Hire Yards Of Yesteryear

Roy

HIRERS OR PRIVATES ?

This one crops up time after time and it shouldn't. 

Hirers get it wrong quite often because many of them are novices.  After a few seasons, they learn and go on to be proficient and thoughtful boat handlers. 

Far fewer boat owners (privates) are novices, with most coming from a hiring background. These people have less of an excuse for speeding and suchlike.

I witness bad behaviour from both groups, yet it is the private boat owner who annoyes me most, my having a "should know better" attitude. 

Sometimes one can tell if a hirer knows better but has a "who cares" attitude,  he has a tendency to keep looking straight ahead, never glancing at the scenery or mayhem he is passing/creating.  I say "he" as experience has shown me that the lady helm tends to be far more aware of her surroundings and more respectful of them.

I wish more ladies would take the helm more often, letting the egoed one's leap dramatically ashore (with all that goes with such behaviour)

Darwin rules OK.

My first hire was in 1972, a boat called Fair Sandra a Freeman 22, from Faircraft boatyard based then above Summercraft's Hoveton the top off Brimbelow Road , they had 2 other Freeman 22 names escape me now.

Always wondered was this the start of Faircraft, before they became Faircraft Lloyns?

20230715_152509.jpg

That's interesting, I wondered who started Faircraft. I knew Len Funnells first yard on the Broads I believe was Faircraft.

As far as I know he started in the mid 70s though , so perhaps he bought the yard you are talking about. A company called trail marine was also involved. Initially he took over the old R. Moore yard in Marsh Road and also had a small yard in Brundall. In 1981/2 he bought the Lloynes boatyard at the Bridge, the Marsh road yard became properties and sometime after the old Norfolk Broad yacht Co yard which became Roy's DIY and George Smith dayboat operation, now part of Richardsons. 

You could probably write a book on Lens broads yards and ownership, his involvement/takeovers have included Herbert Woods, Chumley and Hawke, Burehaven, Brundall Gardens Marina, Harbour Cruisers, Harvey Eastwood (owned the yard,  didnt run it), Waveney River Centre, Ferry Marina, Alan Johnson Boats, plus many others which of course now includes a return to his old Faircraft Lloynes yard reaquired and run by his son in law. 

Neil 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Captain said:

and sometime after the old Norfolk Broad yacht Co yard which became Roy's DIY and George Smith dayboat operation, now part of Richardsons. 

I was only 10 years old when we hired from Norfolk Broads Yachting Company and I remember it was up that dyke somewhere but couldn't remember the exact location. Next time I'm in Hoveton I'll be able to visualise the old boatyard, thanks Neil.

• Like 1

If you go back far enough (early 20th century) the Norfolk Broads Yachting Companies yard was on the site of todays Hotel Wroxham.

Faircraft was established in the late 1950s. Not sure of any connection but the Alan Johnson yard at Acle Bridge also used the fleet name Faircraft in their 1960s advertising.

Going back to Brundall boatyards, anyone remember the very short lived Challenger Stealth Fleet (did it do a full season) based at Ed Rimmer's yard (the old Brundall Gardens Yacht Station) that he created as a base for the Challenger Syndicate boats which also included a row of holiday share properties that lay empty for years. The project collapsed before it got off the ground but today is the successful Marine Power yard.

Todays (sadly fleetless) Silverline yard was in the past, Stephenson Rivercraft, Chartercraft and Foster Marine. 

Fred

• Like 3

Just now, webntweb said:

The year before they were Brundall Station Boats, then for 1992 they added II to their name . . . I wonder why!

It wouldn't really instil confidence would it!?

In the summer of 1995 there was a few tied up at their yard but I didn't see any out on hire and wasn't sure if they were still running, so I think their last year might have been 1994, or possibly 1995

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just found my Dad's old list of yards and fleet sizes probably taken from a late 50s or early 60s Blakes brochure. The total was 635 boats, not sure how accurate it is however the old brochures did list class numbers upto about 1974 for Blakes.

