Reform The Broads Authority

BroadAmbition

Thanks Guys for bumping this thread. 

Just like the rest of you mine has gone up 13 % 😫

As I have said before good old Norfolk Business Plan. Numbers decreasing ( income declining) so squeeze the remaining ones until the pips squeak. 😣

Having serious discussions about leaving our dinghy in the shed this year . Over £85 for a 4 sq m inflatable 😩 . Mind you I should still be in the black if I visit Ranworth 9 times and mudweight instead of mooring alongside.

Has anyone who is in contact with the " Reform The Broads " Facebook group anything they can share. I am aware there are things going on behind the scenes,and IMHO that is the correct way to proceed , but as not a FB user there may be something I have missed.

No pressure for information but if there is anything that can be shared I would appreciate it. 👍

• Like 2

Apparently the 13% rise is based partly on the premise that the National Park Grant would not increase. Now it has it'll be interesting to see if anything changes. Too late to reduce the tolls I guess but they could quietly drop the idea of charging for mooring at Ranworth etc?? 

I'm not part of the FB group but I do keep an eye on it occasionally. They seem to be making steady progress by being organised. They have responses from MPs who seem to  be listening with sympathetic ears. I should think Dr Packman and Mr Dickson are a bit nervy at last.

• Like 3

Seems like my figures were wrong 😩

A re read seems to give an increase of £440,000 to The BA from the NP grant.

Not as much as I first thought but still not a number to be sniffed at. 

I wonder if my prediction will come true and the 13% increase will slip through as usual and BA will quietly drop the proposed mooring charges at Ranworth and Reedham and we will all celebrate having our concerns listened to 😣

Until next year's inflation busting increase. 😫

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

Seems like my figures were wrong 😩

A re read seems to give an increase of £440,000 to The BA from the NP grant.

Not as much as I first thought but still not a number to be sniffed at. 

I wonder if my prediction will come true and the 13% increase will slip through as usual and BA will quietly drop the proposed mooring charges at Ranworth and Reedham and we will all celebrate having our concerns listened to 😣

Until next year's inflation busting increase. 😫

I think the charge at Reedham may get shelved, because the BA do not own the quay (or so I’m led to believe).  I do think that the charge at Ranworth will be imposed though.

The cynic in me can’t help thinking that certain parties within the BA will be thinking of ways to use additional funding for ill conceived vanity projects and to further the National Park idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is the problem in particular with Quangos and Public Bodies.

They don't generate their own income as such, they are given money out of taxation, grants or fees that we can't control.

So that gives them a 'budget' to spend, and if they don't spend it they lose it.

"Other Peoples Money", and un-accountable, so there is no incentive whatsoever to be prudent and reduce costs. 

• Like 3

So, we're on the northern broads commencing 22nd April.  If they do go ahead and charge to moor at Ranworth then we will for the first time (weather permitting) mudweight on the broad (we've aways wanted to "swing" on a mudweight overnight but never got around to it!). Now supposing we want to top up our freshwater there, would they still try and charge us to moor up while doing so? Just a thought! :default_icon_e_confused:

Chris

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

. . . . . . .  As this time the Rangers are out and about checking on private Boats that's to say pay up I think? 

Toll payments are due on 1st April, Andrew - All Fools Day!  Highly appropriate, under the circumstances.

My money will remain in my bank account until 31st March.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Toll payments are due on 1st April, Andrew - All Fools Day!  Highly appropriate, under the circumstances.

My money will remain in my bank account until 31st March.

So will Moonlight Shadows!

They won't get one penny until we have to!!!

13% rise is disgraceful, especially off the back of COVID and the current economic crisis

The sooner that organisation is reformed and accountable the better!

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Bikertov said:

That is the problem in particular with Quangos and Public Bodies.

They don't generate their own income as such, they are given money out of taxation, grants or fees that we can't control.

So that gives them a 'budget' to spend, and if they don't spend it they lose it.

"Other Peoples Money", and un-accountable, so there is no incentive whatsoever to be prudent and reduce costs. 

Absolutely right Bikertov.

Is there any wonder why there are soooo many public sector strikes 😳

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Why is the grant cycle out of sync with annual financial budgeting. Or is it a matter of poor communication between PSB’s? If so why?

Cos it's Public Sector.

They have all the time in the world.

Not like the rest of us who have to work to a deadline.

Sorry I know I am going off topic but when I ran a residents group opposing the County Council I was issued with many deadlines. The CC said they would reply within a certain timeframe. And then they simply didn't.

Then extended that timeframe.

And gave us another deadline.

Then they missed it again

And on and on etc 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

The above posted on here with permission from the BRAG group

Griff

As a committee member of BRAG, I am happy to answer any questions and provide any information if can. If doing so is within the terms of service as promulagated by the moderating team of this esteemed forum. 

As a point of information, the committee is comprised of a variety of Broads stakeholders which include owners, hirers, non-boaters, boat builders, and fishing people etc etc  We are from a variety of backgrounds and bring a range of skills to the committee. We have met several times via Zoom since the inception of the FB group, and drawn in comments from members of many different Broads related groups, local and national representatives, MP's and members of the House of Lords. DEFRA, and the relevant Secretary of State is now aware, and is in communication with us.

Whilst some people might be somewhat disparaging of the FB group, a great deal of hard work has gone in in the background of this announcement. To this end, I would sincerely hope that moderators and members will come to appreciate the nature of BRAG, and that our intentions are far beyond that of another moaning FB page.  

• Like 7