Stracy Arms

Ray

I did wonder how they were managing to keep going. I must admit I haven’t been past during the summer holidays, but we had weeks in May and July this year and there weren’t that many people moored there. We went into the shop but didn’t buy much as we had little cash and they had a minimum spend on card, though would combine shop and cafe purchases. We didn’t go into the cafe though.

Very friendly owner in the shop.

Basically, I don’t think there’s enough β€˜footfall’. Unfortunately. Hope that’s not going to be another mooring lost.Β 

I was surprised as only recently the sails went back on the mill, I imagine that was quite an investment. I hope they are OK and can keep their animals. Ventures like this are people's dreams, it's a very difficult world in which to live a dream.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

Went past last week and noticed all the mooring signs had the fees painted out. Wonder if the lack of fees has made the enterprise uneconomical.Β 

Are you sure the fee signs had been painted over? They had changed the Β£5 fee to Β£6 a while ago and the signs had been changed to reflect this but weren’t very clear. In some cases it did look as though the Β£5 had been blanked out.Β 

It's not unique in being a mooring spot much less busy than it once was. We moored there overnight earlier this month and there were perhaps 10 or 12 boats there. I do hope it doesn't become another Berney Arms, being a slightly sad spot and a shadow of its former self.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

Are you sure the fee signs had been painted over? They had changed the Β£5 fee to Β£6 a while ago and the signs had been changed to reflect this but weren’t very clear. In some cases it did look as though the Β£5 had been blanked out.Β 

Wouldn't stake my life on it... I did think it wasn't clear. One or two looked as though the fee was Β£1. Others as though it had been painted overΒ :35_thinking:

1 hour ago, Ray said:

I was surprised as only recently the sails went back on the mill, I imagine that was quite an investment. I hope they are OK and can keep their animals. Ventures like this are people's dreams, it's a very difficult world in which to live a dream.

As far as I understandΒ  the mill is ran by a trust,notΒ  by the ownersΒ  of SA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray said:

I was surprised as only recently the sails went back on the mill, I imagine that was quite an investment.

I have a feeling that the mill renovation was carried out/funded by a trust or charity of some sort, rather than the shop owners.Β 
I agree about the choice of sticker to update the mooring fee from Β£5 to Β£6. Looked like flowery wheelie bin stickers fromΒ dunelm that just didn’t show up at all.Β 
Fingers crossed there’ll be someone out there ready to take the site over. It has an enormous potential.Β 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

As far as I understandΒ  the mill is ran by a trust,notΒ  by the ownersΒ  of SA

Β 

9 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I have a feeling that the mill renovation was carried out/funded by a trust or charity of some sort, rather than the shop owners

That's good to know, thanks both πŸ‘

2 hours ago, Ray said:

Ventures like this are people's dreams, it's a very difficult world in which to live a dream.

Unfortunately peoples dreams rarely make a good business, I have mentored a number of dreamers, usually advising them to invest their money in a savings account instead.

Small business start up is a faster way to burn money than a boat.

Of 30 odd start ups I have mentored over the years, half stopped in time, 10 failed and 5 or 6 flourished eventually.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

Unfortunately peoples dreams rarely make a good business, I have mentored a number of dreamers, usually advising them to invest their money in a savings account instead.

Small business start up is a faster way to burn money than a boat.

Of 30 odd start ups I have mentored over the years, half stopped in time, 10 failed and 5 or 6 flourished eventually.

One of the Multi-Nationals that I worked for would second us to help small business after so many years service. A kind of "A change is as good as a rest" sabatical.

My experience mirrors yours almost exactly.

• Like 1

The question of moorings is a bit tangled, as I recall. I think the ex-pub, now Hindu community centre/temple, own the majority of the moorings, allowing the shop to collect mooring fees? 3 years ago, when I was last there, some investment was needed - posts missing, silting up etc. I stand to be corrected, of course.Β 

Even thoughΒ  we life near by.We've yet to moor at SA since movingΒ  to Martham. Due mainly to changing boats and mu health.We go past at leastΒ  once a week.Its far from easy getting on and off the road there. We are on the boat in two weeks time and intend to moor there during our week on the boat.Like many I hope who ever buys SA makes a success.Β 

4 minutes ago, Regulo said:

The question of moorings is a bit tangled, as I recall. I think the ex-pub, now Hindu community centre/temple, own the majority of the moorings, allowing the shop to collect mooring fees? 3 years ago, when I was last there, some investment was needed - posts missing, silting up etc. I stand to be corrected, of course.Β 

As far as I know.The temple own moorings up to the boundary of there land.Funny enoughΒ  ten year ago I did considerΒ  buying what is now the temple .That soon was ruled out.There must be an agreementΒ  in place for fees .

I remember years ago, when they built the shed for the new electric pump house, which I presume replaced a diesel pump in one of the outhouses. Β The mill was being completely restored at the time and had no sails. Β When the sails were refitted, it was discovered that the new pump house had been built too close to the mill and the sails couldn't turn.

This is why the pump house now has that peculiar scollop out of one end of the roof!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

At the current asking price I feel it will be a lifestyle choice as opposed to a business venture , listing states that approximately 30 boat mooring spaces are included with the sale , obviously dependant on size of boat .

If I were younger I would have seriously considered it as the opportunity is there to earn 6 to 8% (IMO) on capital investment and with the benefit of a pleasant living space and an asset that is appreciating .

With further investment and the possibility of adding holiday lets (subject to planning) , the returns can obviously be greater .

The one concern I would have is that as the mill is owned now by the trust then rights of access etc could possibly be problematic if wishing to expand the business and buildings footprint.

Β 

I haven't done the maths and I'm just throwing this out with not a lot of thought, but with such a large stretch of mooring, could they not offer permanent moorings for a number of boats as a way of generating revenue. Parking might be an issue for boat owners and some further investment will be needed but if the moorings aren't being used it might be a solution.Β 

• Like 1

We haven’t moored there for a year or so. We like being at the start of the mooring Β (approaching from Stokesby) and there were missing and wobbly posts . In fact we saw one boat tie up and a post snapped off, so rather put us off and haven’t been back since . We may go and have a look when we have our week away soon and see if the posts have been replaced. Β 

• Like 1