Parking At Barns Brinkcraft

hazelgirl

Hi all, I have seen something worrying on a separate social media outlet that you have to leave your car keys when you hire from Barns. 

Is this true? It's been a long time since I last hired from them and to be honest in the past it wouldn't have been a problem.

I read that they take your car and park it up, then bring it back when you are due to return, I'm afraid they won't be able to do that with our car, it's heavily immobilised with a button sequence to start it. My partner would not be happy at all with someone moving it. It does have a tracker so we would know if it was taken for a spin.

Is there any truth in this? as we are due to go on Friday and it's one more worry I don't want to tell my fella, he's already fretting about his first boating holiday lol. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, hazelgirl said:

Hi all, I have seen something worrying on a separate social media outlet that you have to leave your car keys when you hire from Barns. 

Is this true? It's been a long time since I last hired from them and to be honest in the past it wouldn't have been a problem.

I read that they take your car and park it up, then bring it back when you are due to return, I'm afraid they won't be able to do that with our car, it's heavily immobilised with a button sequence to start it. My partner would not be happy at all with someone moving it. It does have a tracker so we would know if it was taken for a spin.

Is there any truth in this? as we are due to go on Friday and it's one more worry I don't want to tell my fella, he's already fretting about his first boating holiday lol. 

Why don't you phone the yard and ask them? :default_blink:

• Haha 1

I remember when my parents hired from Alan & Janet Royall. They always had custody of the car keys though never mentioned the value of the boat we were taking from them.

On one occasion there was one of those fuel scares, all the queues at the pumps etc. Alan checked our tank and topped it up so we had enough fuel to get us home.

Your worry Hazelgirl can cut both ways, but you have given me an idea.

If a boat is returned damaged,  a similar amount of damage should be inflicted on the hirers car. Well, they're both insured ain't they!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Yes, Barnes normally ask for your keys and park your car for you and then get it out when you return. The reason is they have very limited space, so they park the cars up tightly end to end. They do have some "normal" spaces on the right as you approach though, next to their marina. On my last hire, they directed my daughter to park there on the basis she was leaving midweek. Hopefully, if you phone and explain your situation they'll be able to accommodate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Yes, Barnes normally ask for your keys and park your car for you and then get it out when you return. The reason is they have very limited space, so they park the cars up tightly end to end. They do have some "normal" spaces on the right as you approach though, next to their marina. On my last hire, they directed my daughter to park there on the basis she was leaving midweek. Hopefully, if you phone and explain your situation they'll be able to accommodate.

Thank you for the only helpful reply 😂😂.

You'd think it was bad that we care about the security and safety of our car.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bikertov said:

You do hear some real horror stories from Airport parking companies, so I don't blame you for asking.

It's not even that, if we don't run through how to start the car with someone it won't be going anywhere. I've rung them now and they have said they handle all sorts of cars so not to worry.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I remember when my parents hired from Alan & Janet Royall. They always had custody of the car keys though never mentioned the value of the boat we were taking from them.

On one occasion there was one of those fuel scares, all the queues at the pumps etc. Alan checked our tank and topped it up so we had enough fuel to get us home.

Your worry Hazelgirl can cut both ways, but you have given me an idea.

If a boat is returned damaged,  a similar amount of damage should be inflicted on the hirers car. Well, they're both insured ain't they!

Pretty sure we have paid money for the use of their boat for them to take that risk lol.

23 minutes ago, hazelgirl said:

Thank you for the only helpful reply 😂😂.

You'd think it was bad that we care about the security and safety of our car.

I fully understand you asking Lynsey but did you really expect sensible replies from this lot :default_biggrin: You and your man have a lovely time x

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

It's quite a different scenario from airport parking companies I think.

Mainly it's so that if they needed to urgently move vehicles then they have the ability to do so. You're not going to see it cruising around the Hoveton area methinks.

Fully understand that and didn't expect so.

54 minutes ago, Gracie said:

I fully understand you asking Lynsey but did you really expect sensible replies from this lot :default_biggrin: You and your man have a lovely time x

I should have known better, just wish we were going in a car that didn't have this complicated immobiliser business :default_biggrin: it's a faff wherever we take it, the mechanics we go to have to ask every time lol.

• Like 1

Before we first hired I read a load of reviews of different boat yards. I must admit the thing about Barnes needing to move cars around put me off hiring with them. There were some negative reviews that were specifically about that aspect but I’ve no idea whether they were a fair reflection. The majority of customers don’t seem to be bothered.

Barnes do seem to have good policy toward encouraging customer loyalty by offering a hamper to returning customers. Assuming they still do that. 

• Like 2

I don't think it's much different from taking your car for a service and leaving your key so they can move the car around. 

Not all airport parking companies are bad. The one we used recently at Bristol Airport provided a "meet and greet" service for a reasonable price and they were excellent. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gracie said:

Well said Gracie.       Someone asks a sensible question and on a forum of this standard you would expect to receive helpful replies.  Just lately this forum is looking more and more like Facebook.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1