Ram, Brundall

NorfolkNog

Glad to hear The Ram is open again. We use to walk up from John Brooms yard, Brundall gardens 20 years ago. They would put a band on sometimes.

Just to add that the Waters Edge is under new owners. 
https://surlingham.org/2024/01/25/a-message-from-waters-edge-new-management-and-introductory-offer/?IYA-mail=876c1480-155f-4bc8-a532-677716f00894

Colin :default_winko:

• Like 2

Good news about the Waters Edge 

The only pub I've ever been thrown out from before I even got in!! 

We had sommat similar, got berthed alongside for an impromptu visit, got asked to leave before we got ashore!

Never been back since

Griff

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Good news about the Waters Edge 

The only pub I've ever been thrown out from before I even got in!! 

We had sommat similar, got berthed alongside for an impromptu visit, got asked to leave before we got ashore!

Never been back since

Griff

Yep! Exactly the same! I got the impression he didn't like hire boats, maybe he just liked customers to arrive  in a Merc or BMW!!! :default_norty:

• Like 1

I got thrown out of Stokesby a little while ago, as she didn't like the way I had moored up and wanted me to move.  I said that the way she wanted would be dangerous when the tide turned ; she got stroppy so I pushed off.  Along with two other boats, who saw this happen and didn't like it.

That was the second time I was thrown out of there.  The first time, I got thrown out of the car park, when I was there on a breakdown, in one of Jenners vans!

• Like 1

Don’t think I can afford to look at the menu tbh.  Not sure they’re dog friendly either.  I’d rather go to somewhere where I’m welcomed regardless, like The Ferry House!

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

The same "Hirecraft unwelcome " was to be the policy had the Bistro at the Berney Arms had not been ruined by Covid never to be heard of again

Excuse me, but that is rather a "sweeping statement" all in one sentence but with nothing to back it up.

If you want to post an opinion like that for discussion on the forum, perhaps you would like to expand on it, so that we can join the debate ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 27/01/2024 at 08:39, NorfolkNog said:

Yep! Exactly the same! I got the impression he didn't like hire boats, maybe he just liked customers to arrive  in a Merc or BMW!!! :default_norty:

I'm sorry to hear that NN. Speaking as I've found, I've phoned on a few occasions in the past and booked a mooring with no problem. Suspect I'd have no problem if I'd had the audacity to bowl up in my Vauxhall either.:4_joy: Let's hope the new owners are boat friendly and you have no problems in the future.

• Like 2

It is always advisable to book a mooring at waters edge as they only have space for 4 maybe 5 boats depending on the size we have been there when there have been many hire boats it’s by far the best riverside resteraunt on the Broards may not be the cheapest but quality

32 minutes ago, Fredrick said:

. . . . . it’s by far the best riverside resteraunt on the Broards may not be the cheapest but quality

Perhaps that’s where lines get crossed.  We’re talking about pubs that potentially serve food and you’ve used the term ‘restaurant’ to describe The Waters Edge.

• Like 1

I suspect that may be a reason why there were so many diverse views about the Water’s Edge under the previous management. A lot is about expectations. Some people rolled up expectating a welcoming pub, whereas it sounds like the place was trying to be more upmarket and snobby.

p.s. I like upmarket if it’s welcoming to all. 

Waters edge always welcomed boats but I think booked made the difference and a huge gin Palace from brundall generally trumped all.

I'm not one for restaurants and prefer pubs that feed hence always the ferryhouse, if you expect fancy food and service you will be disappointed but if you want a good feed and a welcome you're in the right place. 

I recall a group the had stopped at waters edge the day before getting starters at the ferryhouse,  I seem to recall the phrase "oh crap I've ordered a main too" if fairness that was previous management og waters edge so may have changed  but never order food at the ferryhouse unless you are properly hungry.

You can always get a doggy bag.... (and don't have to have a dog)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

p.s. I like upmarket if it’s welcoming to all. 

We moored up to empty moorings, the guy was out like a rat out of a trap, gave us a load of verbal, we never got a word in edgeways, he shouldn't be in the hospitality industry IMHO 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

You can always get a doggy bag.... (and don't have to have a dog)

Rene and I had a liver and bacon casserole at Surlingham Ferry a few years back. Had to ask for doggy bag, and it fed us the next day! Enormous portions and never disappointed on quality. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

Can you still water ski from the side of their moorings. Have sat in a tow boat with the yellow flag to hold upwards should a skier dis mount.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Yes I believe you can.

• Thanks 1