Allen 7

Bell Boats 10

Bondon 11

Broom 26

Chumley and Hawke 11

Ernest Collins 30 yachts only

Collins pleasurecraft 18

Darby 10

Dawncraft 14

Easticks 16

Eastwood Whelpton 11 yachts 

English 3

Ferry boatyard 17

Fowler 9

Freeman 16

Hampton 7

Hearts 13

Hefft 7

Hunter 1

Jenners 25

Johnson 6

Landamore 22

Loynes 17

Neatishead 11

Norfolk Broads yacht company 9

Norfolk holiday boats Horning 24

Powles  31

Princess cruisers loddon 11

Richardsons 77

Ripplecraft 14

Sabberton 12

Sanderson 8

Smiths 13

Southgate 12

Sutton Staithe 7

Sunboats Acle 8 (became Horizon craft)

Truman 4

Turner 4

Ward 21

Wayford Marina 3

Windboats 23

Woods 63

He also put the numbers in each class however not the names of the boats. I wonder where I got my anorak love of boat details from? Some yards I have never heard off including Norfolk holiday boats with 24 craft. Even then Richardsons were the largest, presumably based at Stalham by then to accommodate 77 boats vs 30 or 40 at Oulton 

Neil 

• Like 3

Here's a quiz question to which I don't know the answer but I bet one if you knowledgeable folks will. Which location had the highest number of boatyards and how many were there? When I was growing up in the 80s, Wroxham and Brundall had about 10 boatyards each. Oulton Broad had 4 I think (Topcraft, Newson, Truman and Hampton) but I know it had many more previously. 

1 hour ago, Captain said:

I wonder where I got my anorak love of boat details from

I wonder that about myself too, Neil.

What strikes me about your list is how many of the boatyards operated with a very small number of boats. Some things don't change though - Richardsons and Herbert Woods had the highest numbers, albeit far fewer than they each have today.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Captain said:

Some yards I have never heard off including Norfolk holiday boats with 24 craft.

That became the new name for N.H.Banham of Horning, before Percivals bought the yard.

I would guess that list at sometime in the late 50s. Some yards got an awful lot bigger after that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Here's a quiz question to which I don't know the answer but I bet one if you knowledgeable folks will. Which location had the highest number of boatyards and how many were there? When I was growing up in the 80s, Wroxham and Brundall had about 10 boatyards each. Oulton Broad had 4 I think (Topcraft, Newson, Truman and Hampton) but I know it had many more previously. 

I think this is a difficult one because it really depends on the era or even year you are asking about. Yards came and went, renamed or even relocated often, especially post-war with the initial boom in what is known today as staycations followed by the slow decline from the 1970s.

I would guess Brundall takes the title for having operated the most hire yards over the years but many only operated a handful of boats, some even just one or two.

Pre-war, I only know of C. J. Broom & Sons with Bell Boats hiring out from 1950. By the mid 1960s the list was growing by the following;

Alpha Craft

Blue Cruisers

Brundall Gardens Yacht Station

Bradeston Boats (later B.B. Cruiser Co.).

Robin Fisher.

Girl Craft.

J. E. Fletcher (2nd yard with one at Oulton Broad).

Kin Craft (later Peterkin)

Leisure Time Boats.

Lingwood Cruisers.

H. Ody (later L. J. Eastwood, Harvey Eastwood and VIP Harvey Eastwood).

Purdy Cruisers (based at Alpha Craft)

Tidecraft Cruisers.

Robin G. Smith.

Smith & Forster (later Wing Line).

Springcraft.

Stephenson Rivercraft (later Chartercraft, Foster Marine and Silverline)

Swancraft

by the mid 70s you could add names like,

B.P.T Cruisers.

Bees Boats.

Bounty Boats.

Brister Craft (later relocated to Wroxham)

Carr & West (Coral Craft).

County Cruisers.

Curtis.

Davies & Read.

Fencraft.

L.L. Cruisers (later relocated to Wroxham).

Mitre Craft.

Pirate Craft.

Scott Cruisers.

In 1974 I noted in a Broads log that 191 cruisers and 0 yachts were available for hire from Brundall. In comparison Wroxham had 307 cruisers and 17 yachts available and Oulton Broad. 145 cruisers and 17 yachts.

Many more hire yards came and went from Brundall over the years with today just Broom Boats and NYA still hiring. Sorry NYA, chartering!

Fred

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, muriel said:

I am interested in the history of Newson boatbuilders Oulton Broad.

I am part of the family (Frederick Martin Newson was my grandfather).

How can i find out more?

Muriel James (nee Newson)

I am guessing you are referring to the yard on Lake Lothing that is now the 102 trust site rather than the hire fleet base in Commodore Road run by the Stratford's?