having enough room, we'll they have sold about 100 boats on the last 3/4 years so plenty of room.

Also I too wonder whether they are leasing the boats from Silverline, must be 1-2m pounds of boats there.

Neil 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Used to be where Pedros Boats are now (or close by). Great little shop.  Picture below nicked from the inter web.

C51A6643-E443-4F49-AB57-D33B2B1FC306.jpeg

Pics taken in August 86 showing shop in relation to Brooms. We were moored in the two boat bay with Moonlight Shadow's old mooring to Meadow Saffron's right. I was stood outside the shop when I took the second photo.

Years later, after they had demolished the shop, I sat on Moonlight watching them driving the piles for the new moorings where the shop had been.

655a Chris @ Brooms Brundall.jpg

656a Chris @ Brooms Brundall.jpg

• Like 6