Hire Yards Of Yesteryear

Roy

The how it all started topic got me thinking as a child I’d sit on a bench at the riverside plot we owned in brundall  on a Saturday afternoon watching all the hire boats going out for the week there used to be a constant stream of them making there way down hoborough dyke in brundall.

these are the yards I can remember being there in the late 80s 

alexandra cruisers 

bounty boats 

swan craft 

silver line 

alpha craft 

bees boats 

harbour cruisers 

fen craft 

fresh water cruisers 

willow cruisers 

vip Harvey Eastwood 

its a shame to think that I watched all these yards close through the years with the last one being silverline recently.

can people think of other yards either in brundall or else where on the network 

thanks 

• Like 3

Happy memories, Roy, I remember all those. Others that come to mind are Wing Line (although I think they'd gone by the late 80s) and Buccaneer Boats. Aren't NYA down that dyke nowadays or have I got that wrong?

If we start talking about other yards outside Brundall it'll be a huge list.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Happy memories, Roy, I remember all those. Others that come to mind are Wing Line (although I think they'd gone by the late 80s) and Buccaneer Boats. Aren't NYA down that dyke nowadays or have I got that wrong?

If we start talking about other yards outside Brundall it'll be a huge list.

NYA have about  three moorings in Brundall.Buccaneer are up for sale I think.

Not in Brundall but three operators I have hired from;

Norfolk Marine, based at Womack Water, Caribou in 1981.

Hearts cruisers based at Thorpe, I can't remember the boat name but may have been Queen of Hearts in 2001 or 2002.....A fabulously elegant old cruiser with a folding wheelhouse.

The wonderful Horizon craft at Acle bridge. We hired many of their bath tubs from 2000 until it closed 7 or 8 years ago.

The very first time we hired in 1982 was from Brundall, R & D Smith who I think later became Stellarcraft briefly. 
We hired from Anchorcraft at Acle a few times, that was another great yard. It’s only fairly recently the name of Anchorcraft has finally disappeared from above the wetshed there. 

• Like 3

We hired from Alan Johnson Boats at Acle ( next to the bridge opposite the pub) 

Have also hired from Brister Craft at Wroxham and Belaugh  Boats.

Porter and Haylett at Wroxham is another I remember and George Smith also at Wroxham

Another was Martham Ferry Boats

Will try to remember a few more

Jwff

• Like 2

Most of the yards we hired from have long since disappeared:

F B Wilds   
Porter &Haylett (Connoisseur).  
Gale Cruisers, Chedgrave.  
Russell Marine, South Walsham.  
Brister Craft, Hoveton.  
Royalls, Hoveton

• Like 1

Empty tables, empty chairs.

I have lived in Norfolk, within the Norfolk Broads all my life. My Great Grandfather, my Grandfather, his sons, my Uncle's, thier sons, my cousins, all had boat yards. All gone. Except one.

Such is the way of life I suppose.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

They’re not completely gone though Wussername, folk remember the boat names, memories of holidays, photos. I had one up my sleeve last night for a quiz clue just in case where a Krayfish came to pass gleaned an empty response.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

BB boats in Brundall (later Freshwater), small family yard with six boats one of which was called Peripin.

Think Perrapin was a Broom build. Lovely looking boat. Think it was moored under covers downstream from Coldham Pub. Possibly went to the Thames from there.

• Like 1

Whispering Reeds at Hickling and didn't Ludham bridge boatyard hire out small cruisers a one time?

Moonfleet marine at Stalham ( eventually incorporated into Richardsons)

Ripplecraft also comes to mind

Maffett Cruisers...

Jeff

Edited by jeffbroadslover
another memory