Tide Times

Steve2604

6 minutes ago, grendel said:

you mean the official norfolk broads forum, well we can say the name (just dont cross post between the forums or link to any content between them, as we do frown upon that).

(Looks over shoulder, to see if any of the rest of the mod team noticed)

I noticed the original link to the tide table but took a practical view that it was not linked to members content.

Mods took the same view.

I also look in on the Norfolk Broads Forum, it doesn't make me or anyone else a bad person 😁

The no cross links of content was agreed many years ago and is a courtesy to both sets of members and is an adult agreement.

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:
On 28/02/2023 at 18:32, PaulN said:

Afraid to say I always use the tide tables from our Forum's rival which calls themselves 'Official' fro some reason.

What rival was that?

I was referring to the word "rival" rather than any consideration of consenting adults.

Surely this forum is "sans pareil"?

• Like 1

Hmmm, just printed off a tide table for our week on the Broads from 22 Apr 23. I see that the day we take the boat over at HW there is a spring tide and High water around about 3 p.m. ish. We're only planning to get down to Thurne Dyke for the first night and staying on the northern broads all week.  I know the northern broads are less affected by the tidal range than the southern broads but do I need to be concerned at all? (And coincidentally when we come back on the 2nd Sep 23, there's also  spring tide!!)

Chris

29 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

Hmmm, just printed off a tide table for our week on the Broads from 22 Apr 23. I see that the day we take the boat over at HW there is a spring tide and High water around about 3 p.m. ish. We're only planning to get down to Thurne Dyke for the first night and staying on the northern broads all week.  I know the northern broads are less affected by the tidal range than the southern broads but do I need to be concerned at all? (And coincidentally when we come back on the 2nd Sep 23, there's also  spring tide!!)

Chris

I wouldn’t worry about a spring tide if you’re staying north.  Wind and in particular wind direction are the things that could affect you more, especially if you have a high airdraft boat and the water is prevented from draining.

As we have no control over our weather, just look forward to your visit and enjoy it when you get here.  Sadly, we’ll be finishing our week on Moonlight Shadow on 21st April, so our paths won’t cross this time.  Based on our usual experience, that means that it will be the beginning of a hot dry week, just as we go home! 😉

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I wouldn’t worry about a spring tide if you’re staying north.  Wind and in particular wind direction are the things that could affect you more, especially if you have a high airdraft boat and the water is prevented from draining.

As we have no control over our weather, just look forward to your visit and enjoy it when you get here.  Sadly, we’ll be finishing our week on Moonlight Shadow on 21st April, so our paths won’t cross this time.  Based on our usual experience, that means that it will be the beginning of a hot dry week, just as we go home! 😉

We're on Olympic Light 2 (which is the same style of boat as Supreme Light which we had in Oct last year). This holiday we're going to try and do a few different things like swinging on the mudweight overnight and "do" a wild mooring somewhere! I'll let you know if you're weather forecast for our week is accurate :default_biggrin:

Chris

• Like 2

Do spring tides

4 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Wouldn't spring tides affect clearance at Ludham, Malcom? And what about Wroxham (I know Chris's boat doesn't do Wroxham anyway)?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Do spring tides

Wouldn't spring tides affect clearance at Ludham, Malcom? And what about Wroxham (I know Chris's boat doesn't do Wroxham anyway)?

I think that the weather would potentially have more impact than a spring tide, although I believe that Olympic Light has an airdraft of about 8’3” and passage through Ludham may not be possible with the spring high.  It should make passage easier at low, though.  It’s difficult to predict, particularly with our weather, but being concerned about  something over which we have no control shouldn’t spoil the anticipation of a holiday.  If it happens, deal with it at the time.

My opinion Simon obviously and I stand  to be corrected.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Sadly, we’ll be finishing our week on Moonlight Shadow on 21st April, so our paths won’t cross this time.  Based on our usual experience, that means that it will be the beginning of a hot dry week, just as we go home! 😉

Thanks for the heads up Malcolm, I’ll put it in my diary for a trip down to the boat. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

I think that the weather would potentially have more impact than a spring tide, although I believe that Olympic Light has an airdraft of about 8’3” and passage through Ludham may not be possible with the spring high.  It should make passage easier at low, though.  It’s difficult to predict, particularly with our weather, but being concerned about  something over which we have no control shouldn’t spoil the anticipation of a holiday.  If it happens, deal with it at the time.

