Reform The Broads Authority

BroadAmbition

Thank you Ray, I have just had a read for a few minutes, until it started telling me to join!

A bit like the curate's egg, by the look of it.

I did notice that a friend of mine has posted, as I asked him, to mention that there are a lot of us out here who don't do Facebook but would like to support the group's intention.  The answer was that they are considering ways of expanding their coverage.  It doesn't sound as though it will be very soon, though!

• Like 1

I ue facebook but only for closed private groups, such  as my local residents group and a small group of friends. I don't give a regular account of my life, letting people know about my holidays and hence when leaving my house empty etc. I have never had any junk come through from other sources and so I am OK about it.

I thought I would have a look at the action group being discussed here, with a view to join and so logged onto the link that Ray kindly posted above.

To my amazement, when I accessed this fb page for the very first time a few minutes ago, I found I was already a member and cleared to add posts, having joined last Sunday. How can this be? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PaulN said:

I thought I would have a look at the action group being discussed here, with a view to join and so logged onto the link that Ray kindly posted above.

To my amazement, when I accessed this fb page for the very first time a few minutes ago, I found I was already a member and cleared to add posts, having joined last Sunday. How can this be? 

Oh Gawd, I suppose this must have happened to me as well?

I notice we haven't heard much about this group in the last few days : should they perhaps be considering a more credible means of protest, than Facebook?

• Like 1

It is a very poorly constructed fb page, with all sorts of junk on it. Other fb groups I belong to are exclusive to the group and only give information that is relevant. They look more like our forum than the fb page of this group.

49 minutes ago, PaulN said:

It is a very poorly constructed fb page, with all sorts of junk on it. Other fb groups I belong to are exclusive to the group and only give information that is relevant. They look more like our forum than the fb page of this group.

Not being a member of FB or the group of people posting on the open FB page can I ask what you consider to be the junk? 

On 24/01/2023 at 06:48, Vaughan said:

Thank you Ray, I have just had a read for a few minutes, until it started telling me to join!

I was neither asked or told to join so I read it all.

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I notice we haven't heard much about this group in the last few days : should they perhaps be considering a more credible means of protest, than Facebook?

Posters there have posted names, postal addresses and email addresses of the correct people to contact if they feel strongly enough, this is more than I have seen before but needs people to actually do so rather than just moan every year.

• Like 3

I have read that two MPs, Jerome Mayhew and Duncan Baker have co-signed a letter to Bill Dickson, Chairman of the BA, asking him to explain the 13% rise and also clarify the position on the allocation of funds etc. The letter is the result of contact from the BHBF. This is the most positive action I've heard of so far towards reform. We await Mr Dickson's reply.

BTW the storage fee for my caravan has gone up by 13%. It's catching...:default_2gunsfiring_v1:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, floydraser said:

. . . . . . . . . BTW the storage fee for my caravan has gone up by 13%. It's catching...:default_2gunsfiring_v1:

I’ve had an email overnight from Anglian Water, informing me that my bill for the next year will rise by only 10.7%!  What a bargain! :default_wacko:

• Like 1

On 22/01/2023 at 17:22, Vaughan said:

Tell that to Dr Packman, then.

Please don't think me flippant - I very much appreciate your posts which are very useful and well worthy of serious consideration.

When talking of a funding stream, the National Park question becomes relevant since the Broads, unique among the "Family" has the additional income from river tolls, owing to the obligation to navigation.   Other NPs have to rely solely on the fluctuation of Government funding.

This additional funding stream is dedicated to the maintenance of the cruising area and should be maintained separate from the funding of the "national park".

I trust that this is still the case and there has been no temptation to "rob Peter to pay Paul"?   After all, during the years of pandemic, the river toll income stream remained the same, as all river tolls, private and hire, continued to be payed in full.   Which makes me wonder why a 13% increase should be needed now. 

Just asking . . . .

The edges of the two accounts are bound to become a little blurred if staff duties switch between the two but with care & tech should not be difficult if properly & openly explained? Hopefully with pressure from the other National Parks ( and following their proven popularity during Covid) HM Treasury may be persuaded to up the funding for 2024-5 Help from MPs appreciated

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bytheriver said:

The edges of the two accounts are bound to become a little blurred if staff duties switch between the two but with care & tech should not be difficult if properly & openly explained? Hopefully with pressure from the other National Parks ( and following their proven popularity during Covid) HM Treasury may be persuaded to up the funding for 2024-5 Help from MPs appreciated

MPs will run with the fox, if it suits them they will hunt with the hounds.

Old Wussername.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SteveO said:

Hmm so a thread calling for reform of the Broads Authority turns largely into a critique and debate on the rights and wrongs of Facebook. Methinks we boaters get what we deserve. 

except for the fact the thread was to inform about a facebook group starting up with that aim, rather than a call to arms, which makes the divergence a  natural progression.

11 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

An article has just come up on the EDP website, entitled :

Navvies vs Parkies : Civil war at Broads authority.  MP's concerns over illegal use of funds.

A long article but well worth reading.

Mmmmmm

Very interesting.

Maybe I was wrong about the FB group. Happy if I am. 👍

Also quite impressed with my own MP for getting involved 👍

I think I need to write to him again.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

An article has just come up on the EDP website, entitled :

Navvies vs Parkies : Civil war at Broads authority.  MP's concerns over illegal use of funds.

A long article but well worth reading.

Hopefully here`s the link

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/23295661.norfolk-broads-mps-concerns-illegal-use-funds/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2