Advice About Picking Up Passengers After Boat Pick Up

troggy

Hi I've just joined the forum, I went boating in the broads last year and were booked up for this summer this time for a week. 

I've put 7 people on the booking for for Richardsons but I wanted to turn up at the boatyard with 3 people and collect another 4 people in Wroxham.   

I was wondering how to explain that to Richardsons and whether there would be an issue about the life vests and paperwork.  That sort of thing.

I also wondered how I would go about collecting people from Wroxham?  Is there a place to stop for a moment to pick up or could I pick them up from another boatyard?

Thanks in advance, I did try to search the forum before posting. 

If you've put everyone who will be aboard on the list with Ricko's then it shouldn't be a big deal.

This won't be the first time that someone has hired a boat and more people have joined the party later, and there will be three of you collecting (must be at least two adults, though, with Ricko's) the boat.

I have done this and I'm sure many others here have. It's only really a problem when people aren't honest about the number of people and the boat has more people aboard than it's licensed for.

Good pickup points would be Acle Bridge (you can even arrange with them to leave cars there), Wroxham, Horning, Coltishall (depending on the boat) and quite a few other places.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I would suggest  you tell Richardsons,before you start your holiday. I would  also ask for advice about Wroxsham. You can moor at the hotel and the cafe for a fee and BA 24 hour  free moorings  the other side of the bridge.

Yes thanks I will tell Richardson's and will check out the mooring areas.  I'm happy to pay to stop for a moment.  I'm looking for the most convenient least hassle location to collect some elderly people with some luggage. 

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:
1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

I have done this and I'm sure many others here have. It's only really a problem when people aren't honest about the number of people and the boat has more people aboard than it's licensed for.

Thanks it sounds like it should be easy to do, there will be 7 of us total and were on an 8 occupancy boat.  

If they’re coming by train, the Hoveton viaduct moorings, through the bridge and after the railway bridge are the nearest to the station. Probably a few metres nearer than from the St. John’s. Just depends whether you prefer stern on or side in mooring I suppose. 
Hire boats are able to moor in Barnes, even overnight. Not sure whether hireboats can go in NBD. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldgregg said:

If you've put everyone who will be aboard on the list with Ricko's then it shouldn't be a big deal.

This won't be the first time that someone has hired a boat and more people have joined the party later, and there will be three of you collecting (must be at least two adults, though, with Ricko's) the boat.

Good pickup points would be Acle Bridge (you can even arrange with them to leave cars there), Wroxham, Horning, Coltishall (depending on the boat) and quite a few other places.

One of the reasons the capacity of the boat is indicated after the Registration Number !

• Like 1

I would say try to collect them by car and board at Richardsons. It’s the easiest option and the staff can help if needed. Parking a second car is best at the original boatyard too.

This takes the guesswork out of the start of the holiday. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Polly said:

I would say try to collect them by car and board at Richardsons. It’s the easiest option and the staff can help if needed. Parking a second car is best at the original boatyard too.

This takes the guesswork out of the start of the holiday. 

Sometimes the most simplest of suggestions are the best.

I also believe that it is important that all the holiday makers are involved in the trial run.

Safety, disciplines, communication and consideration are all part of boating. Not just the individual who has hired the boat. Everybody should be involved and made aware of their responsibilities not only for themselves but others, friends, family and of course other boaters.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Wussername said:

Sometimes the most simplest of suggestions are the best.

I also believe that it is important that all the holiday makers are involved in the trial run.

Safety, disciplines, communication and consideration are all part of boating. Not just the individual who has hired the boat. Everybody should be involved and made aware of their responsibilities not only for themselves but others, friends, family and of course other boaters.

I agree about the trial run but, as a hangover from Covid rules, Richardsons only allowed two adults with the yard crew member on the boat. For us, that meant just me as my wife had to stay behind to look after our boy. Thought it was a bit odd that this rule was still in place.

• Like 1

@troggy

Everything you are doing is perfectly acceptable and spot on, including the planning you are doing

So yes you are able to pick up guests on route as long as they accounted for on the hire agreement, you have enough life jackets and if staying with you the bedding is pre-arranged 

The pick up location mainly depends on the mode of travel for your guests, are they arriving by public transport, coach or their own car and their mobility taking into account the amount of luggage they will have with them.

As others have stated, picking up at Stalham is easiest if they have a vehicle because they can leave a 2nd car at Richardsons and if you are together for the rest of your trip it is easy to conclude without a 2nd diversion.

If they are arriving by train, the free moorings above Wroxham Bridge and close to the Kings Head are best as it's a short walk from the station.

If they are coming by vehicle I would probably suggest Horning as they could street park quite easily and there is a car park near the village hall.

You could then either moor at the free moorings (although these are like rocking horse poo 💩!), Moor at Ferry Marina, or book a mooring at the New Inn or attend the Ferry Inn and meet for food and a drink whilst getting your guests on board.

Other than those if you are still determined to meet at Wroxham south of the bridge, as others have suggested, try Barnes Brinkcraft, Norfolk Broads Direct (which are both free to hire craft) or outside Wroxham Hotel for a fee

Finally, whatever you decide, hope you and your party have a wonderful time 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, grendel said:

I suppose we ought to consider their mode of transport, are they arriving by car, or train, if train, then pickup at wroxham would be easier, while car gives more options.

yeah they are getting there by car.  Now that I've seen all of the advice however I think my options have expanded.