My opinion Simon obviously and I stand  to be corrected.

The skippers manual on Supreme Light (same style as Olympic Light) gave airdraft as 8' 6" but the plate at the inner helm station stated 8' 2"!! We always went by the 8' 6" guide to be on the safe side! We will get up to Stalham at some point during the week and we'll make sure we pass under Ludham bridge as close to low water as possible! :default_icon_e_smile:

Chris

• 2 months later...

Aweigh is indeed a useful app, but in my limited experience, its tidal information is based on assumptions that do not always apply to the tides on the Broads. More often on the Broads we see 5 hrs of flow and 7 of ebb and most certainly, the one twelths rule in sequencing the rise and fall over a 12 hour period is way way off. Tides out at sea might perform like that but not Broadland tides - as if anyone really cared!!!!!

• Like 1

I always use the Shorebase tide tables exclusively and they've never let me down yet. 

http://www.norfolk-broads.org/index.htm

Highly recommended. I think they might have something to do with our old friend Strowager as if you look carefully there is an old phone dial icon in there.  If it is him he was always very good on the technical side (no doubt still is).

During our recent visit to Beccles we were told we had no chance of getting through the bridge at the time we wanted. Quick check on the Shorebase table and straight through, no problem. Certainly the 'bible' for me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

I always use the Shorebase tide tables exclusively and they've never let me down yet. 

http://www.norfolk-broads.org/index.htm

Highly recommended. I think they might have something to do with our old friend Strowager as if you look carefully there is an old phone dial icon in there.  If it is him he was always very good on the technical side (no doubt still is).

During our recent visit to Beccles we were told we had no chance of getting through the bridge at the time we wanted. Quick check on the Shorebase table and straight through, no problem. Certainly the 'bible' for me. 

It is indeed him, and yes they're very good tide times.

• Like 1

I've been relying on this excellent resource for years and have also been dismayed that there aren't any predictions for 2024. I hope that's not a resource lost?

I've had a try at doing my own tide tables for the weeks we have in 2024, based on difference between tide predictions in Dover. I've worked on an assumption that Gt Yarmouth YS low tide is 2 hours 20 minutes earlier than Dover. If that's wrong then all my calculations will be out.

I've used the same assumptions for low tide that are in the Shorebase tide tables, so:

St Olaves and Reedham, low tide an hour and a half earlier than Gt Yarmouth

Buckenham, Loddon and Acle, an hour earlier than St Olaves and Reedham

Potter, Ludham Bridge, Horning, Oulton, Beccles and Brundall half an hour earlier than Buckenham etc.

Wroxham and Norwich, another half hour earlier.

Also, the Shorebase tables suggest high tide is normally 5 hours 15 minutes later.

When we are actually on the Broads I now rely on the Aweigh App, which I find pretty accurate. However, it's useful having an idea of what the tides are likely to be for forward planning, Whether it's feasible to go south or not and so on. 

You might find it easier using Immingham instead of dover as your standard port if you can get 2024 predictions as the way the tides move around the UK the broads floods from the north and ebbs back north, the tide goes both ways around the country and meets around harwich area.

3 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Yes Aweigh is pretty good. The only thing it's a little too simplistic for is it's "Tide falling"/"Tide rising" message. I think it assumes the tide rises and falls in a uniform way which we all know it doesn't.

The thing on the Broads further down river (Stokesby, Stracey, Burgh Castle, Polkey Mill etc.) that the tide rising description is accurate, even thought the river flow is still going out. We've sat on Polkey's Mill a few times seeing the boat rise against the quay head whilst the flow is still going down river. 

On 08/06/2023 at 16:32, YnysMon said:

The thing on the Broads further down river (Stokesby, Stracey, Burgh Castle, Polkey Mill etc.) that the tide rising description is accurate, even thought the river flow is still going out. We've sat on Polkey's Mill a few times seeing the boat rise against the quay head whilst the flow is still going down river.

Entirely correct, on one 3 River Race we arrived at the Stracy arms buoy and there was a long line of sailing cruisers tied up as they arrived too early and couldn't fight their way back against the tide.

Some were chucking reeds into the water to see what the water was doing, others were having an instant barbecue on the river bank.

We sailed round the buoy and back up river. To the sound of charcoal sizzling as it hit the river..

Salt water comes up river under the fresh water going out.

• Like 1