Potter Bridge Closed To Road Traffic

Meantime

they had to deal with a similar hole at the port of Dover, according to my Dad, this hole was a little bit larger, wghere they had extended the concrete pad for more lorry parking, they started dumping concrete into it, as the waves had got behind the piling and removed the subsurface gravel, 100 concrete trucks later they started to get some results and could at least see the bottom of the hole, I cant  recall how many he said it took to completely fill .

all we really need t know is the name of the person who has been gradually increasing the height every time they passed under the bridge, because we need to tell them they cant go any further.

• Haha 1

On 28/12/2022 at 13:00, JawsOrca said:

I've never understood why that's open to road traffic, certainly when it's sinking and In most national parks that would just be a pedestrian only bridge :default_gbxhmm:

Well in this not a national park, that bridge isn't really sinking, over the 6 or 700 years since it's been built, the land of the broads have dropped by about, 6-10 inches ( glacial isostatic adjustment), sea levels have risen by about 8 inches since 1900 after the roughly stable period 1400-1900. So the bridge height is reduced by 14 to 18 inches since it's been built.

The biggest problem with boats going under the bridge is the ever increasing size of boats..not just height, but width, you look at the old woodies of martham boats, they are considerably narrower than modern boats and it's those top corners that stops boats going through.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Well in this not a national park, that bridge isn't really sinking, over the 6 or 700 years since it's been built, the land of the broads have dropped by about, 6-10 inches ( glacial isostatic adjustment), sea levels have risen by about 8 inches since 1900 after the roughly stable period 1400-1900. So the bridge height is reduced by 14 to 18 inches since it's been built.

The biggest problem with boats going under the bridge is the ever increasing size of boats..not just height, but width, you look at the old woodies of martham boats, they are considerably narrower than modern boats and it's those top corners that stops boats going through.

I might have agreed with you if it wasnt for the fact that hundreds of boats including mine that were built to and regularly went under the bridge no longer can and havnt done for a few years now, something has changed quite rapidly in the last 10 years or so.

Fred

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Red7 are onsite, presumably diving to see if the sink hole goes all the way through the bridge to the under water supports!!

It also appears that the bridge will now stay shut to road traffic until at least April. Rumours are that they are trying to prohibit road traffic permanently.

So that got me thinking; if the bridge is closed to road traffic one of its primary functions is obsolete, however it is still an ancient listed monument. However with out the need to make provision for road traffic, would it not be possible to build a cut around the bridge for river traffic, with a foot bridge over the cut to maintain pedestrian access to both sides? The newer bridge upstream would still limit the very big boats from reaching the Upper Thurne, but it would increase the number of boats built to pass the old bridge that could once again access the Upper Thurne. Or am I just being ridiculously sensible?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Meantime said:

. . . . . . . . . . .The newer bridge upstream would still limit the very big boats from reaching the Upper Thurne, but it would increase the number of boats built to pass the old bridge that could once again access the Upper Thurne. Or am I just being ridiculously sensible?

More like ridiculously hopeful! :default_smile:

OK then, being pessimistic for a moment, what happens if the divers find there is damage under the water to the structure and the closure to road traffic becomes permanent, but also they decide to close the bridge to river traffic on the grounds of safety. What happens then?

1 hour ago, Meantime said:

OK then, being pessimistic for a moment, what happens if the divers find there is damage under the water to the structure and the closure to road traffic becomes permanent, but also they decide to close the bridge to river traffic on the grounds of safety. What happens then?

It happened on one of the thames bridges not long ago so very possible.

My boat in theory will transit Potter on a good day, but at 12' and a bit beam, it was never going to be a realistic prospect.

I don't think either Potter or Wroxham are sinking but slowly and inexorably, water levels are rising - ask anyone who lives around the Norfolk coast and they would probably say the same - ok its not noticeable by just looking at the river inland from one year to the next but they keep raising the flood walls in GY harbour for some reason or another.

Not sure why but there does seem to be more water the other side of the sand dunes than there used to be , for whatever reason!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meantime said:

Turn around outside Woods. The 3 rivers race will have to transit Ludham Bridge instead with the buoy on Barton ☠️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Meantime said:

Looks like Red7 are onsite, presumably diving to see if the sink hole goes all the way through the bridge to the under water supports!!

It also appears that the bridge will now stay shut to road traffic until at least April. Rumours are that they are trying to prohibit road traffic permanently.

So that got me thinking; if the bridge is closed to road traffic one of its primary functions is obsolete, however it is still an ancient listed monument. However with out the need to make provision for road traffic, would it not be possible to build a cut around the bridge for river traffic, with a foot bridge over the cut to maintain pedestrian access to both sides? The newer bridge upstream would still limit the very big boats from reaching the Upper Thurne, but it would increase the number of boats built to pass the old bridge that could once again access the Upper Thurne. Or am I just being ridiculously sensible?

Wont happen, apart from cost where would you place the entry and exit points.

Fred

Just a thought do you think it would be far safer for all concerned if they took the bridge away and mended it (no rush or hurry) It could then be temporarily replaced by a nice high arched foot bridge as walking over a high arch would help to keep the users fit. A win win situation :default_biggrin:

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/01/2023 at 12:08, Meantime said:

This also happened in Scotland. Scottish Canals had no money for the repairs so everything stopped until they raised the cash.

We rebuild old buildings in museums. We sold London Bridge to the US. Surely reasonable to think we could take it down and rebuild it a tad higher? Or just flog it to the US and reduce the tolls? :default_hiding:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Aboattime said:

Thats a relief as we plan to moor at Potter on Sunday and have a table booked at the Falgate, never been before so looking forward to it.

We hope that you have as good an evening and meal as we have on more than one occasion . As Ian says the new people have put a lot of effort in without loosing the character

A new bar and the old pub as it was makes a nice change and a good combination. 

Enjoy Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 3