Hire Yards Of Yesteryear

Roy

1 hour ago, Davydine said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned High Craft at Thorpe, who used to have boats named after hills in the Peak District I think?

Hiring from High Craft was my first experience of the Broads in the 80s as a young boy with my Dad, the boat was called High n Mighty from memory, then we had a boat called High Genesis which was brand new around 85. There was another hire yard in the same dyke, was that Classic Cruisers? Not sure if that has been mentioned.

• Like 1

Can't remember the name but I have it in the back of my mind that there was a small yard which was part of Broadsedge moorings when the whole area was filled with houseboats and a few chalets.

I had a holiday in one of the houseboats which cost me a total of £17.60 including V.A.T. at 10%  (Happy Days) 

Jeff

• Like 1

Mixer Marine were based at Broads Edge, although they weren't that small, at their peak in the late 70s early 80s they had nearly 30 boats. 10 Montego Horizon 35s  about 16 Bounty 37 Tropicanas and Tahitis plus 3 Alpha 32 Roncardos. 

Other yards possibily not mentioned inc Bowers Craft Wayford Marine hired Wayford Witch in 1978.

Corig Cruisers at Thorpe

Neatishead Boatyard at Wayford. 

Babik Boats at Hoveton

Zodiac Cruisers at Hoveton

Bernard Press at Hoveton who worked with Fineway near George Smiths

Various Coral Craft

Nerina boatyard Horning 

Colin Facey Ex Turner of Horning

Woods Dyke Horning 

Pool craft at Beccles 

Bondon South Walsham which became Russell Marine

Aquamarine Loddon

Broadland Cruisers Loddon 

Worsley Craft Loddon which became Greenway

MistralCraft opposite the Staithe now houses 

Walkin Cruisers next to Pacific 

Bell boats Brundall the houseboats are still there 

These are from 70-90s if you go back further their were loads more 

Neil 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I'd not heard of either of those and I didn't know there'd ever been a boatyard at Stokesby. Was it somewhere upstream of the Ferry Inn?

The other end from The Ferry. The boatshed and moorings are still there

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StillCruising said:

In the 70's we started our broads experiences with boats from Moore's. Starting with a Moorehen then Glenmore, Benmore, Rexmore and Merrymoore in subsequent years. 

Back in the day they used to provide a tin of varnish just in case you had a little ding and feit guilty about it !:default_hiding:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Aboattime said:

Back in the day they used to provide a tin of varnish just in case you had a little ding and feit guilty about it !:default_hiding:

I could be wrong but I think hirers in those days were more caring?

• Like 1

I feel the current opinion held by some that hirers today care less than those in the past is somewhat misguided .

If digital cameras , and video along with the public platforms to display captured media were in existence then we would no doubt be witness to the incidents so gleefully posted online today .

I can only speak as I have found and the behaviour of others afloat seems no better or worse to me than it has been over the last 30+ years , every generation produces “idiots” it’s just we now all get to witness bad behaviour almost instantly online , as those who post these videos etc wouldn’t get the viewing figures they wanted if all they posted was the majority of boaters behaving as they do , in a leisurely , respectful manner .

• Like 5

I agree Simon. I rarely experience the things that are seen on various video channels. If/when I do, it can shock, but I use it as a learning session; how would I have done something differently. 

I have no idea how boaters in the past behaved, but I get the impression there were far more boats around so the potential for incidents must have been quite high. All my times hiring have been recently and I would have loved to be given a tin of varnish/paint in case of incident. I would love the idea the boatyard cared. I do remember being asked in 2018 to wash the decks down each day of my hire. I did it religiously.

This enormous list of boatyards, how was there enough business for them all? I suppose that’s why there fewer yards operating now, which is a shame as the history/character of the Broads must have altered. Much like the rest of ‘life’. 

• Like 3