Ram, Brundall

NorfolkNog

4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I'm not one for restaurants and prefer pubs that feed hence always the ferryhouse, if you expect fancy food and service you will be disappointed but if you want a good feed and a welcome you're in the right place. 

It is possible to like both. :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

I don't mind posh, I don't mind a good old pub as long as all are welcome and not treated as if they are not worthy of their establishment. Why would anyone want to return to places like that. Their loss in not having salt of the earth customers spending their hard earned cash x

• Like 4

You've got to love this forum, a thread about The Ram at Brundall and most of the posts are about The Ferry Surlingham and The Waters Edge Bramerton. :default_rofl:

I have drunk in The Ferry but have never eaten there for one simple reason. Whenever I eat in a pub or restaurant I want to know that I have a half reasonable chance of finishing the meal. Nothing puts me of eating in a place more than when I see reviews saying go hungry, the plate was piled high, value for money, more food than you can eat etc. I go out to eat a meal, not for a man versus food type challenge. I've often had a drink at The Ferry and seen food being delivered to the table and thought, that looks really nice, IF only it was half the size. I hate food waste, and I also like leaving room for more beer.

I often drink at The Wherry at Oulton Broad and you see these people coming back from the carvery counter with what can only be described as gravity defying towers of food on a plate. If I go to a carvery, I will only put on the plate what I think I'm going to eat.

With regards to The Water Edge, it's worth stressing the past is the past, and the future is the future. I would hate for anyone to be put off from visiting because of the views they have read on this thread so far. As of the 1st November 2023 it is under new ownership. Try it and judge for yourself, don't rely on old out of date reviews.

Talking of the past, personally I never had a problem at The Waters Edge. I have an ex hire boat, not a gin palace and was always made welcome. We always booked ahead to reserve a mooring and more often than not was greeted as we moored up by Lee, or a member of staff. I know Lee could be considered a Marmite character, but I quite like Marmite. Lee would often ask what you liked and then explain the specials that he thought you might like and how they had been prepared or what ingredients they had been partnered with. The same with wine, he would ask which you prefer and then make some suggestions, based upon what you had ordered. He is a chef first and foremost, who really knows his food and drink combinations and perhaps a temperament that is not always suited to being front of house. Personally I will miss the Waters Edge under Lee's ownership, but will look forward to frequenting in the future and judge the new owners on how they perform, not on the out of date reviews of the past.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Meantime said:

seen food being delivered to the table and thought, that looks really nice, IF only it was half the size.

Ask, they will do a half size of quite a few of their options, last time there Ali had a half liver and bacon, they are very obliging and often off menu is no problem if they have it, I often go for bangers and mash when it's not on the menu, they do breakfasts so of course they have bangers.

I agree with too full a plate being off putting.

Good luck to the waters edge (and the ram as that's where the thread started), not being able to take the dog in has been my sticking point as we always have her with us on the boat, I don't know if that has changed at all with the new owners.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Meantime said:

You've got to love this forum, a thread about The Ram at Brundall and most of the posts are about The Ferry Surlingham and The Waters Edge Bramerton.

:default_norty:

I also like leaving room for more beer

Couldn't agree more :91_thumbsup:

Try it and judge for yourself, don't rely on old out of date reviews.

Very fair point 

• Like 2

The latest fad I've witnessed at The Wherry is people coming back with the main plate piled high and a side plate with two or three Yorkies on, that would more than likely have fallen off if placed on the main plate.

Personally I'm of the everything in moderation camp. I hear that Gracie thinks very similar and will only have one glass of wine on an evening out.

product-image-1287441452.webp

• Haha 9

5 hours ago, Meantime said:

I often drink at The Wherry at Oulton Broad and you see these people coming back from the carvery counter with what can only be described as gravity defying towers of food on a plate. If I go to a carvery, I will only put on the plate what I think I'm going to eat.

I think those establishments are for a certain demographic who consider a plate piled high to be the ultimate holiday dining experience.

Personally, I don't really like that sort of eatery but have been to a fair few of them in my time (the Wherry included).

When you're out with a boat load of mates and everyone is enjoying a few liquid accompaniments then I guess it kind of works, but it wouldn't be my choice if just out with Mrs OG and actually when out with the lads we tend to go for something else.

The Indian in the old station building at Oulton Broad was great last time we were there, and I know the Commodore has changed hands but that was a decent meal.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

The Indian in the old station building at Oulton Broad was great last time we were there, and I know the Commodore has changed hands but that was a decent meal.

We had a takeaway from there (The Labone) last year and it was excellent. 

