Pancake Day

grendel

so google informed me it was pancake day, whoops, did i have the ingredients, yes- well sort of, substitute bread flour for plain flour and I had them, so batter was mixed and set aside while tea was put on (honey and mustard sausages) what to have with the pancakes, well no lemon juice (i dont really like it anyway, so plain pancakes with a dash of maple syrup, (i have to be careful as a type 2 diabetic - just enough for flavour) and it was all set, while the sausages cooked i was also doing the pancakes and they came out looking just fine.

the first couple will be savory (with a sausage rolled up in the middle) the rest will have maple syrup.

• Like 2

You read my thoughts Grendel. I very nearly posted a photo of my yummy pancakes, lemon and sugar for me, never anything else. And Tony doesn’t like them, so ALL MINE. My once a year treat. 

Had to go to two shops yesterday before I could find any eggs, mind you. Should have asked plot neighbours at the allotments. 

• Like 1

Nah. I’m too old to start making pancakes late evening, or anything else for that matter. The ageing digestion system can’t cope with late meals any longer. The only thing that consoles me is memories of my Mam and Grandparents similarly complaining when they were around my age. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, SteveO said:

Totally forgot that it was pancake day yesterday.  Pity because I quite like a good pancake - especially the ones you get in Brittany and Normandy with bacon and eggs in them.

I am with you StevoO.    I completely forgot as well.       

• Like 1

I made pancakes for my boys, they turned out really well, they were not ready made mix in a packet or anything :default_icon_liar: (they even smothered them in syrup, I can't win) :default_biggrin:

As for Lent, I respect everyone's beliefs and their entitlement to them but I am not religious unless you call worshipping wine a religion then I am way up there with the rest of them :default_biggrin: x

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, SteveO said:

Totally forgot that it was pancake day yesterday.  Pity because I quite like a good pancake - especially the ones you get in Brittany and Normandy with bacon and eggs in them.

Galettes - been there, had them and now salivating at the memories.

8 hours ago, AndyTBoater said:

How about this then.

Made with Strawberry Nesquik and served with a crushed Ferrero Rocher garnish

20230221_173846.thumb.jpg.4c15fbe23e221844781ae5b74bbe8767.jpg

Just wrong.  Completely forgotten about galettes in Normandy and feeling ill!  Grrrrrrrrr!!! 🤢

• Like 1

I will in future stick to the really thin style Crêpes, À la Française. Sugar and lemon or a little clotted cream and a spash of Van de Hum.

I went down the American blueberry route this year , and whilst pleasant, not a patch on the above.

20230221_173929.thumb.jpg.9f5d97341479c4daf9f0273f73b5b673.jpg20230221_174849.thumb.jpg.059ca62fd5bbf3f64530d2184fe6b003.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Hmmm. Clotted cream sounds nice. Now, what can I do with the lemons I bought?

You would enjoy the Van de Hum. Not often you can beat a French offering but Grand Marnier and Cointreau are not up to Van de Hum.

Not so easy to find nowadays though.