15 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

The Labone is good, but there is a new kid in town now. The Hut which is about halfway between Labone and the yacht station, above Dinky Town, where the Turkish used to be before it moved above the Broadview Wine bar.

The Commodore used to be run by Moss and Co, before Stonegate took it back inhouse again. Since then trade seems to have suffered. It is galling to compare the same menu being served in The New Inn at Horning, for often a £1, or £1.50 cheaper per item. They must think the people in Oulton have more money to spend!!! The New Inn was also taken back in house by Stonegate around the same time. For those that miss the old Moss and Co. offering, I can recommend The Bell at Carlton Colville, walkable, or a short taxi ride. Also The Jolly Sailors at Pakefield is good, or for a closer Moss and Co, offering they are now running the bar at The Broadlands Marina, the Tingdene site in Oulton Broad.

• Like 1

We eat out as often as possible when on the broads. Breakfast and/lunchtime, a cafe or restaurant will do just fine but in the evening I would always choose pub grub, simply because I want a decent pint (or two) of hand pulled beer to wash it down. Not so many restaurants offer that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I think those establishments are for a certain demographic who consider a plate piled high to be the ultimate holiday dining experience.

Personally, I don't really like that sort of eatery but have been to a fair few of them in my time (the Wherry included).

When you're out with a boat load of mates and everyone is enjoying a few liquid accompaniments then I guess it kind of works, but it wouldn't be my choice if just out with Mrs OG and actually when out with the lads we tend to go for something else.

I’m not necessarily advocating a ‘plate piled high’ is my idea of the ultimate dining experience, but by the same token I do like more than two (small) lettuce leaves and a microscopic piece of fish or meat to be provided for a disproportionate amount of money, even if it has been artistically arranged on a plate, with a tiny jug of fancy jus.

The thing is, we are all individuals and all like different things.  What suits some won’t suit others.  I do like the carvery at The Kings Arms, because I can add what I want to my plate and leave feeling satisfied.  I never have had much of a capacity  for beer - any more than a couple of pints and visits to the loo through the night become far too frequent and disturb my sleep.

What makes a good meal for me is honest food that doesn’t appear to have come from the Brakes Bros catalogue and been chucked in a microwave, a decent atmosphere and something that is sensibly priced.  Fortunately, there are a few pubs on The Broads that satisfy those criteria for me and they’re the one where I’ll choose to spend my pension.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

do I detect a story behind your new choice of avatar?

I don't think so , yet... (I'm sure it gets discussed a few times :default_biggrin:)

Although I think it's only around 50% (if that) of what I post to the jokes thread get allowed through.

I did get banished a long time ago under a different name for daring to take the pee out of myself for getting told off, it was in no way a dig at the mods of the day (I won't mention names but believe one had a flounce and disappeared not long afterwards) but they got the hump and I got blocked, a lighter touch seems to be the order of these things these days.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Meantime said:

Not yet, has it reopened then? :default_rofl::default_coat::default_beerchug:

Ha ha!!! I can see that in the interest of research I will have to check out the Ram personally. :default_beerchug:

We're back shortly, so I'll make a priority of paying it a visit. I've been in many times over the years but I think of late with Covid and changes of management its not really had a lot of stability. The White Heron could do with some competition anyway :default_norty: 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

We're back shortly, so I'll make a priority of paying it a visit.

Evening Light again, Howard? Yes, in the interests of transparent and balanced  information, if you could research the Ram along with every other pub along the Yare I'm sure many of us would be very grateful 🙏

• Haha 3

Ha ha! Yes, I intend to give the local pubs my fullest support Simon and will of course report back! :default_beerchug:

And I'm sure that Mrs Nog will be sampling a few large gins too :default_drink_2:

No, all being well we will be aboard Humber Bridge again from the excellent Bridgecraft. Great winter boat, really cosy. Watch this space.......

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Sounds like I should stick to the Ferry House.

I've never eaten at Coldham Hall - any feedback from there?

Not much wrong with the Ferry House. 

The beer quality at Coldham Hall is outstanding in my humble opinion. Not tried the grub unfortunately but if it's half as good as the beer it will be excellent :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

After one very expensive, poor Sunday meal.

I wished we had been thrown out before getting in!

paul

Ps never went back.

20 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Sounds like I should stick to the Ferry House.

I've never eaten at Coldham Hall - any feedback from there?

BUT please bear in mind The Waters Edge is under new ownership as of 1st November 2023. 

Such comments are not helpful to the new owners who have invested heavily in a business. If your going to be negative about a business under its previous ownership, at least try and make it clear in your posts you are talking historically. Don't trash a business before you know the new owners plans.

• Like 9